Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just driving around and heard a ticking noise under the hood. In neutral it’s pretty mellow but once I start rollong off the clutch it starts to get louder and faster. Some say it’s “normal” due to piston rattle, but I just started hearing it. Never heard it before. Have about 7500 miles on it. Feels like I’m driving a beat up piece of junk now. It’s embarrassing to drive past someone in a nearly brand new sports car and it’s making noises I don’t think it should be. Anyone else have this problem? If you don’t know the noise you can go to google and just type in “gt30 ticking noise” video should be of a blue 17’ gt350.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had something like that...1800 miles after a Ford dealership oil change I noticed a ticking noise as you described. I called the dealership and scheduled an appointment, but something made me check the oil...nothing on the dipstick. I called the service center and they said just add some. I did but it took 6 quarts!!! No leaks, no warnings. Took it in noting the noise disappeared...floater valves, or top of the engine noises due to oil not reaching. They looked it over and changed the oil and said nothing wrong. They painted the dipstick to follow the level. The A/C went out so its back over there and 2 weeks later, they still are not sure why its using oil....The A/C is fixed though...Don't have a good feeling about this. Hope you figure yours out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had something like that...1800 miles after a Ford dealership oil change I noticed a ticking noise as you described. I called the dealership and scheduled an appointment, but something made me check the oil...nothing on the dipstick. I called the service center and they said just add some. I did but it took 6 quarts!!! No leaks, no warnings. Took it in noting the noise disappeared...floater valves, or top of the engine noises due to oil not reaching. They looked it over and changed the oil and said nothing wrong. They painted the dipstick to follow the level. The A/C went out so its back over there and 2 weeks later, they still are not sure why its using oil....The A/C is fixed though...Don't have a good feeling about this. Hope you figure yours out. Keep us posted.
6 qts low?? How often are you checking your oil? I would be willing to bet Ford did not replenish the full 10 qts when they changed your oil last.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check your oil level first
Get a long screw driver 12 to 13 inches long, while the engine is in idle place the metal blade on different metal parts of the engine and the handle to your ear.
Try the metal bolt heads that hold down the valve covers and listen for that ticking noises. My GT 350 sounds like whorling sound, now place the metal blade to the fuel rail and my car has a ticking sound.
Do this on both sides of your car, if you hear a ticking from the valve cover bolt there could be a problem in the valve train.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts