Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called a shop near me that does auto collision stuff but also a lot of aftermarket stuff( they always have 911’s, Ferrari’s, lambo’s, vette’s getting worked on there, very good shop from what I see and have a 5 star rating with over 200 reviews. They then told me I need to get the pipe and they can install it. They may be good at what theyg do, but I for some reason don’t think $700 just for them to weld it in is worth it. Plus the cost of buying the pipe. I’m now torn because I don’t want to take it to a sketch place and have them mess something up but I also don’t want to pay that much money when I know it should be $100-$200. I had a problem with my hellcat when I let someone do work on it for cheaper then the most expensive shop. Curious what other people paid or any suggestions on where to go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You don't say which pipe manufacturer that you bought from. $700 is not reasonable unless you like paying a mechanic $500 per hour labor rate. I have been running the Shifteck resonator delete pipe for about 1 year and there is absolutely no reason to have that version welded in. The Ford resonator on the car is clamped in the front from the factory start with, adding another set of clamps in the rear is not a big deal for me. The clamps provided with the Shifteck pipe work great and the system is a very easy installation and took about 30 minutes, 2/3 of that time was measuring and cutting. Because I installed it the way I wanted, I also have the option to install the resonator back on the car (can be done in about 15 minutes) if I so desire to go that route.
If you are set on having it welded in, a lot of people on different forums have gone to their local muffler shop with great results.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with everything Dave said.
I bought the shifteck resonator delete X-pipe which clamps on, took my car & part to my family auto repair shop that I use and we did the install together, really easy. I brought my own sawzall and did the cutting myself and we did the replacement & clamping together. Here is an existing thread, if you go to post #10 you will see my install pics
https://www.gt350.org/forum/19-mustang-gt350-performance/3105-resonator-delete.html

But if you REALLY want it welded then like Dave said go to a muffler shop, they do this all day long, you'll be in-n-out in 1 1/2hrs max and probably about $100 labor.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Dave and racer172, spot on! Our group have been discussing the resonator delete lately and I had forgotten the clamp option. I'll likely take this option just (in case) I want to go back, down the road...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dave and racer172, spot on! Our group have been discussing the resonator delete lately and I had forgotten the clamp option. I'll likely take this option just (in case) I want to go back, down the road...
Back when I lived in TX a lot of folks would keep the clamp ons so that they could swap once a year to pass inspection! It's either that or get in close with a local shop to pencil whip it. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
WHAT?? Good grief. I took mine to my local performance exhaust shop. Since the resonators come aft of the factory x-pipe, no need to spend all that money on one. They cut mine out, welded in straight pipe, and 20 minutes and $82 later I was cruising out of there. Of course, the clamp idea ain't too bad either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What is the actual benefit of doing a resonator delete? sorry if this is a noob question.
Sound. It will be a little louder & throatier once you take the resonators out. And then the exhaust system will be & sound exactly like the GT350R comes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sound. It will be a little louder & throatier once you take the resonators out. And then the exhaust system will be & sound exactly like the GT350R comes.
I'm a man of practicality (coming from a gt350 owner, real rich right?) in that I like things that don't just look/sound cool but also serve a purpose in terms of performance. So I was also interested in the benefits of doing a delete. So, not to knock people doing this just for sound, which is still awesome by the way, but are there any other benefits, such a increased airflow or something to that effect. If it's purely sound, I would probably pass. But it I get a slight bump in power/torque as well, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been seeing YouTube videos with pre/post dyno results after doing a cool air intake swap (not significantly better than stock by the way), res delete, and exhaust swaps including mufflers and exhaust
Manifolds with very little change/increase in power. ~30 whp, not worth the ~$2k (guesstimate) for that little of gain. Keep it stock guys, save your money for cruising gas and detailing products. If your a regular track goer, then go for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
we did the clamp on from Ford Performance - add in an annoying drone while 70mph (almost like the old Flowmasters on a FoxBody).

To me, its the same decibel but it could be the extra PSI from the Whipple that I have become accustomed to - it stayed a day and then it was off with a $100 loss on eBay - not worth the headache of a cruise night where your lady can't hear anything you say -

We have a guy that is in the same town with a Res Delete, and he sounds fast but in reality... is Loud Fast?

·
Registered
109 Posts
we did the clamp on from Ford Performance - add in an annoying drone while 70mph (almost like the old Flowmasters on a FoxBody).

To me, its the same decibel but it could be the extra PSI from the Whipple that I have become accustomed to - it stayed a day and then it was off with a $100 loss on eBay - not worth the headache of a cruise night where your lady can't hear anything you say -

We have a guy that is in the same town with a Res Delete, and he sounds fast but in reality... is Loud Fast?
Is loud fast...love that question. I had a cop behind me and I ripped it. Just because it's loud when I took off I was still doing 35 mph, the speed limit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So it adds drone at highway cruising speeds? :(

I had my resonators cut out and straight pipe welded in their place. Since they are aft of the factory x-pipe, there was no need to buy one. I have no drone whatsoever, and it was one of the questions I had before doing it. To the extent I was able to get answers, 100% of the feedback concerning droning was that there is none. My experience has borne that out as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don’t think there’s any scenario where you’ll get any drone from this car. Stepped gradually from ShifTeck x-pipe to full Borla ATAK; neither had a single ounce of drone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts