Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it feel much different between the two, i understand it's literally the same car with just a few tweeks, but does it feel different? I recently got a 16 gt350 and seeing the R kinda makes me regret not maybe waiting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does it feel much different between the two, i understand it's literally the same car with just a few tweeks, but does it feel different? I recently got a 16 gt350 and seeing the R kinda makes me regret not maybe waiting.
I owned a 2017 GT350R for over a year that I tracked regularly and I drove a regular GT350 on the track at the Utah Motorsport Park during the Ford Performance Racing School. The difference is very noticeable on the track especially in terms of rigidity and weight transfers, and not just because of the better tires. However if only take yours to the track occasionally I doubt you will feel major differences between the two.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The GT350 run's fine. The R's wing is literally 10K that's 50% of the markup already. The rest could be addressed in a slight suspension tune, similar wheels, and tires. There is no HP bump. It's just handling from there on. The GT350 though is a powerful vicious handling machine without those additional bumps. I agree with Shelby_21 unless you seriously track you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand track is a difference that is noticeable. I haven't been home just yet to drive mine and its a regular gt350. But i'm ahlong about that special feel getting into it. Like the difference between getting in a honda civic hatch back in great shape vs getting into a classic 69 shelby in mint condition type difference. Like i said, i know literally the difference appearance wise is minimum, and the motor is the same etc etc, guess it's just a collector thing but it bugs me a little not having the R model already, kinda like my 04 Lightning in black i still kinda want a lightning blue but due to Ford over killing that color in my area i'm actually ok with black. It's just that suttle difference you know? That's what i'm referring to, does it feel any more special being in an R model?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The story of how I ended up with the GT350 was the following: I was in the market for a Ford Focus RS. The mustangs lost my interest 15 years ago. For some odd reason the RS caught my attention but then I saw the motor trend video on the camaro vs gt350 and fell in love with how it sounded. Sure the Camaro was quick 0-60 and etc but not by a stretch. Personally, the GT350 looks meaner and really stood out. I look at the rear and I'm like... do I own Ferrari or something? It looks amazing along with the rest of the body.

Although I really wanted the white and blue stripes I ended up with the Magnetic color due to pricing and availability. Mostly the availability cause it just so happen to arrive at the lot after I almost bought a white one 800 miles away. Had not driven one tho and was sold on the drive immediately. Offered a price and that's all she wrote.

Enjoy the GT350 it's really an exclusive car. I don't have the "R" but if you got your windows down and you're letting her roar someone will definitely comment. I've had so many viewers gawk at the car and express their love for the car during stop and go traffic. Appreciate what you bought and forget about anything else or it will get to you. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Boy that got off topic,

An R has the same engine Perfomance as Regular. Extra is for Carbon Fiber Wheels (fraction of the wieght of Reg Alloys), Areo Package (front and rear wings) and slight suspension tuning. Wheels are the biggest thing and are measurable in reduced 1/4 mile times (documented).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boy that got off topic,

An R has the same engine Perfomance as Regular. Extra is for Carbon Fiber Wheels (fraction of the wieght of Reg Alloys), Areo Package (front and rear wings) and slight suspension tuning. Wheels are the biggest thing and are measurable in reduced 1/4 mile times (documented).
I personally never cared about straight line stats for the R, since those are just the product of reduced curb weight like you mentioned. In reality, all those extra bits are designed to work together to increase rigidity and to facilitate/smooth high speed weight transfers and they do end up changing the driving dynamics of the car by a noticeable amount when driven at or near its limits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand track is a difference that is noticeable. I haven't been home just yet to drive mine and its a regular gt350. But i'm ahlong about that special feel getting into it. Like the difference between getting in a honda civic hatch back in great shape vs getting into a classic 69 shelby in mint condition type difference. Like i said, i know literally the difference appearance wise is minimum, and the motor is the same etc etc, guess it's just a collector thing but it bugs me a little not having the R model already, kinda like my 04 Lightning in black i still kinda want a lightning blue but due to Ford over killing that color in my area i'm actually ok with black. It's just that suttle difference you know? That's what i'm referring to, does it feel any more special being in an R model?
Well, I does feel special mostly because you are aware that you are driving a rare car. I live in Los Angeles - big city with big money - and so far I have one seen one other R in the "wild". It is a car that attract a lot of attention and turns a lot of heads but I think that I was driving a "regular" GT350 the effect would have been the same, especially on people that are not experts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's ideally the same car with minor differences cosmetics wise and aero wise, i'm out of florida near 2 large military bases sp obviously crawling with cops to match. It's not worried about being faster between the two, or the car value, etc etc. I'm refering to sitting in them, say you have a 17 gt350 fully loaded and 17 gt350r fully loaded with the back seat and tech everything. What i'm asking is, is there a special feel difference of "oh this is special" between the two. I guess it's just a slight difference i appreciate of the R over the regular that collector feel i guess but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know it's ideally the same car with minor differences cosmetics wise and aero wise, i'm out of florida near 2 large military bases sp obviously crawling with cops to match. It's not worried about being faster between the two, or the car value, etc etc. I'm refering to sitting in them, say you have a 17 gt350 fully loaded and 17 gt350r fully loaded with the back seat and tech everything. What i'm asking is, is there a special feel difference of "oh this is special" between the two. I guess it's just a slight difference i appreciate of the R over the regular that collector feel i guess but maybe that's just me.
LOL, so it's just the snootiness factor you're talking about? The haha I have an R and you only have one of those common GT350s? Too funny, but I'm sure there are folks who bought the R just for that reason.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Feel? No. Looks? Some subtle differences, yes. From your cockpit view, the R on the seat (otherwise the exact same seat), the red R on the screen when the nav starts up, red stitching in the alcantara (vice the non R grey). Add in whatever mental/emotional impact it will have just knowing you're in an R. If given the ability, I'd pick the R every day. Why wouldn't you? Only reason I didn't get an R was during my shopping timeframe, There was nare an R to be had at MSRP in the color(s) I would want. An R at MSRP would have been the limit I could chew on financially. But with everything at a minimum $10K ADM during my shopping timeframe, it was just out of reach. Otherwise.....

