Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

As some of you already know there is an issue with the way the voodoo consumes oil. I"m not exactly sure if that's my case but I do believe that the used 2016 mustang I bought was filled up with just 5 qts which is the minimum allowed and the oem filter from ford at the non ford dealership I bought the car from If this is true, my dip stick reading only reports 1 line (dot) of oil as opposed to 2 lines ( dots ).

I'll monitor this but in the meantime would like to fill it up with possibly another 5 qts. What oil are you guys using?

I believe they used the brand below:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...2P94oPCtw4Ji0_Ib6WYaAroJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can try to pick that up and fill it up qt at a time. Would you guys recommend that brand / type of oil or another kind? Another oil option I found but may not be able to pick up immediately is below:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/moto...pc&gclid=CLms_bazw9wCFVKegQodX3gMsQ&gclsrc=ds

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, didn’t think about buying it from ford. Question, I know the place I bought the car from used 5W-50 oil but I don’t know from where. Let’s pretend it’s Castrol. Do you think there is any harm in adding the additional oil from Ford Motorcraft as in mixing the two types of oil.

Thanks,
NoXiDe

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd drain the oil and replace it, and the filter, with the Ford 5w-50, which I've been buying from Amazon or Amsoil 5w-50 (available from a distributor or directly from Amsoil). Then you don't have to worry about mixing two different oils (maybe) and you know the right filter and oil are in the car. Make sure you torque the new filter to factory specs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd drain the oil and replace it, and the filter, with the Ford 5w-50, which I've been buying from Amazon or Amsoil 5w-50 (available from a distributor or directly from Amsoil). Then you don't have to worry about mixing two different oils (maybe) and you know the right filter and oil are in the car. Make sure you torque the new filter to factory specs.
This X 1,000

And speaking for me personally, I don’t have a clue about what you’re trying to say about the dots on the dipstick or the minimum of five quarts. If the oil isn’t showing on the stick, there’s no telling how low it is. At least 2-3 quarts. If it’s anywhere on the stick, you most certainly don’t need to add five quarts. There is no published “minimum” amount of oil for this thing...it takes 10 quarts. Period.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This X 1,000

And speaking for me personally, I don’t have a clue about what you’re trying to say about the dots on the dipstick or the minimum of five quarts. If the oil isn’t showing on the stick, there’s no telling how low it is. At least 2-3 quarts. If it’s anywhere on the stick, you most certainly don’t need to add five quarts. There is no published “minimum” amount of oil for this thing...it takes 10 quarts. Period.
I was also clueless about the dots mention and the 5 quarts minimum. Thanks for clarifying the parts of the post I ignored. They definitely needed clarification.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do not overfill. The dipstick only indicates the top 1 1/2 quarts of oil. Overfull is bad, a quart down is no big. Only use the Ford 5w-50, only oil that meets spec and it’s better to use the Factory stuff.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Only use the Ford 5w-50, only oil that meets spec and it’s better to use the Factory stuff.
Just for clarification, are you stating here that Ford MotorCraft oil is the only oil that meets the Ford specs? If so, that would be grossly incorrect. I also disagree that it's better to use the factory stuff, but I'll refrain from throwing logs on an oil debate, LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Keep it simple. Do what Ringmaster says, drain and replace including the filter. I like the the Ford 5-50 oil too. Then you will know what you have. No telling what the prior owner did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts