Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well. I'm planning on giving her a full detail, throwing her on a battery tender, Sta-bil in the tank, car cover on, and placing a 2 deep layer of carpeting under the tires in an attempt to keep them from flattening out over the long park. I'll probably start it once a month to get the oil flowing around and keep any deposits from forming in the engine. Works for my buddy's 'Vette, so it should work just fine for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I asked a fellow user who lives in MA they do the following:

- fill her up to avoid condensation in the tank (which will happen if you suck it dry), and use "stabil" octane stabilizer.
- also hook it up to a good battery charger/ maintainer like Cytek, never took battery off...
- for the flat tires issue, I simply overinflate them to 42 or so PSI; never had an issue in spring.

I'm still debating whether or not to store it. We get no snow here in ga but the car does have to sit outside as we don't have a garage. Not the end of the world. The coldest it will get here is 20* but I plan on switching it out with my dd every other week so the pain won't be too bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine will be driving the roads to prevent winter storage issues.
+1. Planning on changing the oil soon then driving at least once/month when the roads are dry (a little bit of an issue in Seattle). Been following this plan with the 66 GT350 for over 30 years and never had any problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winter is rough on cars here in Wisconsin. Between the below zero temps, large amounts of snow and road salt eating away at your car it's not worth driving in the winter months.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just prepped mine for storage today...usually away by 1-Oct but I had some other car airbag stuff to deal with so everything late for storage.

Filled with gas, washed (removed wheels and did a though clean and wax...brake dust is horrible on this car), oil changed, overinflated tires by 5psi, place in storage spot in shop, plug in Ctek charger, throw car cover on, call insurance co. and remove all but comprehensive coverage...see it again in April. Adios

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Just to add to the above, in the past I've had mice decide to live in my engine bay(car is stored in a garage attached to the house), nests and seed found. To overcome this I use Bounce Fabric Softner sheets (I'm told the generic brands don't work) when I pit the car away. I place ten in the engine area, scattered throughout, and one in each tail pipe. Store the car from Non to April, covered, battery tender on and over the last five yrs haven't seen any sign of mice. FYI

·
Registered
247 Posts
Woah...some great tips in here, including some new ones. Just me personally, the only thing that dictates a winter storage would be salt on the road. Temp alone is not a reason. I’ll keep driving until they drop the white stuff. Because of that, I typically end up not using stabilizer in my tank. It’s gonna get driven too often to justify it.

What would you guys say is the min length of sitting time when you’d want to use that though; couple weeks? Month?

I’ve never heard that about the dryer sheets for mice. That’s crazy. Wonder why that works.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What would you guys say is the min length of sitting time when you’d want to use that though; couple weeks? Month?
Been storing cars for MI winters, 5-6 months in storage, since 2001..never used stabilizer. Includes carburetated domestic classics.. Just fill it up with fresh fuel then store.

Salt is a concern, you're right, but when temps head below 45 degrees, the summer tires turn to stone. The Pilot Sports are aren't too bad but get slick. Worst were the Good Years on my '14 GT500. I swapped ends a couple times when taking turns and had to be careful.

Be careful in the cold temps. That's why 1-Oct is my target store date.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Been storing cars for MI winters, 5-6 months in storage, since 2001..never used stabilizer. Includes carburetated domestic classics.. Just fill it up with fresh fuel then store.

Salt is a concern, you're right, but when temps head below 45 degrees, the summer tires turn to stone. The Pilot Sports are aren't too bad but get slick. Worst were the Good Years on my '14 GT500. I swapped ends a couple times when taking turns and had to be careful.

Be careful in the cold temps. That's why 1-Oct is my target store date.
Start my paranoia, what's wrong with cold temps? I plan on keeping the car outside not past 20* and firing her up for work around 5:50 while it defrosts the front windshield.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Start my paranoia, what's wrong with cold temps? I plan on keeping the car outside not past 20* and firing her up for work around 5:50 while it defrosts the front windshield.
Page 43 from Owner Supplement plus my experience having driven cars with summer tires whilst cold out.
Your choice, your car just saying......

Font Screenshot Number Circle Rectangle

·
Registered
249 Posts
The key words here are ice and snow. If you don't have the cup 2's (which would be bad on street any temp and will crack if outside below 45 degrees) then you will be just fine with caution as long as streets are dry and you use caution let them warm a bit driving if can slower and not do rapid driving like you would in summer. I drove my 16 and 17 all winter when pavement dry and sometimes down in the teens and no problem. Lots of people drive there car still in winter with summer tires with careful caution.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh yea, agree on the tires. I drove mine on the PSS's last winter (dry roads only). I don't know that I would go as far as to label it "dangerous", but it certainly behooves you to drive a little differently and to be aware. I have Conti Extreme Contacts this year, but they're the Sport (not the older body style DWS), so I'm expecting about the same performance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought Extreme Contacts for my DD which I used to run PSS. When I went to see if Extreme Contacts were available for my other car, the GT350, it didn't come up. What did you find for the GT350? Besides making sure the tires can handle the road. Are there issues with the belts and etc at the 20* range that we should worry about? My other DD seems to run fine and it's built in KOREA. lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't search for tires for the car as I knew what I wanted. I'm running 305/30 & 325/30 combo. Yes, I have R spec wheels. I doubt there's any fear or concern for damage to the tire itself just based off temp, just the fact that traction will suck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts