GT350.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else out there is concerned about a few years of your hands on the seemingly very thin Alcantara leather on the steering wheel. Just FYI I have done a lot of research on covers that are simple,thin,black, no pattern and don't fit too tight. I have found a very nice cover made by Bell (don't have the model #) and it has no pattern at all. Got it at AutoZone and it was about $8.00. I know it will not be as nice as the actual wheel but it sure will save it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Replace?

Replace it? That's a whole steering wheel. ($$$) I am also concerned over wear and tear from swetty hands, specially on the track. I plan on gloves, a cover bunches up on road course driving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a similar Alcantara wheel on my 2013 Boss 302 and the wheel held up well for many years. The Alcantara is a synthetic cloth that can be cleaned. Google cleaning instructions.
If wheel wearing out is a concern, buy a replacement wheel from Ford Performance now and put it away. Its been my experience that when a car goes out of production, service parts become scarce and expensive. Buy now and store. If you never use them, you can sell them later as NOS and make money as the market has dried up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
tom, must admit I have this concern as well. I can imagine it getting dirty from just daily driving where I would feel ridiculous wearing driving gloves (may as well get a mid70's Trans AM, ah but I digress :)). Seriously, my 911 is leather covered in beige and it definitely gets dirty from normal driving, however, I'm comfortable cleaning leather, no experience with Alcantara/suede...if anyone know of a good cleaner for this let me know.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is concerned about a few years of your hands on the seemingly very thin Alcantara leather on the steering wheel. Just FYI I have done a lot of research on covers that are simple,thin,black, no pattern and don't fit too tight. I have found a very nice cover made by Bell (don't have the model #) and it has no pattern at all. Got it at AutoZone and it was about $8.00. I know it will not be as nice as the actual wheel but it sure will save it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have seen several post about this. I try to mostly keep my hands on the bottom portion of the wheel wheel there is no leather.
Figure if and when it gets worn out I will just replace it

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have seen several post about this. I try to mostly keep my hands on the bottom portion of the wheel wheel there is no leather.
Figure if and when it gets worn out I will just replace it
I've got a GREAT interior guy here locally who can cover anything with anything...if mine gets bad down the road I'll likely have him recover at that point...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts