Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2018 gt350R that had only 14 miles on it! I drove 100 miles so far following the guides for break in .. should I change the oil just to be safe? Knowing that the car wasn’t driven for for about 2 years. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
35 Posts
First congrats on getting basically a brand new car.
Absolutely! If it is the original oil, it's 3 years old already. Who knows how much condensation has accumilated in it over the years. Plus any gas in it is old too. Get the oil changed, fill with fresh gas, and drive it keeping a n eye out for any gas related problems. I wouldn't push it to it's limits until you get past 1K miles, contrary to what people say. If you take good care of it during the first 1K miles, you shouldn't have any problems with it burning oil down the road. And then at 1K miles, change the oil again.
Thats what I did with my 2019, which was bought new as a leftover. It sat at the dealer for almost 2 years before I bought it. I insisted the dealer put in new oil before I took it. I drove it for the first 1K miles without really going past 5K-6K rpms. Then did another oil change after 1K miles. I know have 4K miles, regularly go over 7K rpm's, and have no sign of oil consumption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First congrats on getting basically a brand new car.
Absolutely! If it is the original oil, it's 3 years old already. Who knows how much condensation has accumilated in it over the years. Plus any gas in it is old too. Get the oil changed, fill with fresh gas, and drive it keeping a n eye out for any gas related problems. I wouldn't push it to it's limits until you get past 1K miles, contrary to what people say. If you take good care of it during the first 1K miles, you shouldn't have any problems with it burning oil down the road. And then at 1K miles, change the oil again.
Thats what I did with my 2019, which was bought new as a leftover. It sat at the dealer for almost 2 years before I bought it. I insisted the dealer put in new oil before I took it. I drove it for the first 1K miles without really going past 5K-6K rpms. Then did another oil change after 1K miles. I know have 4K miles, regularly go over 7K rpm's, and have no sign of oil consumption.
Thanks.. I was thinking of doing that just to have a piece of mind.. I will never track the car, been driving a little just to get to 100 miles.never over 5k rpms . I’ll call a dealership tomorrow to schedule a oil change!!-:)

·
Registered
2020 GT350 Race Red/White Stripes- Handling and tech packages, Recaros, Carbon Fiber IP
95 Posts
So nice of the po to save it for you.
Once you get that oil change, enjoy!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I recently bought a 2018 gt350R that had only 14 miles on it! I drove 100 miles so far following the guides for break in .. should I change the oil just to be safe? Knowing that the car wasn’t driven for for about 2 years. Thanks
BOOM! I bought a 2017 R with 32 miles last October, drove the 150-200 miles home and instantly took it for a change. I alo kept it under 3K or so for 5-600 miles, then let it crrep up a little, all with very hot oil, and really did not rev it up till over 1K miles. I am very happy with the car, my last Shelby!

Well done by you, have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes congratulations on getting getting your Shelby.. I have a 2019 Shelby Shelby G T350 as well and right after the 100 miles I changed my oil it is recommended to do so.. I do not use the motorcraft oil though. I do use the amsoil everything I have read and heard they say it is better and lasts longer. Doesn't break down as fast. Hope you enjoy your new wheels.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I go with computer recommendation. I figure the Ford engineers that programmed it knew what they were doing.

Addendum: I was expecting to extend oil changes beyond computer recommendation after 24k change. I got oil analysis after 12k change (2nd change), and they said keep changing it on recommendation, there were still break-in products in the oil (!). I was going to get another analysis at 24k, but traded in the car. So, in my experience, change oil on computer recommendation for at least the first 24k miles. I would get oil analyzed at 24k. There's a lot of oil in that engine, seriously unlikely to go bad after 6k miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ordered and bought an 2018. Drove it about 350 miles. Changed the oil. Drove it to Georgia, I live in Western NY, for an MCA show. Got home, Changed the oil, about 1500 miles. Put another 1500 on and changed the oil. Drove it to AZ, UT and CO. Great drive. Added another 5200 miles. Changed the oil. I now change the oil at no more than 4000 miles or in the fall, which ever comes first. No track, just spirited drives. No oil consumption, no fuel problems. Just a great car. I now have almost 19000 miles and still loving it.
I hope you enjoy yours as much. One more thing. Drive it like it was built to drive. But don't get any tickets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts