Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Shelby friends! I am ready to get my Magnetic ride tinted. Here in Virginia, we cannot legally go darker than 35%, which is okay with me as I am not particularly a fan of the darker 20%. I'm fearful that 35% may also be too dark so I am thinking 50%. My salesman is suggesting that I go 35% on the rear window and do the sides 50% as the added reduction in rear window lighting will make the 50% look darker on the sides with the black interior. Please share you thoughts, opinions, experiences, and of course photos with details on the tinting level.

Oh, one more thing. My salesman mentioned that due to the rear window having the defroster lines palpable on the inside, that tinting the rear window darker will help hide the imperfections and possibility of premature bubbling as the defroster lines are not flush or within the glass. He stated that he would have to manually use a razor blade to cut along the lines. Is this true/normal?

Please and thank you!
Dr. IDO VUDU

·
Registered
73 Posts
20% on the sides and 35% on the rear window. The defrost lines are more pronounced with the tint and they appear RED. Know that going in. I didn’t like that at first, but it’s grown on me. So much, that I’ve gotten a red lettered rear license plate holder that says “GT350”.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Xtrachrispy- can ya post some pics for comparison?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 20% and always do 20% on my cars. You can see out at night and even though 35% is legal tint here in Kansas most cops/KHP won't bother you cause they can slightly see you in the car. I can't imagine 80% it would be like no tint at all either on or in the glass.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My profile pic is without. Here is with:

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
[MENTION=339]johnny1[/MENTION], you are correct that 80% is like no tint at all. I wanted a stock look, but with UV blocking to help with the heat here in Texas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks to those who have posted so far. I would love to see more photos, particularly 35% and 50% tinting. I cannot do 20% in Virginia due to law restrictions, nor do I want it.

Does the rear tinting affect the auto-dimming of the rear view mirror from headlights behind you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dark tint would affect the auto-dimming rear view mirror but wouldn't matter cause with darker tint not much headlight light can shine through any way. I usually put limo tint on my rear window and 20% on side windows. Cops have to put a tint meter over the top of the window glass when down some to get a reading (here in Kansas) which obviously they can't do on any glass that can't be rolled down some at the top.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did 35% on the sides and back. Max legal in GA is 32%. Looks great and definitely not too dark. No issues driving during the day or at night.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello Shelby friends! I am ready to get my Magnetic ride tinted. Here in Virginia, we cannot legally go darker than 35%, which is okay with me as I am not particularly a fan of the darker 20%. I'm fearful that 35% may also be too dark so I am thinking 50%. My salesman is suggesting that I go 35% on the rear window and do the sides 50% as the added reduction in rear window lighting will make the 50% look darker on the sides with the black interior. Please share you thoughts, opinions, experiences, and of course photos with details on the tinting level.

Oh, one more thing. My salesman mentioned that due to the rear window having the defroster lines palpable on the inside, that tinting the rear window darker will help hide the imperfections and possibility of premature bubbling as the defroster lines are not flush or within the glass. He stated that he would have to manually use a razor blade to cut along the lines. Is this true/normal?

Please and thank you!
Dr. IDO VUDU
I used Photosync tint. It changes tint levels based on the outside conditions. Because my car is black the tint tends to look darker as the black seems to add to the tint color. It's especially helpful at night with it being lighter to see better in the dark. When the sun is out it's darker. I also have it on the front window. It helps with glare and protects the interior dash that is exposed to sunlight.

35% is the legal limit here too. When I was younger I had a black car that I went way below legal. Looked really cool but I did actually have a cop pull me over once and slap a device on my window to measure the tint and then gave me a nice fat ticket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with 20 all the way around on my Magnetic. Highly recommend 35 on the doors. I can't see squat at night...lol.

Oh, and it's illegal to go darker than 35% here too, but so far so good. Retired military plates may be helping me, I dunno.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a high end ceramic tint with a lifetime warranty. The installer said that the warranty will be much easier to enforce if the tint level is legal. An installer may allow you to put an illegal tint on your car, but the manufacturer may not be willing to pay to fix an illegal tint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have 20% on the back and rear seat windows. 35% on the front seat windows. I have zero issues driving at night.

I too am in VA and have had no issues with the cops. I'm back/forth to DC for work and pass half a dozen state troopers daily.

Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts