GT350.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my fronts off for the first time. I was more than surprised by the weight! Not gonna lie, thought I was working on a truck tire.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just took my fronts off for the first time. I was more than surprised by the weight! Not gonna lie, thought I was working on a truck tire.
LOL, I was quite surprised too. I had the jack stands up on the car, of course, right? Anyways, it's important to point that out. I'm trying to get the wheel, by myself, onto the lug bolts after I finished the job and I said screwed it my legs can be crushed cause I could not without literally sitting on my ass and having the wheel on my thighs which of course meant my legs were underneath the car place the wheels onto it.

Got to admit, I was like "jesus take the wheel..." if anyone knows how to make this easier please let me know. I crush weights too and found this difficult. I grew more respect to the pit crew after doing this myself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Took mine off at the end of July to clean and apply sealant. Sprained my rotator cuff and spent 4 weeks in rehab. At least if got me back to the gym on a regular basis.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Since we ladies lack the upper body strength you guys have here's a trick my dad taught me when I got my first car. Sit down, arrange the lug holes in the wheel to sort of match the bolt positions then put your feet under the wheel and use your toes and feet to leverage the wheel onto the lug bolts. That takes most of the weight off your arms so you can correctly position the wheel onto the lug bolts. I've done this with every car and truck I've owned, including my GT350. Not so much fun when you're changing a flat at the side of the road but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since we ladies lack the upper body strength you guys have here's a trick my dad taught me when I got my first car. Sit down, arrange the lug holes in the wheel to sort of match the bolt positions then put your feet under the wheel and use your toes and feet to leverage the wheel onto the lug bolts. That takes most of the weight off your arms so you can correctly position the wheel onto the lug bolts. I've done this with every car and truck I've owned, including my GT350. Not so much fun when you're changing a flat at the side of the road but it gets the job done.
Technique goes a long way to turning a hard job into a manageable one. What is that old saying about "work smarter, not harder...."?

Reactions: ringmaster

·
Registered
502 Posts

Get used to it, I feel it’s the only way to really clean the wheels, they’re too deep. Once a month they Come off for the deep clean. You’ll be strong like ‘bull’ in no time!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get used to it, I feel it’s the only way to really clean the wheels, they’re too deep.
Naaaa...there's some great tools/brushes out there that'll get all the way through the barrel without scratching or marring anything. Shop Adam's or your other favorite boutique detailing shop and you'll find something. I don't have huge hands, so luckily I can just about get full to the back with a MF towel laying flat (But I don't have stock wheels either, so that helps tremendously, to be fair, and full disclosure, LOL).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I weighed them and all were 60 plus pounds each! ( boat anchors). Replaced them with p 51 wheels and knocked off 8 pounds per corner. Much improved acceleration down in lower rpm range starting at 2300. That sluggish feeling went away in the lower rpm range. More torque down low and happy with the way the car feels. Cost around 1400 dollars. I don’t track just my daily driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts