Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Shelby Owner here, i have always had a dream of owning one and finally found a great one with 5000 miles on it. 2017, all options with Recaro seats. JLT passenger and driver side catch cans. Not sure of any other modifications other than wider tires (325 in the rear and 305 in the front) and lowered about an inch.

I took the car out to the dream cruise here in michigan this past weekend, no issues. The next day i went out, parked, got back in and started it up to one of the most horrifying noises i have ever heard. Sounded like a dry engine starting, lifters clacking and clicking like crazy for about 3 seconds (felt like an eternity). Then it went away. I drove very gingerly home and noticed that it would make the ticking noise when making turns.

Got home, checked the oil and it was about a half of a quart low. Seemed like it made an awful lot of noise for a half of a quart low.

On another (possibly related note) my oil pressure gauge has been acting up a bit. Under a steady load, say cruising at 70 MPH in 5th Gear. the pressure will fluctuate from about 50 PSI to about 75-90 PSI, for no apparent reason. Not adjusting throttle at all. It seems like quite a bit of adjustment for no load adjustment.

Seems like some weird issues for a car with now 7500 miles on it.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
30 Posts
First, when was the last oil and filter change?

There have been oil presure issues with cars withing that year range, due to faulty oil pump issues. This resulted in several blown engines. Hope it had an extended warranty when you bought it

·
Registered
30 Posts
I never liked the JLT catch cans for our car, which is a bummer considering i run them on my raptor and explorer. I felt that that since the passenger was sorta "suspended" without being mounted, that it could cause tension issues and eventually blow off. Anyways....

What you're hearing sounds like the symptoms of low oil pressure and a lack of oil to the head with initial start. Its possible that the pump is getting enough pressure after a couple seconds, but thats not going stop the initial damage.

How much have you been beating on the car? These motors are known for blowby under good load. If you've been beating on it, that might be normal burnoff, but if not, thats a little concerning.

Did you pull the catch cans? How much oil did you find in there? I see about 1oz every 1000miles in my passenger side.

Overall, I think you need to get the sound on video, be able to duplicate it (only try a copule more times), and then flat bed it to the dealer. Given that new voodoos are still $24k plus labor, you wanna protect that engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
an update here, i took it in yesterday got an early oil change done, and that actually seemed to fix the oil pressure guage problem... weird. Then today i went to take it for a spin and fired it up. Right at start the valvetrain started ticking like crazy again for a second then stopped. Seems as though the pump is not getting oil up to the top of the engine quick enough for a start, or there is some play in the lifters or valvetrain that goes away when oil does get up there. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

here is a quick video where you can hear it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like I said, there have been known oil pump issues with these cars within the years your car falls into. Get the oil pump checked, before it's too late.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking it in tomorrow, they said they will likely have it for a few weeks, guess thats it for cruising season here in michigan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update: went to take it in to the dealer today and saw a small (about 5 inch diameter) oil spot on the ground, my guess is the last oil tech didnt torque the oil filter down enough, or didnt tighten the drain plug all of the way. They are going to check that as well as test oil pump for proper pressure

·
Registered
30 Posts
update: went to take it in to the dealer today and saw a small (about 5 inch diameter) oil spot on the ground, my guess is the last oil tech didnt torque the oil filter down enough, or didnt tighten the drain plug all of the way. They are going to check that as well as test oil pump for proper pressure
And that was also a problem, and the reason for many earlier GT350's engine failures. Techs weren't properly torquing the oil filters, and they were blowing the seal, and losing all the oil. Reason they went to the canister filter system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
an update here, i took it in yesterday got an early oil change done, and that actually seemed to fix the oil pressure guage problem... weird. Then today i went to take it for a spin and fired it up. Right at start the valvetrain started ticking like crazy again for a second then stopped. Seems as though the pump is not getting oil up to the top of the engine quick enough for a start, or there is some play in the lifters or valvetrain that goes away when oil does get up there. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

here is a quick video where you can hear it
Glad you have that recorded. My 18 sheared the oil pump drive at highway speed, I headed for the shoulder-she seized solid before I got stopped. It is a $24K engine. It took 5 weeks for me to get her back. The dealer was booked and didn't touch her for a week, then Ford would not ship a replacement long block until the dealer verified "point of failure". After 10 days and nothing getting done I FedEx'd letters to Ford leadership, board of directors, regional and zone managers. That broke the log jam, the dealer was authorized to use a bore scope to verify the carnage. An engine was shipped the next day, I got her back 2 weeks later. This was at 5600 miles. I'm nearing 16,000 total, so 11K on the new engine with no issues. IF YOU ARE GETTING A NEW ENGINE, FRPP offers a strengthened oil pump drive. It's $300 or so, and 3-4 hours to install on an engine on the floor. Labor goes to $1500 if the engine is in the car. I didn't find out about till my new engine was installed. If you are under warranty you may be able to get Ford to cover part or all. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad you have that recorded. My 18 sheared the oil pump drive at highway speed, I headed for the shoulder-she seized solid before I got stopped. It is a $24K engine. It took 5 weeks for me to get her back. The dealer was booked and didn't touch her for a week, then Ford would not ship a replacement long block until the dealer verified "point of failure". After 10 days and nothing getting done I FedEx'd letters to Ford leadership, board of directors, regional and zone managers. That broke the log jam, the dealer was authorized to use a bore scope to verify the carnage. An engine was shipped the next day, I got her back 2 weeks later. This was at 5600 miles. I'm nearing 16,000 total, so 11K on the new engine with no issues. IF YOU ARE GETTING A NEW ENGINE, FRPP offers a strengthened oil pump drive. It's $300 or so, and 3-4 hours to install on an engine on the floor. Labor goes to $1500 if the engine is in the car. I didn't find out about till my new engine was installed. If you are under warranty you may be able to get Ford to cover part or all. Good luck.
How do you get the name of the regional and zone managers? I live in Long Island New York and I would love those numbers or the contact names if possible. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
2020 GT350R
43 Posts
Pretty common to have some oil drip into the belly pan at an oil change. So, may be old oil, not a leak.

is it still under warranty?

D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts