Mustang GT350 Forums banner

Recommended oil to top off oil?

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ringmaster 
I'd drain the oil and replace it, and the filter, with the Ford 5w-50, which I've been buying from Amazon or Amsoil 5w-50 (available from a distributor or directly from Amsoil). Then you don't have to worry about mixing two different oils (maybe) and you know the right filter and oil are in the car. Make sure you torque the new filter to factory specs.

This X 1,000

And speaking for me personally, I don’t have a clue about what you’re trying to say about the dots on the dipstick or the minimum of five quarts. If the oil isn’t showing on the stick, there’s no telling how low it is. At least 2-3 quarts. If it’s anywhere on the stick, you most certainly don’t need to add five quarts. There is no published “minimum” amount of oil for this thing...it takes 10 quarts. Period.
I was also clueless about the dots mention and the 5 quarts minimum. Thanks for clarifying the parts of the post I ignored. They definitely needed clarification.

Keep it simple. Do what Ringmaster says, drain and replace including the filter. I like the the Ford 5-50 oil too. Then you will know what you have. No telling what the prior owner did.
Or worse, what the selling dealer did....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.