Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 gt350. I do not race it. I live in a cold winter climate but almost no snow. I want all season but no one makes all season in the size tire it came with:295/35ZR19 and rear 305/35ZR19. What is the best substitute size?

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
76 Posts
Most go same size(295"s) on all 4 tires.
But having driven my car in temps 45-50, I find it a pita. The engine oil never really gets up to temp(180+). The same with the transmision temp only in the 75-90 range. I have to drive it for over 30 minutes before temps get up to what I consider acceptable. That usually means stiffer shifting, no really getting on the throttle, keeping rpm's down, etc. This car is so effecient with all it's oil coolers, it's hard to really get it up to proper, and safe temps in colder weather. And I find, even with the regular seats, not Recaros, it's a very snug fit in the seat wearing a heavier jacket. And I'm a small person.
This car was built with racing in mind. You don't see car racing taking place in winter weather for a reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most go same size(295"s) on all 4 tires.
But having driven my car in temps 45-50, I find it a pita. The engine oil never really gets up to temp(180+). The same with the transmision temp only in the 75-90 range. I have to drive it for over 30 minutes before temps get up to what I consider acceptable. That usually means stiffer shifting, no really getting on the throttle, keeping rpm's down, etc. This car is so effecient with all it's oil coolers, it's hard to really get it up to proper, and safe temps in colder weather. And I find, even with the regular seats, not Recaros, it's a very snug fit in the seat wearing a heavier jacket. And I'm a small person.
This car was built with racing in mind. You don't see car racing taking place in winter weather for a reason.
Thank you. We have many days in the winter in the high teens and low 20’s. The Manufacturers tire warranty warns of tire damage when temperatures are freezing. This is a major pain in the butt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I sorta have to go with the response that Postal gave you. When I drive the car to work during the spring and fall, and its 45-50 degrees, I drive 25 miles and the trans hasn't even crested 100F. The cooling on this car is just too dang efficent. I overall think this car is a terrible idea for cold weather. For the price of tires and wheels, you may as well go get yourself a beater car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sorta have to go with the response that Postal gave you. When I drive the car to work during the spring and fall, and its 45-50 degrees, I drive 25 miles and the trans hasn't even crested 100F. The cooling on this car is just too dang efficent. I overall think this car is a terrible idea for cold weather. For the price of tires and wheels, you may as well go get yourself a beater car.
Thank you. I have no issue with it heating up enough since my daily drive is in the city. Why in the hell would you make tires that manufacturers say will damage if you drive them under freezing and why in the hell are there no all season options. From what I see, most people with the 350 and 500 are not racing them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Again, these cars were designed to be racing cars, capable of being driving on the street. If you look at them in that framework, you'd never take it out in cold weather. These engines are designed to operate at high temperature(200F+), high oil pressure(100+psi), and high rpms(8200). Along with the transmision and differentials designed for high temperature use. Do you really want to operate these cars at less than their proper operating temperatures? Remember they have 50W oil, and that takes time and heat to flow properly. We all know most engine wear occurs when starting a regular car in the cold. You're not supposed to just start one, and then take off. Usually a minute or two to make sure oil is properly flowing. And then, outside temperature dependent, you should be taking it slowly until car is fully warmed up. So why do it with these cars, when in certain outside temps, they may not fully warm up?
So of course they have tires on them that are designed to give maximum performance, at warmer temperatures.
And this is my personal opinion. If I can't drive my car in the 6k-7k rpm range, without damaging it, I'd rather not drive it until I can. That's what I have my truck for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you. I have no issue with it heating up enough since my daily drive is in the city. Why in the hell would you make tires that manufacturers say will damage if you drive them under freezing and why in the hell are there no all season options. From what I see, most people with the 350 and 500 are not racing them.
All I'm going to say, is I'm afraid you misunderstood the car you bought.

Reactions: Postal Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in a colder climate and don't drive the car (2019 GT-350) on ice or salt conditions.

After the original 5k miles and my Pilot cup 2's wore out, I bought the Super Sports, same tire size, and running around on a highway or mostly hilly winding roads, I cannot tell the difference. I also never plan on tracking the car.

The Super Sports are supposed to be 30k mile tires.

Since I only put on about 5k to 6k miles a year, they should last for several years. I just have my car in a winter unheated garage with a Ctek battery tender and start it a few times a month and get it warmed up to full temperature, then move it around the driveway at slow speed to get all the fluids moving, then hopefully it ends up back in the garage with the wheels sitting in a difference spot on the tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in a colder climate and don't drive the car (2019 GT-350) on ice or salt conditions.

After the original 5k miles and my Pilot cup 2's wore out, I bought the Super Sports, same tire size, and running around on a highway or mostly hilly winding roads, I cannot tell the difference. I also never plan on tracking the car.

The Super Sports are supposed to be 30k mile tires.

Since I only put on about 5k to 6k miles a year, they should last for several years. I just have my car in a winter unheated garage with a Ctek battery tender and start it a few times a month and get it warmed up to full temperature, then move it around the driveway at slow speed to get all the fluids moving, then hopefully it ends up back in the garage with the wheels sitting in a difference spot on the tires.
Better off not starting it at all. Car can never get up to full operating temperature, especially the oil. Even driving around for 30 minutes in 45°weather, my oil temperature will barely make it up to 180°.
And for the tires, just inflate them to maximum pressure(45psi) before storage, and use something like flatstopper ramps. I've done this last year with my PS2's, and never had a problem. And my car is stored outside. And don't forget the fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2019 gt350. I do not race it. I live in a cold winter climate but almost no snow. I want all season but no one makes all season in the size tire it came with:295/35ZR19 and rear 305/35ZR19. What is the best substitute size?
I have a 2016 track pack with 295/35/19 on all four wheels. No noticeable difference in driving at all. Honestly not sure if speedometer is off? But if it’s a couple mph either way, no biggie. As far as cold weather driving… manual says no driving under 40f. Not sure if it’s tire related, or getting fluids warm enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts