Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 GT350 and this past May I began hearing a strange noise when I would start it. It sounds like something is stuck in fan. At first I thought maybe it slipped out of gear but when it kept happening I took it back to the Ford dealership 06-27-18 with 9528 miles on it AND I’ve had it less than a year. Well they kept it for 5 days, and when I would call to check the progress I would hear, “ we don’t know what’s wrong, the computer says everything is fine and we can’t get it to do what you said it was doing.” Did I mention I made a video of the sound it makes. So, they still couldn’t/didn’t know what was causing the noise, but asked when was my last oil change because it was low on oil. All of my oil changes are done there, and if the oil is low why didn’t the low oil indicator lamp come on. He said it was low BUT not low enough to activate the low oil indicator lamp🤔. He claims they changed the oil and that should take care of the problem. Guess what, it didn’t!! It’s still doing the same thing and now he wants me to come back after 1,000 miles to check the oil consumption rate. This is the SECOND Shelby I’ve bought from them and for the amount of money I’m paying for this car all these problems are unacceptable

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don’t think it has a low oil level indicator. In other threads people did not check their levels and ran it dry of oil, and destroyed their motor. You have to manually check the oil levels on this car every other fill up. Not checking it between oil changes is no too brilliant.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the oil lamp comes on in this cars, it means the pickup is sucking air. The owner's manual supplement says to check the oil every time you get gas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In other words, its too late! My Euro cars, while a bit over-informative at times, did let you know when the oil was getting low....before something bad happens. in my 911's, it would say "add oil"....I think when it was 2 liters or so low. In this day and age, Ford should have an app that talks to you car via Bluetooth and lets you see things like that. Wonder if someone can develop a Bluetooth enabled dipstick with a sensor, that would alert you when it was low.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree but actual race cars monitor all kinds of things like tire temp, brake fluid temp, and other telemetry data. A light to alert a drive the oil is two liters low to me, is not excessive. Given all of the things we can see like cylinder head temp, diff temp, AF ratio.....I don’t think adding in a oil level sensor is a silly thing

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, it would take some engineering but it can be done. Industrial applications have all kinds of products to wireless monitor tank fill levels for hot environments and things lots more nasty than motor oil.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The car has an Oil Level indicator, it’s called the Dip Stick. No fancy electronics, but a 10 quart capacity which is really hard to run out unless you have a massive leak. The Dipstick will only give you vision of the top 1 1/2 quarts of that precious oil. Think it’s something other than a little low on oil...

·
Registered
229 Posts
The car has an Oil Level indicator, it’s called the Dip Stick. No fancy electronics, but a 10 quart capacity which is really hard to run out unless you have a massive leak. The Dipstick will only give you vision of the top 1 1/2 quarts of that precious oil. Think it’s something other than a little low on oil...
;-). Plus very little can go wrong with the included Dip Stick. I'm very familiar with mine due to the paranoia induced by reading some of the posts on this forum. :cool:

Reactions: JimT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To add to my original post...yes I know about checking oil because I’ve been doing it for years. The point is, they used that as an excuse because they do not know what is wrong. I contacted Ford and told them the issues I’m having and they sent up an email with a case number to one of the service managers so I have ANOTHER appointment for the same thing they claimed they fixed. Oh did I mention AC stopped working today just like it did about a week after I bought it last year!!! I don’t understand how I’m supposed to take my vehicle to someone who should be an expert on it and they can’t figure out what’s wrong with it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.... so here is the verdict. The first mechanic did in fact lie because low oil WAS NOT the cause. After I contacted Ford and they sent a work order to the service manager, after 6 days I was told the noise was caused by a manufacturer defect and was addressed in TSB -SSM 46173-Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit piston rattle from idle to 3000 RPM. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. BUT, the dealership was unable to answer my question: why is it starting now are you sure this is what’s causing it, is Ford going to fix it. So I was still unhappy because I’m taking my car to the expert (or so I thought) and they’re not very reassuring. But luckily my coworker has a cousin who actually worked on designing these engines. He said the TSB is correct it is normal and there’s nothing to worry about!! Thank God... Now I have to find another Ford dealership because I will never take my car there again! And to all you guys...I’m not a dumbass, my oil,dipstick comments were meant to have a very condescending tone...and I know all about check oil on a regular basis, I’ve been doing it over 20 years.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok.... so here is the verdict. The first mechanic did in fact lie because low oil WAS NOT the cause. After I contacted Ford and they sent a work order to the service manager, after 6 days I was told the noise was caused by a manufacturer defect and was addressed in TSB -SSM 46173-Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit piston rattle from idle to 3000 RPM. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. BUT, the dealership was unable to answer my question: why is it starting now are you sure this is what’s causing it, is Ford going to fix it. So I was still unhappy because I’m taking my car to the expert (or so I thought) and they’re not very reassuring. But luckily my coworker has a cousin who actually worked on designing these engines. He said the TSB is correct it is normal and there’s nothing to worry about!! Thank God... Now I have to find another Ford dealership because I will never take my car there again! And to all you guys...I’m not a dumbass, my oil,dipstick comments were meant to have a very condescending tone...and I know all about check oil on a regular basis, I’ve been doing it over 20 years.
Wow, hope things will turn out right. It is frightening to think the "experts" from the dealerships could diagnose the problem instead of trying to give you the run around. My guess is that they have no ideas what they are doing either. Keep us updated with the progress. This is a beautiful car but they are also too new to detect all the potential problems. As time progress, I am starting to read more and more issues. I knew two people who recently purchased the 18 MY and they already have start up and differential issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[video=youtube_share;wax-FqbM-mA]https://youtu.be/wax-FqbM-mA[/video]

Not a video poster.......hopefully this posted.
THIS is what my 2017 Shelby sounds like.....Awesome right ��

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I guess someone got sick of seeing/hearing me and my videos posted all over their websites or all the phone calls when they claimed that diesel didn’t meet the lemon law buy back qualifications. I traded it in for a 2018, got a GOOD rebate..so I guess the did buy it back. From the outside it looks just like the ‘17

1 - 17 of 17 Posts