Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been wondering if anyone has had tickets and what for?

I decided to go ahead and ask. I got my first "infraction" today. I parked in a legal spot downtown in the city. Came back 20 mins. later, what the hell is this on my windshield?

Frickin' cop gave me infraction for no front license plate. OMG are you kidding me? When I headed to the freeway to get out of town, I drove really angry. I don't think I have any tread left and the other drivers were having a ball watching me. I figured if they're going to ticket me, I might as well drive as if the ticket was for a real reason.

Fine is $147 but I thought well I guess I'll suck it up. I refuse to break up the look of the front end with a license plate.

HEADS UP: If any of you are not aware, these cars don't come with front license plate brackets (at least my dealer didn't order one so mine didn't have it). I called in and told the officer that they are not in dealer stock and I have one on order. Got away with it...phew! No fine.

if you happen to face this issue, try the excuse. If you ever park in the downtown area of a city, place your front plate in your front window while you're parked. It might work.

I have cops all over where I live and they don't bother me a bit. Just in the city I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That Sucks, I could see a ticket for no seat belt, when i do a new car inspection on these vehicles or a higher end ford, majority of customer request not to get the front license plate installed. Thanks for the heads up and stay safe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Every state requires a front plate. Not sure why people get pissed when they get a ticket for it. I keep my front plate in my windshield and I’ve not had any issues. You can get a plate holder that does not put holes in the front bumper as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Heck that’s a good ending but thought the posting would be more like: got pulled over today having way too much fun at 150 and damn I have challenges lol. Cause those are some true stories out there in the real world.
And not every state requires a front license plate. Florida is just one of others and with today’s technology why the hell ain’t there a digital plate option standard on cars lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lots of states have only one - in Nebraska an extra $100 yearly keeps it off as long as its a sports car that doesn’t have any holes drilled for a bracket - I have been flanked several times but as soon as they run the plate they peel off - didn’t even know it was possible until the lady at the courthouse told me. My user name is my plate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a C6 Corvette for 12 years without a front plate and now my GT for 1 1/2 years. I received three or four written warnings in the C6 and so far three in the GT. All of the LEO’s are very nice about it; one trooper wrote the warning and asked “do I have any reasonable expectation that you are going to put that front plate on?”

This is Texas, so half the time the LEO wants to talk about what kind if concealed handgun you are carrying.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Been stopped plenty of times but only ticketed once for no seatbelt, probably because I mouthed off at the cop. Came close once at a roadblock on my bike. It was cold, there were cars backed up for quite a ways and I was wearing a coat, gloves, and full-face helmet. Took my time peeling off clothing layers and by the time I started to take my helmet off the cop got tired of waiting and just waved me through. In NM an additional test and endorsement is required for a bike so I probably would have been nailed for not having that endorsement. My husband, a former LEO and usually a speed-concious guy (unlike me), got a speeding ticket the other day and was incensed that he got one and I never do/never have. ;-)

Reactions: HotLap

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a "I should have been ticketed" story.

This past summer, I was going to MD from FL for my 30th HS reunion. Right after I took delivery of my GT350 I ordered a Valentine One radar detector since I would probably not be able to resist the urge to exceed the speed limit from time to time.
Driving up I-95 in SC, there is a section where the woods in the median are very close to the edge of the left lane. Traffic was light so I was cruising at about 110mph. I crested a small hill and noticed a slow moving semi in the right lane, so I moved into the left.
I began to pass him and as I reached the front of his rig, my radar detector went from silent to full song. I caught a fleeting glance of South Carolina's Finest, tucked into what looked like a duck blind for state troopers. He was only able to sample my speed with his radar gun for at most 1 sec before there were trees between him and I.
I hung my head in shame as I knew I was about to get my first ticket since 1989. I moved into the right lane and kept one eye on the rear view mirror as I waited for the flashing lights to crest the hill. I waited. And waited. It dawned on me that he was not in pursuit and that made exactly zero sense.
He had me dead to rights at 110mph.
The only explanation I can come up with is that my position relative to the semi truck as I passed the trooper is what saved me. The trooper saw the semi's speed in the radar gun's display, not mine, since the signal received from the reflection off the semi must have been several db greater than the return off my car.
I have come to accept that explanation, since I assume that state troopers have a momentary sense of glee whenever they get to pull over a Mustang.:cool:

·
Registered
757 Posts
This is a "I should have been ticketed" story.

This past summer, I was going to MD from FL for my 30th HS reunion. Right after I took delivery of my GT350 I ordered a Valentine One radar detector since I would probably not be able to resist the urge to exceed the speed limit from time to time.
Driving up I-95 in SC, there is a section where the woods in the median are very close to the edge of the left lane. Traffic was light so I was cruising at about 110mph. I crested a small hill and noticed a slow moving semi in the right lane, so I moved into the left.
I began to pass him and as I reached the front of his rig, my radar detector went from silent to full song. I caught a fleeting glance of South Carolina's Finest, tucked into what looked like a duck blind for state troopers. He was only able to sample my speed with his radar gun for at most 1 sec before there were trees between him and I.
I hung my head in shame as I knew I was about to get my first ticket since 1989. I moved into the right lane and kept one eye on the rear view mirror as I waited for the flashing lights to crest the hill. I waited. And waited. It dawned on me that he was not in pursuit and that made exactly zero sense.
He had me dead to rights at 110mph.
The only explanation I can come up with is that my position relative to the semi truck as I passed the trooper is what saved me. The trooper saw the semi's speed in the radar gun's display, not mine, since the signal received from the reflection off the semi must have been several db greater than the return off my car.
I have come to accept that explanation, since I assume that state troopers have a momentary sense of glee whenever they get to pull over a Mustang.:cool:
Brad, lucky you, I had a very similar experience a ways back however the CHP did get me just passing an 18 wheeler at 95mph. I too felt that "sinking" feeling knowing I was about to contribute to State of CA coffers and my insurance companies bottom line;) Had taken traffic school about 16 mos earlier (to clear a ticket) and here in CA they only let you do the traffic school every 18 mos... Only wrote me for 80mph though so he did give me a break!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Police radar is cheap junk, had it been a REAL radar (TPQ, TPS, PPS and other series varieties that are built to see drones, mortars, cruise missiles, shells, missiles and what ever) that could see two targets and get the speeds of both at the same time......yes you would have been toast.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Police radar is cheap junk, had it been a REAL radar (TPQ, TPS, PPS and other series varieties that are built to see drones, mortars, cruise missiles, shells, missiles and what ever) that could see two targets and get the speeds of both at the same time......yes you would have been toast.
Glad to hear that the cops have crappy radar units. :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heck that’s a good ending but thought the posting would be more like: got pulled over today having way too much fun at 150 and damn I have challenges lol. Cause those are some true stories out there in the real world.
And not every state requires a front license plate. Florida is just one of others and with today’s technology why the hell ain’t there a digital plate option standard on cars lol.
That was my point. I expected that if I got a ticket it would be for driving like a lead foot, racing or driving like a maniac...lol. Not for front plate while parked. I was outside of Funko HQ and I found out that apparently the cops like to pick on people there.

Reactions: Iceage

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been stopped plenty of times but only ticketed once for no seatbelt, probably because I mouthed off at the cop. Came close once at a roadblock on my bike. It was cold, there were cars backed up for quite a ways and I was wearing a coat, gloves, and full-face helmet. Took my time peeling off clothing layers and by the time I started to take my helmet off the cop got tired of waiting and just waved me through. In NM an additional test and endorsement is required for a bike so I probably would have been nailed for not having that endorsement. My husband, a former LEO and usually a speed-concious guy (unlike me), got a speeding ticket the other day and was incensed that he got one and I never do/never have. ;-)
Funny. Years ago when I had my Camaro (hated it but my dad was helping me pay for it and he's a Chevy guy) every time I got pulled over (which was a lot) as the cop was walking up to the window, I'd hand him my license and say "what did I do now". They did not enjoy my attitude but being female back then was very helpful ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts