Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently read that these have oil pump failure issues occurring lately. Anyone experience this

·
Registered
214 Posts
There have been several reported on another forum. There have been about 8 engine failures documented. One car is on its third engine. Fortunately, there doesn't seen to be any real worrying trends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I heard from a friend who races the GT350R that there is an issue with the factory oil filter system and he believes that was the trigger for the fire with the yellow one at Roebling this past Spring. The race cars have a separate/new filtering system, but I don't exactly know what he is talking about. The Ford dealership guys don't feel anything needs to be done, but I am still reluctant to track mine...

·
Registered
206 Posts
had mine at the track (GT350 with track package) and had no issues what so ever
Let's keep our ears open for these problems

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 with 5,200 miles suddenly had low oil pressure warning come on. Fortunately I was close to dealer. Had car towed. Dealer found metal shavings in pan. Car has been there since September 4, 2017 waiting for Ford to authorize new motor. Ford initially approved motor replacement but now wants dealer to do additional exploratory work before they will approve new motor.

Come on Ford! Do the right thing and take care of this!! Anyone have contact information for Jamal Hameedi, Chief Engineer at Ford Performance, or for Dave Pericak, Director of FP? I'm sure they would want to know what caused this Voodoo to fail.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
757 Posts
DG any update on this? Any idea on where the metal shavings are coming from? Good Luck!!

My 2017 with 5,200 miles suddenly had low oil pressure warning come on. Fortunately I was close to dealer. Had car towed. Dealer found metal shavings in pan. Car has been there since September 4, 2017 waiting for Ford to authorize new motor. Ford initially approved motor replacement but now wants dealer to do additional exploratory work before they will approve new motor.

Come on Ford! Do the right thing and take care of this!! Anyone have contact information for Jamal Hameedi, Chief Engineer at Ford Performance, or for Dave Pericak, Director of FP? I'm sure they would want to know what caused this Voodoo to fail.
View attachment 3753

·
Registered
4 Posts
DG any update on this? Any idea on where the metal shavings are coming from? Good Luck!!
Ford finally came through and approved the new voodoo! Dealer was able to provide enough evidence to Ford that the engine failure was covered by warranty and was not due to operator abuse or error. However they have not got to the heart of what caused the failure. All symptoms point to failed oil pump, but no one is even saying that. I imagine once they pull the motor it will get loaded up and shipped off to flat rock for analysis.

I'll post details as we move through the next steps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There has been some issues of this on another Forum I am on I keep a eye on my oil more than I would on a normal vehical for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
There has been some issues of this on another Forum I am on I keep a eye on my oil more than I would on a normal vehical for sure
Oil level was good. Even had oil changed at dealer ahead of schedule at 2500 miles. Under hard acceleration low oil pressure warning popped up and gauge dropped to zero pressure. No warning signs. Was hoping it was bad sensor but seems oil pump self-destructed. Sad day!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oil level was good. Even had oil changed at dealer ahead of schedule at 2500 miles. Under hard acceleration low oil pressure warning popped up and gauge dropped to zero pressure. No warning signs. Was hoping it was bad sensor but seems oil pump self-destructed. Sad day!
Holy crap that super sucks very sad day. Hope we won't see more of these issues

·
Registered
757 Posts
DG, bummer to hear that you have to have a new engine installed, but happy to see Ford is stepping up and doing the right thing. Let's hope this is an isolated case and no an indicator of a more widespread issue! Good luck and keep us up to date as you go through the engine replacement process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Voodoo Failure Update

Ford finally came through and approved the new voodoo! Dealer was able to provide enough evidence to Ford that the engine failure was covered by warranty and was not due to operator abuse or error. However they have not got to the heart of what caused the failure. All symptoms point to failed oil pump, but no one is even saying that. I imagine once they pull the motor it will get loaded up and shipped off to flat rock for analysis.

I'll post details as we move through the next steps.
9/30/17 - Ford finally approved the Voodoo replacement! I met with the service tech at the dealer as he was working on pulling the destroyed engine. He believes the oil pump gear failed. I'm hoping to know for sure what happened but don't hold high hopes. The engine is being shipped off to Ford where they will open it up and get to the source of the failure, but likely they will want to keep that information from getting out. Nevertheless I will be pursuing the results and will post whatever I'm able to find out.

Got a call from the dealer last Friday that the Shelby engine replacement is done! After 5 weeks, Friday the 13th turned out to be a great day! Breaking it in now and it feels great! Not sure if it's just my imagination but the car feels like it runs smoother and the engine sounds throatier.

In the end Ford did the right thing but the process was painful. When you buy a Shelby, Ford does a great job of making the whole experience feel special. When the engine failed, dealing with Ford customer service made me feel like I was lost in a big corporate quagmire. Total disconnect. Ford, you can and should do better!

Here's the new Voodoo ready for installation:
Hood Automotive design Engineering Space Auto part

·
Registered
214 Posts
My experience with Ford service has been very poor. It appears the right hand has nothing to do with the left hand. I'm glad yours worked out. It is amazing Ford can create such awesome cars when the organization seems to be in such disarray.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dealer is currently dropping the engine from my Shelby. No symptoms, but found lots of shavings in my oil filter at first change. Had 20% oil life on the gauge at 6K miles and about 7 months. Ford told the dealer that they would overnight an engine if they decided to replace it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
9/30/17 - Ford finally approved the Voodoo replacement! I met with the service tech at the dealer as he was working on pulling the destroyed engine. He believes the oil pump gear failed. I'm hoping to know for sure what happened but don't hold high hopes. The engine is being shipped off to Ford where they will open it up and get to the source of the failure, but likely they will want to keep that information from getting out. Nevertheless I will be pursuing the results and will post whatever I'm able to find out.

Got a call from the dealer last Friday that the Shelby engine replacement is done! After 5 weeks, Friday the 13th turned out to be a great day! Breaking it in now and it feels great! Not sure if it's just my imagination but the car feels like it runs smoother and the engine sounds throatier.

In the end Ford did the right thing but the process was painful. When you buy a Shelby, Ford does a great job of making the whole experience feel special. When the engine failed, dealing with Ford customer service made me feel like I was lost in a big corporate quagmire. Total disconnect. Ford, you can and should do better!

Here's the new Voodoo ready for installation:
View attachment 4129
Please update with your new engine and let us know the details of your process in getting the motor replaced. This could potentially save other owners from going through that painful process, although I wish no one else will experience this type of problem. Let us know what steps you took and what to avoid in the event this occurs to someone else. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Dealer is currently dropping the engine from my Shelby. No symptoms, but found lots of shavings in my oil filter at first change. Had 20% oil life on the gauge at 6K miles and about 7 months. Ford told the dealer that they would overnight an engine if they decided to replace it.
Hey Tex929, just curious, since you didn't have any symptoms, why did your dealer actually inspect the oil filter for shavings? I'm glad they did, but is this something Ford has advised their dealer network to inspect on the Voodoo engines at 1st oil change? I'm due for my 1st change now and want to mention it to my dealer...but suspect they'll know nothing about it? I prefer to change my own oil and have already purchased two of the filter elements (I have the newer canister type oil filter) but if they are actually inspecting the filter element (especially on the 1st change), I may just take it in....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Tex929, just curious, since you didn't have any symptoms, why did your dealer actually inspect the oil filter for shavings? I'm glad they did, but is this something Ford has advised their dealer network to inspect on the Voodoo engines at 1st oil change? I'm due for my 1st change now and want to mention it to my dealer...but suspect they'll know nothing about it? I prefer to change my own oil and have already purchased two of the filter elements (I have the newer canister type oil filter) but if they are actually inspecting the filter element (especially on the 1st change), I may just take it in....
No idea if they were looking for it, but it was crazy obvious. I usually change my own oil, but the dealer price was cheaper than I could buy the oil and filter, so I took it in. Happy I did.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update: no new motor for me. After dropping the engine and inspecting both the bottom and top ends, the conclusion is that all the shavings are leftover from cutting the threads for the oil filter cover. Everything went into the filter and stayed there. Ford asked the tech to replace a bunch of parts (including the filter housing adapter) and send the originals into them for inspection. Dealer handled it extremely well from my perspective and I’m thrilled to be keeping the original motor. At least if this was an assembly error they have the guys’ signatures right there on the plate.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.