Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RADAR DETECTORS: This from a 4 wheeled road warrior, well over 700K miles including 18 years covering CO/WY/UT/NM @ an average of 32K per year out of my Denver base. I know where of I speak.
I wouldn't drive a mile without my latest generation Valentine 1. I settled on the V1 soon after they came out. The reviews were always superb and they put other detectors to shame. Every time they upgrade I send my old unit back and upgrade. I have NEVER regretted it. I won't get into all the varying radar types. The old X band still exists. The Ka and Kb are the most popular here. Trigger on feature tilts the table a bit towards Smoky Bear. That said, here are the basics:
1. PAY ATTENTION-when the cars way in front of you hit the brakes do the same. Learn the locations where the radar traps are set up. Flat as a board I-70 through KS draws the officers into the medians, shoot you from the inside lane from the other side or on ramps. Always watch for a full size car or SUV rolling more slowly in the oncoming inside lane,, it could be State Patrol looking for oncoming speeders.. Colorado seems to prefer on ramps, though just rolling along and shooting you on the other side is very common. 10 years ago airplanes timing you through a mile long trap had very bold white lines painted on the shoulder. Stopwatches in Cessnas don’t set off detectors. You quickly learned to scan the sky a few miles ahead looking for a Cessna running parallel to the highway. I'd hammer down right to the first painted marker, set the cruise, pass the second white line-pass the several trooper vehicles waiting to be sent after a speeder, then resume my hammer down way. These seem to have disappeared, I have not seen this set up in years, probably due to cost.
2. Trigger on and Laser are difficult but not impossible. If you're in the middle of New Mexico, rolling along at 90, and you get a beep or two- hit the brakes. It could be just a random automatic door opener at Piggly Wiggly or a radar reading a car in front of you. Picking up that 'scatter' is what you get with a $400 high quality radar detector. As to laser, there are a couple things that help. The laser must be reflected and the sending unit must be stationary. The target the police use is your front license plate. Flat surfaces give the quickest bounce back reading to the laser unit. Again, a good detector will give you that emergency type beep if it picks up scatter from activation in front of you. Phantom Tag Protector | We're The Affordable Price Tag Protector offers several models of license plate covers that distort your plate so stationary photo radar and red light cameras can't read your plate as well as units that scatter laser giving you at least a fraction of a second to stab the brakes. I have these on all my plates. They may or may not be legal in your area, but I'll take a no points-illegal license plate cover over a 20 over the limit 6-8 point ticket cruising through Wyoming any day. As to laser, there is also a spray on clear reflective spray on. Called Photo Blocker, specially for red light cameras and photo radar, I clean the plate with rubbing alcohol, spray on a coat, let it dry completely, then do 2 more coats allowing full drying between coats. Don’t rush it, and don't over coat the plate, it should have an even shiny layer over the entire plate. Over applying will have the plate discolor inviting police interaction. Reviews are questionable but I've used it sucessfully for 20+ years. We keep our plates and move them to our next vehicle so all these protective measures cover you for years.
3. Learn how to deal with the police in a professional and courteous manner when you do come face to face. Roll down ALL windows so the officer can see into the vehicle. Keep your hands on the steering wheel, no quick moves, ‘yes sir’-‘no sir’ go a LONG way. Ask the officer before you reach into your pocket for your billfold or glove box for the registration. Have your license, insurance and registration documents always available. If you're popped at 20 over, and can't produce your documents or act disrespectfully you will get the max penalty. At 20 over you usually must appear in court, meaning a trip back to the jurisdiction to face a judge or $750-$1,000 to have an attorney represent you.
4. Keep your vehicle in shape. Keep all lights working, reasonably clean and tires with that 3/32 tread minimum. If you get popped at 20 over you will get a quick walk around by the officer. Not finding additional items of fault and being treated respectfully will go a long way in helping you try to talk down a 20+ to a 10+, and a 10+ down to defective vehicle (the favorite alternative to a speeding ticket).
Well, I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles with only a couple of interactions with police. Stay safe, good luck and keep your eyes open!

·
Registered
2020 GT350 Race Red/White Stripes- Handling and tech packages, Recaros, Carbon Fiber IP
54 Posts
Never owned a radar detector.

·
Registered
2017 Shelby GT350
3 Posts
Sensible post. I have a radar detector in the 350. It's mostly a nuisance around town but during many a road trip has proven to be invaluable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RADAR DETECTORS: This from a 4 wheeled road warrior, well over 700K miles including 18 years covering CO/WY/UT/NM @ an average of 32K per year out of my Denver base. I know where of I speak.
I wouldn't drive a mile without my latest generation Valentine 1. I settled on the V1 soon after they came out. The reviews were always superb and they put other detectors to shame. Every time they upgrade I send my old unit back and upgrade. I have NEVER regretted it. I won't get into all the varying radar types. The old X band still exists. The Ka and Kb are the most popular here. Trigger on feature tilts the table a bit towards Smoky Bear. That said, here are the basics:
1. PAY ATTENTION-when the cars way in front of you hit the brakes do the same. Learn the locations where the radar traps are set up. Flat as a board I-70 through KS draws the officers into the medians, shoot you from the inside lane from the other side or on ramps. Always watch for a full size car or SUV rolling more slowly in the oncoming inside lane,, it could be State Patrol looking for oncoming speeders.. Colorado seems to prefer on ramps, though just rolling along and shooting you on the other side is very common. 10 years ago airplanes timing you through a mile long trap had very bold white lines painted on the shoulder. Stopwatches in Cessnas don’t set off detectors. You quickly learned to scan the sky a few miles ahead looking for a Cessna running parallel to the highway. I'd hammer down right to the first painted marker, set the cruise, pass the second white line-pass the several trooper vehicles waiting to be sent after a speeder, then resume my hammer down way. These seem to have disappeared, I have not seen this set up in years, probably due to cost.
2. Trigger on and Laser are difficult but not impossible. If you're in the middle of New Mexico, rolling along at 90, and you get a beep or two- hit the brakes. It could be just a random automatic door opener at Piggly Wiggly or a radar reading a car in front of you. Picking up that 'scatter' is what you get with a $400 high quality radar detector. As to laser, there are a couple things that help. The laser must be reflected and the sending unit must be stationary. The target the police use is your front license plate. Flat surfaces give the quickest bounce back reading to the laser unit. Again, a good detector will give you that emergency type beep if it picks up scatter from activation in front of you. Phantom Tag Protector | We're The Affordable Price Tag Protector offers several models of license plate covers that distort your plate so stationary photo radar and red light cameras can't read your plate as well as units that scatter laser giving you at least a fraction of a second to stab the brakes. I have these on all my plates. They may or may not be legal in your area, but I'll take a no points-illegal license plate cover over a 20 over the limit 6-8 point ticket cruising through Wyoming any day. As to laser, there is also a spray on clear reflective spray on. Called Photo Blocker, specially for red light cameras and photo radar, I clean the plate with rubbing alcohol, spray on a coat, let it dry completely, then do 2 more coats allowing full drying between coats. Don’t rush it, and don't over coat the plate, it should have an even shiny layer over the entire plate. Over applying will have the plate discolor inviting police interaction. Reviews are questionable but I've used it sucessfully for 20+ years. We keep our plates and move them to our next vehicle so all these protective measures cover you for years.
3. Learn how to deal with the police in a professional and courteous manner when you do come face to face. Roll down ALL windows so the officer can see into the vehicle. Keep your hands on the steering wheel, no quick moves, ‘yes sir’-‘no sir’ go a LONG way. Ask the officer before you reach into your pocket for your billfold or glove box for the registration. Have your license, insurance and registration documents always available. If you're popped at 20 over, and can't produce your documents or act disrespectfully you will get the max penalty. At 20 over you usually must appear in court, meaning a trip back to the jurisdiction to face a judge or $750-$1,000 to have an attorney represent you.
4. Keep your vehicle in shape. Keep all lights working, reasonably clean and tires with that 3/32 tread minimum. If you get popped at 20 over you will get a quick walk around by the officer. Not finding additional items of fault and being treated respectfully will go a long way in helping you try to talk down a 20+ to a 10+, and a 10+ down to defective vehicle (the favorite alternative to a speeding ticket).
Well, I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles with only a couple of interactions with police. Stay safe, good luck and keep your eyes open!
I have a K40. Multi-band notification. More adjustable than I can use. I have it direct wired to my mirror electronics in both my GT350 and my F150 and easily move the unit between the vehicles depending on what I'm driving. Wife has one as well for her X5M and Z4M and moves it between her cars. Saved us more than once! Couple of local speed traps and a quick lift saves from a pull over. Although I rarely exceed 10 mph over, its nice to have the peace of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts