GT350.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet? I found this information online somwhere and it recommends to change the trans fluid after track days where the car is on track for 15 minute sessions or more. The funny thing is that I can’t find this information in any of the current GT350 supplements. Same for the diff fluid change after the first hour of track time.

I found the fluid which is strangely an automatic transmission fluid. I’ve never seen a manual with automatic trans fluid before! The good news is that the fluid is cheap! You need 3 quarts for a change. Has anyone done the change yet? Is there any how to or video how to out there?

Fluid: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-automatic-transmission-xt10qlvc

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found where that info is. It’s on page 13 of the Mustang User Guide. Not in the GT350 supplement.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet? I found this information online somwhere and it recommends to change the trans fluid after track days where the car is on track for 15 minute sessions or more. The funny thing is that I can’t find this information in any of the current GT350 supplements. Same for the diff fluid change after the first hour of track time.

I found the fluid which is strangely an automatic transmission fluid. I’ve never seen a manual with automatic trans fluid before! The good news is that the fluid is cheap! You need 3 quarts for a change. Has anyone done the change yet? Is there any how to or video how to out there?

Fluid: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-automatic-transmission-xt10qlvc

Thanks!
Yes, a lot of manual transmissions have switched to ATF. The first change was from 80-90w to 75w. It helped cold shifting of manual tramissions. Then with added gears, manual transmissions started sending lubrication through the main shaft for better lubing of gears, 75w was too thick so ATF with modifiers was adopted. Works good, and as a note, any race sesssions should be followed by a complete (engine, trans and diff) fluid change, all true racers do it. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation and information! I’m guessing there is a drain plug and a fill plug on the trans and that I’ll need a pump to get the new fluid in. Same as the diff.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Digging up a (not too) old thread...just changed my tranny fluid tonight. Book calls for 2.5 quarts and does not specify between cooler or non-cooler car since it’s a ‘17; makes sense. Anyways, book calls for 2.5 quarts. I’ve added three and it is still not to the fill hole. I removed 2 quarts, 20 ounces. So what’s the right answer...2.5 quarts, or fill to the hole? I’m guess fill to the hole but wanted to see what folks are doing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Digging up a (not too) old thread...just changed my tranny fluid tonight. Book calls for 2.5 quarts and does not specify between cooler or non-cooler car since it’s a ‘17; makes sense. Anyways, book calls for 2.5 quarts. I’ve added three and it is still not to the fill hole. I removed 2 quarts, 20 ounces. So what’s the right answer...2.5 quarts, or fill to the hole? I’m guess fill to the hole but wanted to see what folks are doing.
I would suspect that 2.5 quarts (as book calls for) is correct. Since the use of ATF in manual gearboxes, these transmissions use an oiling system through the main and counter shafts of the transmission so gears and syncros are lubribated better. I would suspect there is no reason to run the fluid to the level (up to fill hole) like we used to do in older cars, extra Oil riding up on the gear set robs HP. Do what the book calls for.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would suspect that 2.5 quarts (as book calls for) is correct. Since the use of ATF in manual gearboxes, these transmissions use an oiling system through the main and counter shafts of the transmission so gears and syncros are lubribated better. I would suspect there is no reason to run the fluid to the level (up to fill hole) like we used to do in older cars, extra Oil riding up on the gear set robs HP. Do what the book calls for.
I hear ya Jim, but since posting, I’m running across some inconsistencies. And that’s further complicated by the fact I’ve never ever owned something where the listed quantity didn’t closely correspond to the bottom of the fill hole.

I have since learned that even though the owners manual says 2.5, apparently the service manual says that’s for a non cooler car and 3.3 quarts for a cooler car. Why is that not in the owners book? Something for another time I guess. Someone also stated the service procedure states to drain and fill to the hole. Cooler car or not, 2.5 quarts is no where near the bottom of the fill hole. Why the disparity?

And unless it’s up to the bottom of the hole like anything else we’ve ever had, how would you ever check the level with any certainty?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just as an update for Jim and anyone else watching this thread. Turns out the owners manual is wrong/incomplete in regards to a track pack, '17 or later car with a cooler. Everyone, including several track junkies, are following the service manual that basically says drain and fill to the bottom of the fill hole. If you don't have a cooler, it looks like the published 2.5 quarts will correlate to that level. The service manual calls out the correct quantity for a cooler car at 3.3 quarts. 3.3 quarts checks with my results at just a tad over 3 full quarts filling mine to the hole. Glad I trusted my gut and went with that instead of measuring out and stopping at 2.5 quarts. I'm sure it most likely would not have damaged anything, but that would have been almost a full quart low. Not ideal.

So the take away from this when you change the tranny fluid...either way, the correct answer is drain and fill to the bottom of the fill hole.

·
Registered
60 Posts
THANKS! excellent info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts