Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup everyone.

I bought the 2017 model three weeks ago. Car feels perfect except the panel gap between the hood and the fender on the driver's side. I want to know what you guys did regarding to this issue?

1. Go to the dealership to fix it? Would dealership actually accept this under warranty?
2. Ignore it?
3. Find individual body shops since some dealerships are hard to work with?

Let me know about your experience with the dealership if any! THANKS!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Common problem with our cars. Your discretion whether to see if can be adjusted better. Warranty will cover it. You might want to also research panel gap on rear fascia. Not all of us but most the rear fascia will have or get a gap at the top on both sides. There have been several that have had under warranty or themselves tried to get rid of it but it always seems to come back.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The problem as you discride (single side misalignment) is usually related to a fender misalignment issue. This would be a warranty issue, but requires the dealership to have a good relationship with the body shop (ie: part of Dealer or Dealer Group is a plus), you want it done right. The build on our cars is average. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you recommend taking it back to the dealer for warranty work? The reason I felt kinda hesitated on taking the car back to the dealer is that some owners do not have positive experience with dealers doing warranty work, especially on specialty vehicles like ours. And I am not sure if things will get worse or other problems might pop out like some other comments I saw on the other posts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have to decide about how you feel about your dealership and if you get a good or bad feeling. Mine is excellent with me and I'm also familiar with the body shop personnel they use. Whether your dealership has there own body shop or some one they use talk to the person that runs the body shop, show them the problem and see how it feels to you. You do know under warranty you can use any body shop, you don't have to use theirs, warranty will pay for it. So that could be an option also. But any thing to do with body panel fitment I would insist it be done by a body shop not some mechanic that works in the service department.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to decide about how you feel about your dealership and if you get a good or bad feeling. Mine is excellent with me and I'm also familiar with the body shop personnel they use. Whether your dealership has there own body shop or some one they use talk to the person that runs the body shop, show them the problem and see how it feels to you. You do know under warranty you can use any body shop, you don't have to use theirs, warranty will pay for it. So that could be an option also. But any thing to do with body panel fitment I would insist it be done by a body shop not some mechanic that works in the service department.
So that means if they approve mine for warranty, I can take my car to any body shop I like to use and then they will pay for it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Talk to your dealership first. I am basing this on my own experience. I wanted my trunk lid adjusted because the right bottom of the black panel on the back was almost to rub the edge when closed and the other side was gapped more. They had a body shop they use but told me under warranty I could use another body shop if I wanted to. I chose theirs since I knew the body shop personnel. So you may not be able to just go directly to a body shop, get it done and present Ford dealership the bill. You may have to go through Ford dealership first and then they will I assume approve the body shop of your choice. Its probably a proper paper work thing. But that's why I said you can choose your body shop and warranty will pay for it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Johnny1 great advice...I too had both hood misalignment (passenger side was 1/4" lower than fender) and the rear fascia gap on passenger side. I was able to level the hood by adding felt spacers under the fender weather strip (not a permanent solution I know but been working so far) and I have just gotten used to the rear bumper gap. Many have this and while some have had it fixed under warranty, some have had it sag again. I'm pretty picky and it seems most times I take my car in to the dealership, it comes back with scuffed sill plates, scratches, etc. that <of course> the dealer denies knowledge of. So I sometimes just figure "the cure is worse than the cause" and let the minor stuff slide.

I was looking under the rear bumper fascia last night and it looks to be a royal pain to remove, but I may do it myself some day anyway. Noted the rear exhaust tips bolt to the bottom of the diffuser (which in turn is bolted to the fascia) so the exhaust is effectively hanging/leaning on the diffuser (sort of). Wondering if the exhaust was misaligned (or hung just a 1/4" too low) would this pull down on the rear fascia causing the gap up top? Sigh, I need to get a life :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Weather has been great so I've been driving the GT 350. Mine has now developed the rear end sag. I seem to recall someone had a fix that involved removing the rear light assembly. Anyone recall this method? No way do I want a body shop messing with my car....

Update - I found the post.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is now a TSB 18-2107 that involves new brackets, screws,rivets, and trimming plastic tabs with scissors. A lot of us are skeptical of this just being a shady fix that Ford says only takes 1.7 hr. So waiting for others to do the TSB and see if it holds up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts