Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was out driving in a fairly rural area and stopped at a red light. Was just enjoying the nice afternoon with windows down and tunes on low. After the light changed to green I heard a commotion next to me and a Charger was racing me? So I did the prudent thing and mashed the pedal :) I had just shifted to 2nd and when I hit 3rd the both rear tires started to break loose and the car fishtailed a bit then the same thing happened when I shifted into 4th. Charger was toast and even though I let off and waved he wouldn't look over. Always wondered why folks want to race then be upset if they lose...as I learned way back in High School, no matter how fast your car is...there's always a faster one out there. Anyway, I was in normal drive mode with the Sport pipes engaged and was surprised the tires spun with TC engaged? Does TC allow some slippage before jumping in?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not surprised you left that Charger in the dust. Had a RT as rental in Hawaii and it was a boat. I think my fathers 1971 Buick 350 4bbl was faster!

·
Registered
178 Posts
HaHa! People always want to get froggy at the stop lights. Sometimes I jump too. I have noticed on Sport mode, it is more responsive. Were your tires cold? When I ran my car for my datalog, i didn't notice much slippage.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone gets excited about the "HEMI" engine, (Dodge has done a great marketing job), but in reality the N/A (non-supercharged) versions (IIRC) are between 365 - 390hp with similar torque numbers while the N/A Coyote 5.0 is now at 460hp. And then you throw in the extra weight of the Charger/Challenger engine/chassis...we all know weight kills acceleration, handling & braking performance...frankly I'd like to see our GT350 go on a 200lb diet ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hotlap, funny you say that because you have to be under 5 feet tall to sit in the back seat. I wonder how much weight that sheds?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone gets excited about the "HEMI" engine, (Dodge has done a great marketing job), but in reality the N/A (non-supercharged) versions (IIRC) are between 365 - 390hp with similar torque numbers while the N/A Coyote 5.0 is now at 460hp. And then you throw in the extra weight of the Charger/Challenger engine/chassis...we all know weight kills acceleration, handling & braking performance...frankly I'd like to see our GT350 go on a 200lb diet ;)
Yes, I was thinking 300 lbs, but my plans include potential "functional weight reduction" of closer to 200 lbs. Of course, if ya want to get crazy and much poorer, replace body panels with the Carbon Kore panels and knock off about 600 lbs!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was thinking 300 lbs, but my plans include potential "functional weight reduction" of closer to 200 lbs. Of course, if ya want to get crazy and much poorer, replace body panels with the Carbon Kore panels and knock off about 600 lbs!
I did see those CF body panels...IIRC, was in Jay Leno's garage? They looked awesome, imagine our GT350 weighing in at 3170 lbs...now that would be amazing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts