Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the onset of fall & winter approaching here in the northeast and temps set to fall into the negative what if any procedures do you guys/gals take to keep the vehicle safe for the hibernation period it will be garaged. I'm old school and very suspicious of putting additives (stabil oil) other than gas into my gas tank. What are the pros & cons of using this additive if any?. Is there any other additional safety concerns we should be aware of for the long winter ahead. A friend of mine had a problem with mice getting into his engine compartment and having a good old feast on the electrics of his car in the past i remember. And that in itself caused all sort of problems for him when spring rolled around again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Boaters have had the same issues for years since the introduction of 10% ethanol. I have used StarTron for years with no adverse effects. In fact, the my one boat is taken out very infrequently and I can't tell you how old the gas is that is in the tank--starts right up every time with no water separation or absorption issues.
Mice can be an issue--I set traps and make sure there is no food. They are looking for shelter and if food is nearby--your car will be home. People have tried all sorts of things to deter mice including moth balls. May want to get a cat

good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the fuel additives are a waste of time with modern ethanol added fuel. Research phase separation. Are you going to put it up on jack stands? You might consider running it dry and putting 5 gallons of unleaded race fuel in it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Been using Stabil in my cars, tractors and motorcycles for 40 years, and never had an issue with gas quality 1 year later or fuel related problems in any of the systems.
Every year I need to store on of my 5 cars in a barn in the area due to space constraints. I have been alternating between cars the last few years and have been putting dryer sheets under the seat, in the trunk , in the tail pipes and in the engine compartment. I haven't had any mice problems and the vehicle smells April fresh in the spring. Much better than mothballs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Stabil is fine for fuel without ethanol. Kind of a waste in ethanol fuels. I drained some fuel from a car that had been sitting for 2 years. Usual poor California ethanol. The fuel wouldn't even burn in an open pan. Smelled awful as well. Nothing will prevent phase separation in ethanol. This push for "greener" fuels had significantly reduced the shelf life of our fuels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's talk in this thread of not mixing Stabil with gas that contains ethanol. First thing, do yourself a favor, go for a damn good drive(s) so that your tank is almost empty, then fill it with ethanol-free gas. Ethanol is evil stuff and I won't let it near any of my vehicles, and neither should you.

Then you can add the prescribed amount of Stabil and you'll be fine.

Put a few extra pounds of pressure into your tires if you like (it helps to keep them round) and park it on four patches of Styrofoam SM if you like (this will form itself to the shape of your tires over time) which will also help to keep them round, and it will keep them off your freezing concrete floors.

Last but not least, leave it connected to a battery tender, and absolutely DO NOT be temped to start her, not even once, since it's really not good for the engine unless you bring her fully up to temp and go for a decent drive to burn off the condensation that will have formed once you start her. Best not to start her at all.

You cannot go wrong with CTEK battery chargers -- the CTEK Multi US 4.3 model looks especially good, and can be purchased for a decent price on eBay etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great advice by the others. I plan on filling with non-ethanol 91 octane that's available in my area. I use a CTEK 3300 for the battery and am researching which 'comfort connect' is appropriate for my 350. Unless I am convinced otherwise, I plan on following the steps for long-term storage from the Mustang Owner's Manual:

VEHICLE STORAGE*
If you plan on storing your vehicle for 30 days or more, read the following maintenance recommendations to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition. We engineer and test all motor vehicles and their components for reliable, regular driving. Under various conditions, long-term storage may lead to degraded engine performance or failure unless you use specific precautions to preserve engine components.

General
• Store all vehicles in a dry, ventilated place.
• Protect from sunlight, if possible.
• If vehicles are stored outside, they require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.

Body
• Wash your vehicle thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and the underside of front fenders.
• Periodically wash your vehicle if it is stored in exposed locations.
• Touch-up exposed or primed metal to prevent rust.
• Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when you wash your vehicle.
• Lubricate all hood, door and luggage compartment hinges and latches with a light grade oil.
• Cover interior trim to prevent fading.
• Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.

Engine
• Change the engine oil and filter prior to storage because used engine oil contains contaminates which may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

Vehicle Care
• With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.
• We recommend that you change the engine oil before you use your vehicle again.

Fuel system
• Fill the fuel tank with high-quality fuel until the first automatic shutoff of the fuel pump nozzle.

Cooling system
• Protect against freezing temperatures.
• When removing your vehicle from storage, check coolant fluid level. Confirm that there are no cooling system leaks and that fluid is at the recommended level.

Battery
• Check and recharge as necessary. Keep connections clean.
• If storing your vehicle for more than 30 days without recharging the battery, we recommend that you disconnect the battery cables to maintain battery charge for quick starting. Note: It is necessary to reset memory features if battery cables are disconnected.

Brakes
• Make sure the brakes and parking brake release fully.

Tires
• Maintain recommended air pressure.

Miscellaneous
• Make sure all linkages, cables, levers and pins under your vehicle are covered with grease to prevent rust.
• Move vehicles at least 25 ft (7.5 m) every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion.

Removing Vehicle From Storage
When your vehicle is ready to come out of storage, do the following:
• Wash your vehicle to remove any dirt or grease film build-up on window surfaces.
• Check windshield wipers for any deterioration.
• Check under the hood for any foreign material that may have collected during storage such as mice or squirrel nests.
• Check the exhaust for any foreign material that may have collected during storage.
• Check tire pressures and set tire inflation per the Tire Label.
• Check brake pedal operation. Drive your vehicle 15 ft (4.5 m) back and forth to remove rust build-up.
• Check fluid levels (including coolant, oil and gas) to make sure there are no leaks, and fluids are at recommended levels.
• If you remove the battery, clean the battery cable ends and check for damage. Contact an authorized dealer if you have any concerns or issues.

*Mustang (CZG) Canada/United States of America, Vehicles Built From: 13-07-2015 Vehicles Built Up To: 01-05-2016, enUSA, Edition date: 10/2015, Second
Printing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts