Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for a little input from the track fans here. I regularly track my GT350 at Sebring International, roughly once every month or two. Since the car is new, and I'm not in a huge hurry, I have decided to at least start researching and looking into what I should be buying to tow this monster to the track. Currently, I drive all the way and back in my GT350.

So there is some Ford biased here, but I have always been a Ford Ranger fan, had one before my first mustang. It was a nice truck but definitively not a good towing machine, especially for a 3400 lb beast like the GT350. But, I have been seeing more and more specs coming out like this latest article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-ford-ranger-makes-270-hp-310-lb-ft-torque/

Does anyone else have experience in towing. 7500 lbs sounds nice, and it is almost double the weight of the GT350. I have heard of stories of people towing to the track with vehicles like Explorer Sport Tracs and really messing up the the transmission because it wasn't made for towing. And while it's not a F150, at a starting price of 25k, it almost seems hard to pass up, especially if it can handle the towing.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lots of experience towing my old race car back and forth across the country. Ideal is an enclosed trailer that has an electrical generator, interior and exterior lights, winch, compressed air, a tire rack that can hold two complete sets of spare race tires,wheels, tool cabinets, canopy awning, etc. Loaded, your trailer will weigh around 10,000 pounds. Don't go flimsy on the trailer! Get yourself a 1-ton pick up truck such as an F350. You can get away with a 3/4 ton (F250) but don't even consider a 1/4 ton F150. You will not regret it by immediately going to the F350.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The ranger while nice and has the capacity to tow that much, would not by my ideal either. Its not so much the towing end, as more the stopping end. I dont feel the brakes would meet my needs, especially in an emergency stop situation. I tow horses alot with my F-350 and that is the best. My wife has an F-150 that we also tow with Two horse trailer loaded is about 6000 lbs and works well. You have to remember when towing that the other drivers are all idiots and will cut you off. So you have to drive very defensively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts