Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I'm probably not the only one that has seen this:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-mustang-gt500-will-have-720-hp-if-this-sp-1828535004

I don't know how legit this is, there have been no confirmations, but I am holding my breath until the official word is out. But for the sake of argument I must say I am very....disappointed. If and only if this spec sheet is right. The HP is nice, but I completely lost intrest in this line:

Vehicle curb weight: 4225 lbs

I would like to know, where the hell 600 lbs came from. And if this is the case, which I personally think it isn't, that seems like a lot of weight to add, then I'm saying good bye to my GT500 dreams and feeling better about getting my GT350 over this.

Other thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw those stats and was wondering about the same thing. Those numbers are similar to the Hellcats.
Makes me think this thing is purely for drag racing. Which is kind of what I expected, but was hoping they would take a more road course track approach. Oh well, might be a supercharger in my GT350's future.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Car sounds like the’re chasing Hellcat. I beat them at the track all day on the first turn. The extra wieght is courous, CF driveshaft doesn’t add pounds, heck of a heavy blower eh?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would not count on those weight figures being accurate. I’ve heard from a very reliable source the prototype’s road course track times are significantly better than GT350R’s already impressive times. No way to do that at 4200 lbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I know I'm probably not the only one that has seen this:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-mustang-gt500-will-have-720-hp-if-this-sp-1828535004

I don't know how legit this is, there have been no confirmations, but I am holding my breath until the official word is out. But for the sake of argument I must say I am very....disappointed. If and only if this spec sheet is right. The HP is nice, but I completely lost intrest in this line:

Vehicle curb weight: 4225 lbs

I would like to know, where the hell 600 lbs came from. And if this is the case, which I personally think it isn't, that seems like a lot of weight to add, then I'm saying good bye to my GT500 dreams and feeling better about getting my GT350 over this.

Other thoughts anyone?
The weight is disappointing to say the least. I read the original post that similar numbers had been leaked before. I wouldn't be surprised if these numbers were close. Could active aerodynamic bits really add that much weight, and is it worth it?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Car sounds like the’re chasing Hellcat. I beat them at the track all day on the first turn. The extra wieght is courous, CF driveshaft doesn’t add pounds, heck of a heavy blower eh?
My thoughts exactly Jim, what's a SC and all the plumbing weigh...60 - 80lbs, where's the added weight coming from? From what I've read (to date) the GT500 is supposed to be even more capable than the GT350, so still think it's going to be both tack & drag focused.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm in the boat of being skeptical along with a few others here in the thread. 600-700 lbs extra, that's almost a 1/3 weight increase. I don't see how the hell they could add that much weight, unless they took the curb weight with the driver and passenger inside! :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have the SC, inter cooler, plumbing, fluids, and probably bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, bigger half shafts, bigger drive shaft, beefier transmission, beefier differential . . . Still not enough to add that much weight - probably 200 lbs or so. Unless it is a CONVERTIBLE - then maybe?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts