Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
2016 Shelby GT 350
44 Posts
I do like the Dark Horse and 500 horsepower from a coyote engine sounds great however it's a completely different animal compared to a Shelby

So I have a 2016 GT 350 and I blew my motor but it is an opportunity for me to have a complete new build and supercharge
6lbs boost is 700 hp
8 lbs boost is 850 hp

Just ok'd the new build and cut a check for $24,031.10 to my speed shop.

100 miles before I blew my motor - I dropped $3,400.00 (parts and labor) on a Ram dual disk clutch and aluminum flywheel

Of course some Steeda parts were added as well like the "Stop the hop" kit, H-Pipe, and lower front suspension cross brace, and Clutch spring kit for about $1,800.00 parts and labor

Stock my Shelby was superior to the new Dark horse - but soon, in about 8 weeks, my GT 350 will be a $90,000 700/850 hp "screamer"!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several cars recently I just went Ga-Ga over (Laguna Seca Boss 302, GT350, GT500, etc). DH is not one of those. Sorry Ford.
I am so in love with the voodoo engine that I never put my [email protected] stereo on. I just love the sound and pure power she makes. I don’t think I can give it up for any car really. She’s a one of a kind.

· Registered
2016 Shelby GT 350
44 Posts
There are several cars recently I just went Ga-Ga over (Laguna Seca Boss 302, GT350, GT500, etc). DH is not one of those. Sorry Ford.
I get what you're saying.
And you've listed the Mustang based "exotics". And of course there would be the Mach 1 included in the list too.

And not everyone is prepared for the Exotic.

The maintenance, the high-profile look, and in my case my Shelby GT350 is a daily driver. NOT a "garage queen".

And I need a back seat to put my car seat in for my daughter. I couldn't do that in the Laguna Seca with no back seat.

And Ford under rates their horsepower. So in our Speed Shop we're putting them all on the dyno. And they all seem to come in about 20 horsepower more than listed by Ford.

22 GT premium listed at 450hp dynos at 470hp. 22 Mach 1 listed at 470 dynos at 490.

Boss 302 listed at 444 dynos at 464. Bullit listed at 480 dynos at 500. Last two could only be purchased used.

If this trend at Ford of under rating their claimed hp continues their 500hp rated Dark horse should come in at 520hp.

And this is "low profile" look, with a back seat for a childs car seat. Could be a very nice daily driver with 3 year 36,000 mile warranty!

An "under the radar" look that still pulls at 2500 rpm and up....

Affordable. And yet in my opinion not as "flashy in your face" look.

Great for a daily driver if you have a kid or two.

After my new aftermarket supercharged engine build out for $24,031.10 - in about 8 weeks - I will have a daily driver GT 350 with either 700hp or 850hp depending on if I go with 6 lbs boost or 8 lbs boost.

I'll be into my 2016 Shelby GT 350 for about 90K soon, considering my other aftermarket Steeda suspension and frame upgrades, driveline upgrades, and custom made Vossen wheels.

But I will have a KILLER family daily driver....

· Registered
2016 Shelby GT 350
44 Posts
Yes I did dyno my GT 350 - it showed only 14 hp over rated the 526 hp stated
Came in at 540 hp
Okay I'm at the shop today and I just took a look at all the dyno sheets from the additional horsepower that the Fords seem to have above and beyond their stated specifications

And the lowest was my 2016 Shelby GT 350 - which was 14 hp more

All the others that I stated had 20 horsepower more - that was the max figure actually

And without reposting every car again - the lowest was 17 horsepower more and that was on the Bullit

And the highest was 20 horsepower more and that is on the Mach 1

And so between those exotic cars Ford seems to actually have somewhere between 17 and 20 horsepower more - depending - on average - on their cars

And the exception is the lowest additional horsepower of 14 hp on my Shelby GT350

So that seems to be an outlier - but the bell curve seems to be somewhere between 17 and 20 horsepower more than stated on their stated specs

· Registered
2016 Shelby GT 350
44 Posts
In regards to my previous post on how Ford understates their actual horsepower and they're real horsepower turns out to be somewhere between 17 and 20 horsepower more depending on the model

So since there's no way to really measure the horsepower at the crankshaft AKA flywheel it's a mathematical transformation based off of the measured rear wheel horsepower

And for my mathematical transformation I use the generally accepted 15% loss between your crank and your rear wheels soaked up by the driveline and any other accessories that are running off your engine

As an example let's use the actual rear wheel horsepower measured on the dyno

And let's say it read 450 horsepower. So that's after about a 15% loss from the horsepower at the crank. And so the equation looks like this

450 X 1.15 = 517
Measured 450 hp at the rear wheels
Pretty accurate that Its 517 hp at the crankshaft

· Registered
2016 Shelby GT 350
44 Posts
In regards to my previous post on how Ford understates their actual horsepower and they're real horsepower turns out to be somewhere between 17 and 20 horsepower more depending on the model

So since there's no way to really measure the horsepower at the crank shaft AKA flywheel it's a mathematical transformation based off of the measured rear wheel horsepower

And for my mathematical transformation I use the generally accepted 15% loss between your crank and your rear wheels soaked up by the driveline and any other accessories that are running off your engine

As an example let's use the actual rear wheel horsepower measured on the dyno

And let's say it read 450 horsepower. So that's after about a 15% loss from the horsepower at the crank. And so the equation looks like this

450 X 1.15 = 517
Measured 450 hp at the rear wheels
Pretty accurate that Its 517 hp at the crankshaft
And remember that rear wheel horsepower is a function of rpm
And rear wheel torque is a transformation of that horsepower into energy

· Registered
2017 GT350 Shadow Black/Blue stripes
39 Posts
Always a difficult dilemma, regardless of what car trim/year/manufacturer you're talking about. There will always be a newer model, more HP, better technology and faster 1/4 miles times. However, I try to really stick with a car that speaks to me, otherwise I'd be flipping for the newest/greatest thing every couple years. Not an economical solution, or as the OP said.. don't have a 10 car garage. Is my 350 the fastest - no, most reliable - no, most advanced - no... but do I count down the months to drive it again (stored for winters :() Absolutely. Does it speak to me when I go for those back road drives - YES. In my opinion, I do not like where most car manufacture's are going in design. I prefer more of an analogy experience, and the new mustang design does not deliver that.

Different cars appeal to different end users. Find something that you love, regardless of others opinions, and drive the sh** out of it. When (if) it's time to try something else, keep the same goal in mind. The DH does not excite me For now, my Shelby thrills me to the bone.

· Super Moderator
80 Posts
Your opinion is as valid as everyone else
I like the looks and performance of my GT 350
I also like the looks of the other "exotics"
I like the DH as well...
I’ll add the 19 Bullit and current Mach1 to my GA-GA list above. As was mentioned above, not a fan of the front end of the new 650 chassis. Maybe that will change when I see it in person. Many of the designs coming out in the last 2 years by several OEMs just look overdone and stupid (My opinion). Love the C8.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure where the mindset comes from that there is no comparison. While the Darkhorse may not be as limited as a GT350 and not have the voodoo, it should be a very strong competitor for the track and corners just like the Bullet and new Machs. The GT350 is built by Ford, not Shelby - same as the Darkhorse. I am a BIG GT350 fan and own a 2019 - I can't imagine parting with it but if the Darkhorse is really impressive and seems to lay down track times and stats comparable to the GT350, I'd consider it potentially. It would be hard to match the feel of a voodoo though!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Always a difficult dilemma, regardless of what car trim/year/manufacturer you're talking about. There will always be a newer model, more HP, better technology and faster 1/4 miles times. However, I try to really stick with a car that speaks to me, otherwise I'd be flipping for the newest/greatest thing every couple years. Not an economical solution, or as the OP said.. don't have a 10 car garage. Is my 350 the fastest - no, most reliable - no, most advanced - no... but do I count down the months to drive it again (stored for winters :() Absolutely. Does it speak to me when I go for those back road drives - YES. In my opinion, I do not like where most car manufacture's are going in design. I prefer more of an analogy experience, and the new mustang design does not deliver that.

Different cars appeal to different end users. Find something that you love, regardless of others opinions, and drive the sh** out of it. When (if) it's time to try something else, keep the same goal in mind. The DH does not excite me For now, my Shelby thrills me to the bone.
Well said. As for me, my GT350 is the best all around performance car I have ever owned. It’s also the most reliable. My only issue with the car is the front turn signals which is going to the dealer in 3 weeks to get checked out all under warranty. I do like the DH but not enough to give up the Shelby for it.

· Super Moderator
80 Posts
Well said. As for me, my GT350 is the best all around performance car I have ever owned. It’s also the most reliable. My only issue with the car is the front turn signals which is going to the dealer in 3 weeks to get checked out all under warranty. I do like the DH but not enough to give up the Shelby for it.
I bought a 2017 GT350 in Nov of 2021 with 29K on the odo. I’ve only put about 500 miles on it (I have collector insurance on all my Mustangs now, with limited mileage to keep the rates down). I have not yet driven a GT500 so I can’t compare it to that, but it is by far the best put together Mustang I’ve ever driven (& I’ve owned and driven MANY since the mid 80s). The car was definitely developed by enthusiasts inside Ford that understood road courses, not just 1/4 mile racing. Hopefully that spirit carries over to the S650 chassis, but the bean counters have a habit of taking great projects and numbing them due to cost-cutting efforts.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts