Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of this 18 Friday night. I traded my 17 GT with the PP option. I loved every minute of that car and never imagined trading it in. Especially since I had it paid off for the last year and a half and it only had 27K miles on it. But a Shelby was always a dream of mine and when I began watching this particular GT350 in Sept of this year on cargurus the temptation became overwhelming when the price dropped under $60K.

I guess the rest is history as they say as it now sits in my driveway. So I've heard about the oil consumption. This has just 12.5K miles on it and to me the interior and exterior appear to be mint. I am hoping it was well maintained but wondering if I should try and put some time of extended warranty plan on it and what might be the best one?

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

· Registered
195 Posts
Great color - congrats.

If you can afford the Ford extended it's a good idea. As with all cars these days stuff gets expensive... window regulators, etc. Mechanical even more so. If you hunt around you'll see a lot of info threads on where to get a warranty. Many use Lombard Ford -- google is your friend.

Do yourself a favor and religiously check the oil every two fill ups. Follow the manual suggestions (15 minute wait period). For track use (if inclined) I check oil after "every run".

I use all Ford OEM recommended fluids. Many use other high quality fluids - YMMV. The main reason I use Motorcraft is so there is no discussion in the event of an issue as I am under warranty. My GT350 receives more than recommended service intervals. They won't ever tell me I've not followed instructions.

Most fun car I have ever owned (barring one perhaps). I hope you feel the same way. Enjoy.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is so true BV. Everyone it seems wants to race or at the very least goad me into showing what a GT350 can do. That or talk to me about how fast a Tesla is. I tend not to pay much attention to any vehicle that is missing the 3rd pedal. Many very nice and powerful cars that aren't manual and I don't look down at them but we know its a very different driving experience.

· Registered
195 Posts
That is so true BV. Everyone it seems wants to race or at the very least goad me into showing what a GT350 can do. That or talk to me about how fast a Tesla is. I tend not to pay much attention to any vehicle that is missing the 3rd pedal. Many very nice and powerful cars that aren't manual and I don't look down at them but we know its a very different driving experience.
LOL.

Maybe you can help this old guy with what I experience all the time... each and every sports car with some type of tuned exhaust (most sounding TERRIBLE) has to blip their throttle loudly each time they pass me in either direction? WTH? I never did it when I was 18, 24, or 30, and don't do it now.

Do they think it is cool?

Do they think they are faster?

Do they know how stupid it makes them?

Did they spend more on mods than they bought that WRX for?

Do they live paycheck to paycheck?

... alright - sorry about this.. got carried away.

· Super Moderator
80 Posts
LOL.

Maybe you can help this old guy with what I experience all the time... each and every sports car with some type of tuned exhaust (most sounding TERRIBLE) has to blip their throttle loudly each time they pass me in either direction? WTH? I never did it when I was 18, 24, or 30, and don't do it now.

Similar to my fellow motorcyclists with the “official sign of respect” ✌ I think that is them acknowledging the Uber-cool GT350. Just the fact that Ford had the sack to create a FPC 5.2L with an incredible exhaust [from the factory] has a large amount of what’s left of the car community very thankful. In an era of car companies cutting costs [and thinking there’s this huge market for soul-less EVs] I’m also thankful. I’m equally thankful for ZL1s, Z06s and Hellcats.

· Registered
2 Posts
#1: Watch for stupid drivers.
#2: People who want to play chicken with you in traffic because they see you in a nice new "elite" Mustang and don't care if they damage your nice car that they envy.

...the typical stuff that goes along with owning a Mustang.
I had this happen to me last week when I was driving my 67 Shelby GT500. I was slowing down to turn into a side street (directional on well before slowing down) and some yahoo deliberately turned into my lane behind me way too fast! Pissed me off. I'm always worried about someone on their cell phone running into me. I always leave myself a lot of room to avoid everyone.
My brother had some idiot run into his 40 Ford Deluxe a few years ago.
Rant over :)

· Registered
93 Posts
Similar to my fellow motorcyclists with the “official sign of respect” ✌ I think that is them acknowledging the Uber-cool GT350. Just the fact that Ford had the sack to create a FPC 5.2L with an incredible exhaust [from the factory] has a large amount of what’s left of the car community very thankful. In an era of car companies cutting costs [and thinking there’s this huge market for soul-less EVs] I’m also thankful. I’m equally thankful for ZL1s, Z06s and Hellcats.
Agreed! I also blip the throttle when I am trying to rev match & it does sound cool ;)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL.

I guess generally I am a car guy. What I like and what I choose to spend my money on are certainly two very different animals. 53 now I never had a really nice car when I was young. I had a couple of crotch rockets to go fast but then the kids started coming along and that didn't seem wise. I did quite a few years with the trucks and SUVs. Now I am about to embarrass myself but in an effort to be as transparent as I can and tell a good story I'll admit this...

When the kids got older and were basically driving on their own and I didn't need to cart them around to ball games and stuff I wanted something sporty so I bought an Eclipse. With a sizeable commute of 35 miles each way and gas prices high at the time I thought it a good option. But (don't laugh) it really lacked HP. I would look at Mustangs all the time and even once test drove an 06 Mustang with a Rousch Stage 2 set-up. But gas prices and my commute always deterred me from pulling the trigger.

My old boss (a few years younger than me) was a car guy. He suggested I take a look at a Focus ST. So I did. I picked one up and drove the heck out of that car but still I was always dreaming of a real muscle car. In Nov 2017 my company sent us all to work from home as they didn't want to renew the office space lease. My commute suddenly went from 70 miles a day to 0. I saw my opportunity and snagged the 5.0 in Jan 18.

Its funny how many people mistook this for a Shelby. When they would ask "is that a Shelby" I would laugh and say no I wish. Maybe one day. It was strange getting so much attention about a car but I enjoyed it. I enjoy talking to all sorts of folk and if cars are the common denominator then I try to embrace it.

The other day I was in line at the coffee shop and my Shelby was parked out front. A young man 23-24 ish in sweats with his hoodie up was standing over yonder waiting for his order. He strolled over to me as I was waiting to place my order and asked "Is that your GT500" I laughed and said "I wish...It's a GT350 but yes" he said it's really nice and I thanked him and blathered on a bit about how long it took me to own such a car.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

· Administrator
1965 Mustang
139 Posts
67 and still ride. Moved to cruisers a few years ago. Get ride year round in the Texas Hill Country. Vulcan for one up travels and trike for two up with wife. Knees ain't what they used to be. Three wheels is better than not riding. It's fun in It's own way.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

With my Stang.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

· Super Moderator
80 Posts
There has been a lot of CHP activity around here lately. I rode to Malibu last Saturday and there we speed traps everywhere. I turned up Kanan Dume from PCH and told the guys in the car with me that there was almost always a CHP hiding on that section getting guys coming down the hill. 30 seconds after I said that we turned a bend a CHP motorcycle officer had a 66 Shelby GT350 pulled over. Felt bad for the guy. Maybe he just wanted a closer look at the car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts