Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my oil change at 7100 miles and requested a consumption test. It’s the second oil change and it’s all done at Koons Falls Church. They marked the dipstick and filled with 10 units of oil and said to come back after 500 miles. Had it done Friday and Saturday went on a ripping run to Gettysburg and back Saturday then today on backroads in AA country and got it up to 330 miles. So 170 more to go. So it only started to use oil at 2k miles or so. I’ve not kept an accurate count but I do have the oil receipts from their parts Dept. The car runs flawlessly. No rattles or creaks and the AC is fine. No diff leaks either. I’ve not taken it to a track but I do run it pretty good on the backroads. Highway cruise speed is usually 80 to 90. Cops seem to ignore it and when I was out in my 911s they would tail me all the time. So that’s a plus. I’ll update once my test is over.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2018. I almost got the 2017 Ruby Red they had 5K under MSRP. I got the Leadfoot Grey in May.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beautiful car @ ruby red owner.

I took mine to the mountains this weekend and wow can it take those pin turns and everything. Drove it in 2nd and 3rd mostly and occasionally 4th. Just awesome. Lip made it out alive too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It drives like a big Porsche. But it was benchmarked against the 997.1 GT3 so it should. Really amazing how a car its size can be so nimble. As for the Amsiol.....its been claimed that using it stops oil consumption.....but its really not proven beyond a few people. I live in a condo and the car is in a garage, so I can't change my own oil. So I go to the dealer, if I had them put in the Amsoil who knows if they might void the warranty. But its a thought.

·
Registered
247 Posts
They cannot and will not void the warranty over Amsoil. It meets the Ford spec. Any other discussion about a threat thereof is BS.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil test over and it’s burning too much. Papers wil be given to Ford and I’m guessing I get a new motor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She said the tech did not tell her. By my own tests it was 1 quart per 200 miles or so. Too bad but I knew up front it was possible. If the second engine burns oil not sure what to do. But I’ll wait for thst to happen. By now Ford must know what’s causing this, as they are still selling them in 2019. But no orders taken yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you guys letting the oil settle for 10 mins after it's been driven? I was checking mine at every fuel up so after a minute or two at the pump while it was being fueled and I noticed it was not below the dip and I brought it in to the service dept. They said I should have let it settled for 10 minutes before testing. Is that the right way to do it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. Manual says wait 15 minutes and it needs to be warm. It’s what I do. The service writer came up and said it’s burnung oil and the papers will be filed with Ford and she’ll call me next week. I’m just hoping the second motor won’t have the same problem. I really do believe that’s why the order banks for the 2019 are not open yet. I think Ford wants to figure this out. So I’ll keep getting motors for five years then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Damn that sucks and I have been a Mopar and Chevy guy for years. Most recently I sold both of my Challenger Hellcat and Charger Hellcat. And have owned many Corvette ZO6s with none of the oil issues I am now reading and hearing about on the GT350. It seems from what little I have read either your car is burning a lot of oil and or just a little bit. And I picked up a freshly used GT350 this past summer with 9k on her and now wondering like others if I need to monitor the oil more frequently. I have only out about 1000 miles on her since getting her and put 1 quart if oil in her. And not sure if the selling dealer had topped her off and or changed the oil. Reading your posting I am definitely getting oil changed and watching. Thanks for the heads up and I live in Leesburg so a neighbor. And be careful on your speeds I had a terrible hard lesson this past January and learned a lot on how tough Va is and only Va on RECKLESS driving it’s radical. Class 1 misdemeanor Crimminal Charge and Conviction if your found guilty. 20 mph Over any posted speed limit and anything over 80 is automatic Reckless. I got nailed in my 2018 Raptor Truck on 81 and what a fiasco that was. I’ll explain more if you need any info to any here. I’ll be watching this thread to see how Ford Treats you and is there any chance they can ship her to California and do the “Super Snake”.? That would be awesome and hell I’d even ask the dealer what allowance they would give you lol. Good luck and hope for the best for you. And here’s mine which I just put Louvers on her and I have never in all my years of owning soo many cars put Louvers on:

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m thinking it’s the valve guides that are pressed into the cylinder heads and or the valve stems. If both are out of tolerance or maybe one they leak oil into the cylinder. One person on the mustang6 site was able to see what the dealer did. They scoped the bores and saw no scoring but did find oil pooled on top of the pistons in cylinders 2 and 8 I think. The squirters place oil up and into the pistons to help cool them. I don’t think they would be the problem. Once I get a new engine I might just go back to a 911. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like they want me to bring it in for compression and leak down test, and borescope it. So that’s what I’ll do. They’ve done the same with others. None of that will help it stop using oil but I suppose they need the data. Seems to me they can do those procedures back at the plant. Oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts