Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on replacing the shift knob ? I have a rubber loop wrench but can’t seem to get the lock tight loose on the stock one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Takes a fair bit of torque to do it.
Look up MGW on YouTube for their video on replacing the shifter.
That shows the disassembly well

·
Registered
2 Posts
I unscrewed it with my hand, took about 1.5 mins, then put the new one on with some thread lock. That took about 1 min. There's not much too it really. Now that I have the new one on with thread lock, I can see that being a bigger challenge to remove..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shop galled my shift knob getting it off for MGW install. Said it had heavy duty locktite on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Somewhat unrelated, but why would you want to replace the shfiter assembly on this car? The GT350 Tremec shifts quite nicely and the throws are easy and accurate. Seems like asking for trouble to fix something that isn't broken. Especially when it comes to your warranty...

FWIW, the video shows the person spinning the shifter off by hand. Guess it depends on who was putting your car together and if they had gorilla like strenth :)

[video=youtube;alLaeI8ZTBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLaeI8ZTBY[/video]

Seems odd to me how American cars are so inconstistent with the way they are built... There "should" be a uniform torque setting for the shift knob that everyone in the factory is using. A setting that keeps it from spinning off easily, but not making it so hard that you have to damange it to remove.

Then again, after touring the corvette factory a few years back, I'm not suprised by anything anymore...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts