GT350.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I bought my 2019 GT350 earlier this year. Didn’t drive the car much with all the lockdowns, and yet somehow, my car ended up making a shudder sound while braking, from the front driver’s side. The pedal shakes and there’s a ton of vibration. Took it to the dealer, and as I suspected, it was warped rotors. At 2300 miles.

The dealer is trying to resurface/turn my rotor, but I remember a service bulletin that specifically says NOT to turn the rotors on GT350’s. Here it is:

SSM 45903 - 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 And GT350R Brake Service
2015-2017 Shelby GT350 and GT350R vehicles should not have the brake rotors machined when servicing the brake system. Replacement of brake rotors is the only acceptable service of brake rotors on GT350 and GT350R vehicles. GT350 and GT350Rvehicles are equipped with a brake system designed for high speed and superior fade resistance. Occasional brake squeal and elevated levels of brake dust may occur. This is normal and does not affect brake system performance. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 206-00 and the Mustang Owner's Manual and the Shelby GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement for further information.

Thing is, it only mentions 2015-2017’s, but does it also include the 2018-2020’s? My supplement manual doesn’t have anything about this. Not sure if the FSM’s have it either.

I told the dealer about this and they said there are no service bulletins for this car regarding this issue, so they will just resurface the rotor. But where do I find anything that states this should be handled differently?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry the issue. I unfortunately had debris collect in a pad and create a fairly deep trench in the pad. The trench resulted in the rotor wearing unevenly and needing resurfacing.
I brought both front rotors to a very highly regarded machine shop here in VA and he milled the face of both rotors. The workmanship was great but unfortunately it completely destroyed the rotors. It generated a ton of runout and the rotors shuttered pretty bad.
After that experience as well as speaking with many Ford performance techs, no, the rotors should not be turned or resurfaced.

hope that helps.
James

·
Registered
9 Posts
They tell you the rotors are 'Warped" but in reality there's no such thing. The shudder is caused by uneven pad material deposit on the rotor which in turn is the result of the pads not being bedded-in properly. You might be able to save them by trying to bed them in properly as explained in the 'Track' section of the GT350 supplement manual. On my other track Mustang I beat on them to the point of having cracks wide enough to put a quarter through. There was plenty of scoring / and every crack description from small "relief" hairline cracks to quarter thickness gulfs from high heat but never any 'Warping"

The '19 and '20 GT350's have gone to a plain rotor design which Ford says better for track / more durable and that's true, I have tried all the above on the track car and saw it firsthand. You might be able to have those turned. Generally speaking you can't turn drilled rotors but plain ones are usually OK. I would check with local machine shops. If you can't save them by bedding them in properly, you have nothing to loose by trying to have them turned as they are already ruined otherwise...

Here's more details on what's happening with the shudder: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6444

1 - 3 of 3 Posts