If you're having this debate dude, get the R if it's within your reach. We can have a separate dispute over a beer about base 350 guys lying to themselves and saying they do or don't wish they had bought an R. But I will tell you none of the R guys are at their table bickering about how they wish they would have bought a base model!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish it was that easy to just get an R in my area at msrp, military bases near by cause a 20k mark up minimum at one nearby. I just recently bought a 16 tech pack used already well broken in, most likely was someone's daily. It's not the haha snooty fact, it's just that appriciation for a slightly finer thing in life. I'm only 27 and i just bought mine. Haven't been home to drive it just yet though, i'm an over the road trucker so i'm only home for about a week every 2 months. Plan to pay this one off possibly the endof next year or by 2020, and i'm not really interested in the gt500 i could easily slap a sc on mine and go from there, not to mention first gen bugs like the gt350s

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was able to drive both the R and base 350 on the track back to back. I have been to the Mid America ford meet many times and driven the track but I am no expert. Was unable to really tell any big difference between the to. I am sure a experienced driver would see it. From my perspective both car are great and don't think I will every be able to drive it on the edge

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an '18 GT350 which I bought for $500 under invoice. The R was still carrying a $12 K markup so an extra $20 k

What you get are carbon fiber wheels, Cup 2 tires, aero and slight suspension tweaks.

I don't want the wheels ($3-4k per to replace if you rub a curb), can buy the tires, and don't need the aero. So an extra $20k made no sense to me.

Honestly I bet more than 50% of the difference on track is in the tires which you can buy. Every car is faster with Cup 2 tires. And faster still with Trofeos.

So the R is awesome, but for me could not justify a 1/3 mark up in price. Maybe if I were going to stow it away in the garage and try to maintain maximum resale. But I am not. I am going to drive and track the crap out of this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess i'll just wait it out a bit. Got one nearme they are willing to sell at sticker but bank told me no go, so I'll just pay mine off and start modding it with a s/c and the little fine parts to handle it, i'll let it drive me insane inthe mean time, besides i still got my lightning also to goof with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, I does feel special mostly because you are aware that you are driving a rare car. I live in Los Angeles - big city with big money - and so far I have one seen one other R in the "wild". It is a car that attract a lot of attention and turns a lot of heads but I think that I was driving a "regular" GT350 the effect would have been the same, especially on people that are not experts
I've seen a few R in the LA area and when you go to car shows, or just C&C, you can bet there are quite a few of them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Feel? No. Looks? Some subtle differences, yes. From your cockpit view, the R on the seat (otherwise the exact same seat), the red R on the screen when the nav starts up, red stitching in the alcantara (vice the non R grey). Add in whatever mental/emotional impact it will have just knowing you're in an R. If given the ability, I'd pick the R every day. Why wouldn't you? Only reason I didn't get an R was during my shopping timeframe, There was nare an R to be had at MSRP in the color(s) I would want. An R at MSRP would have been the limit I could chew on financially. But with everything at a minimum $10K ADM during my shopping timeframe, it was just out of reach. Otherwise.....

If you're having this debate dude, get the R if it's within your reach. We can have a separate dispute over a beer about base 350 guys lying to themselves and saying they do or don't wish they had bought an R. But I will tell you none of the R guys are at their table bickering about how they wish they would have bought a base model!
Now, that is what i call honesty. I am right there with you, who wouldn't want to get the R if they had the ability to do so. And yes, we'll probably get back lash oh, the R is uncomfortable, it's this, it's that...etc... the reality is, most of us didn't want to pay that outrageous ADM, or we just couldn't justify to stretch our budget knowing that you are giving the money to the greedy dealerships. But if money is not a factor, then I don't see why not getting the R and congrats to all those who own them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My take....do I really want the R for the track tweaks. Yes, I track regularly. But do I want to pay upwards of 15k more for it...no. Why? Because, the only difference between the two is the aero and the wheels, deletes and so on, but for the most part that is what I understand for the difference.

So, I bought the base now, with a road-map to add all the R functionality later. The carbon fiber wheels are only going to get cheaper, and can easily be changed, same for the aero kits. Therefore, at the expense of a little patience, I can make my regular GT350 an R model. Since all the options that differentiate the two are possible after purchase, that's the route I took.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have an '18 GT350 which I bought for $500 under invoice.
$500 under invoice or $500 under MSRP? I honestly mean you no disrespect, but I'm calling BS on $500 under invoice, especially for an '18. That's insane. If you did however, congrats to ya!

·
Registered
25 Posts
$500 under invoice or $500 under MSRP? I honestly mean you no disrespect, but I'm calling BS on $500 under invoice, especially for an '18. That's insane. If you did however, congrats to ya!
Sorry you are right - $500 under MSRP.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts