Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought on 8/30 received it last week on Monday Sept. 24 after shipping it to California. This car is an experience! worth every penny!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love the color! So you haven't had to deal with smogging it yet? They made me take mine to a referree since I bought it out of state. It was easy though, and passed with flying colors :) Someone else in here had trouble with CA smog.

Reactions: JimT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, I love the color.

All I have to do is vin check with the DMV, which is scheduled. The Ford dealer dealt with the DMV for me after I signed power of attorney. I followed all of the DMV rules of buying a new car out of state: paying CA taxes, 50-state legal car, and then vin check.

That's weird that you had to go to a referee. Did you buy from a dealer? Did they deal with the DMV on your behalf? Did you buy new? I know that for used cars you do have to get a smog test. If new, then that's strange being that your car is 50-state and CA OBD-II certified, but perhaps it was an over zealous DMV agent. Still a small thing that you had to do.

Do not know the reasons for why the other person who had trouble had to do a SMOG check, or the reasons for their trouble: was it modified? Because if it was new, unmodified, and under warranty then any issues with smog are a Ford warranty problem or of their concern because the car was certified for CA use. Perhaps it was used, maybe they had to deal with the DMV themselves, etc..., there's a lot of factors in that situation that are left blank, but that seems like a specific situation; but for my car all that is required is a vin check.

People buy new cars out of state all the time, so it's not new, usually the main problems arise with not paying CA taxes and then people get shocked when the DMV asks for thousands of dollars, but as long as it is a 50-state car, the rest is simple.

·
Registered
65 Posts
People buy new cars out of state all the time, so it's not new, usually the main problems arise with not paying CA taxes and then people get shocked when the DMV asks for thousands of dollars, but as long as it is a 50-state car, the rest is simple.
I bought a new minivan, 2018 model, back in January of this year. I bought it out of state in OR and had it shipped to CA. Brand new. CA DMV made me smog it. So my understanding is every new car bought out of (CA) state has to be smogged. I also had to physically drive the new car to DMV and have them physically inspect the VIN and paperwork; I drove up to some car lane and they took 3 mins to look at it and that was it. Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
love that color.
Thanks, it's a really dynamic color, which looking at your avatar you already know. Under different light conditions it looks either lighter or darker. I originally did not like color because I was only seeing it through pictures online that people had posted of Lead Foot Grey, but luckily the local dealer had a Raptor and an F-150 in the same color and I was able to see it in person and under different lighting conditions, and I fell in love with it. It's really a light grey, but change the lighting and it appears 3 shades darker. It's a really dynamic paint, almost similar to a color changing paint as it changes so much under different conditions.

Did a photoshoot this week on paint protection and the color really changes dependent on the lighting. And if a camera is not setup correctly it may even make the color look brownish.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a new minivan, 2018 model, back in January of this year. I bought it out of state in OR and had it shipped to CA. Brand new. CA DMV made me smog it. So my understanding is every new car bought out of (CA) state has to be smogged. I also had to physically drive the new car to DMV and have them physically inspect the VIN and paperwork; I drove up to some car lane and they took 3 mins to look at it and that was it. Anyway, keep us posted.

If I am told that is a requirement, then it a small inconvenience. There is a difference between being required a smog test, which can be done any approved CA Smog Test facility and being required to go see a referee. In Socal area the referee is at Cerritos college and that is a 1-month wait to get an appointment. Recently had to deal with that on my Silver 2006 converted to a 2012 mustang. Referee is a big deal, but you usually have to fail before or have some specific reason or odd ball case that requires an expert to sign off on the car for the state to approve the car as legal. A new car bought out of state requiring that much scrutiny would be abnormal and if NorCalGal had to do that, then that is out of the norm of common cars that were just bought out of state.

The major thing is taxes that people get caught on. A woman bought a car from a dealer in OR, and only paid their taxes (they don't really have taxes so she only paid around $300 in taxes and fees), when she registered it here, she had to pay $2k or some amount.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The major thing is taxes that people get caught on. A woman bought a car from a dealer in OR, and only paid their taxes (they don't really have taxes so she only paid around $300 in taxes and fees), when she registered it here, she had to pay $2k or some amount.
Yeah, there is no way around the tax issue. You pay in the state you register the car; some don't know that. For me/us here in Los Angeles, we basically have to multiply by almost 11% to cover TTL. Painful. One thing I didn't know about paying tax is how it works for used cars. A few months back, I started looking at used GT350's because I thought you don't pay tax on used; of course, I was wrong. You'd think the state makes it's money on only new cars, but they get you with used cars and call it not a "sales tax" but a "use tax". Same amount though. Ridiculous.

Anyway, happy for you. That Xpel looks n-i-c-e!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, there is no way around the tax issue. You pay in the state you register the car; some don't know that. For me/us here in Los Angeles, we basically have to multiply by almost 11% to cover TTL. Painful. One thing I didn't know about paying tax is how it works for used cars. A few months back, I started looking at used GT350's because I thought you don't pay tax on used; of course, I was wrong. You'd think the state makes it's money on only new cars, but they get you with used cars and call it not a "sales tax" but a "use tax". Same amount though. Ridiculous.

Anyway, happy for you. That Xpel looks n-i-c-e!

Was just going to like, but have to warn you not to go with Xpel. From all of the people who rave about it, I went requesting that brand, but was told that they cannot guarantee a warranty because they are in a patent infringement lawsuit with 3M, and if they lose, then you lose your warranty. Went with 3m Pro Series.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was just going to like, but have to warn you not to go with Xpel. From all of the people who rave about it, I went requesting that brand, but was told that they cannot guarantee a warranty because they are in a patent infringement lawsuit with 3M, and if they lose, then you lose your warranty. Went with 3m Pro Series.
Which company did it for you? I notice a 951 area code, so somewhere out towards Riverside? Thanks for the tip on Xpel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which company did it for you? I notice a 951 area code, so somewhere out towards Riverside? Thanks for the tip on Xpel.
Protektive Coatings, 951-214-9189. Very experienced guy, used to be West Coast Customs in-house paint protection and wraps guy as well as a local Mercedes dealership installation expert. He is so good at this art form that I figured I would turn it into an article for the magazine that I write for.

·
Registered
757 Posts
WOW, that's a beauty!! Color just "POPS"!! Congrats and welcome to the forum! Watch out for Lou, he's a stripe guy and will be chiming in soon :) I removed my stripes and had the roof wrapped in black as well! How I would have ordered it from factory!

Hey, check out the Events Forum, join us at Ponies on the Pike next Sunday??

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks, I love the color.

All I have to do is vin check with the DMV, which is scheduled. The Ford dealer dealt with the DMV for me after I signed power of attorney. I followed all of the DMV rules of buying a new car out of state: paying CA taxes, 50-state legal car, and then vin check.

That's weird that you had to go to a referee. Did you buy from a dealer? Did they deal with the DMV on your behalf? Did you buy new? I know that for used cars you do have to get a smog test. If new, then that's strange being that your car is 50-state and CA OBD-II certified, but perhaps it was an over zealous DMV agent. Still a small thing that you had to do.

Do not know the reasons for why the other person who had trouble had to do a SMOG check, or the reasons for their trouble: was it modified? Because if it was new, unmodified, and under warranty then any issues with smog are a Ford warranty problem or of their concern because the car was certified for CA use. Perhaps it was used, maybe they had to deal with the DMV themselves, etc..., there's a lot of factors in that situation that are left blank, but that seems like a specific situation; but for my car all that is required is a vin check.

I bought a new 2018 Raptor in MO this past June and just had to have it smogged and weighed. No issue whatsoever. The dealer didn't charge tax as the State you first register it in charges the sales tax. My dealer didn't want to mess with remitting taxes to CA as if an out of state dealer does charge you sales tax, and you register it in CA, then they have to remit to CA and you have to pay any difference in taxes to CA DMV. Seems ridiculous to have to smog as I found out that enough States have adopted CA emission standards that pretty much all new vehicles are 50 State emissions compliant anyways...in fact I was looking at a 2019 Bullitt (here in SoCal) and it now states on the window sticker "50 State Emissions Compliant" rather than the old "CA Emissions Compliant"...sorry think I just beat a dead horse here ;). Was super easy to buy out of state and register in CA, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again! Saved $6K on the new Raptor by not paying ADM's here on the West coast (I got it at $1K under MSRP) and had a fantastic road trip to boot!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
WOW, that's a beauty!! Color just "POPS"!! Congrats and welcome to the forum! Watch out for Lou, he's a stripe guy and will be chiming in soon :) I removed my stripes and had the roof wrapped in black as well! How I would have ordered it from factory!

Hey, check out the Events Forum, join us at Ponies on the Pike next Sunday??
Thanks, it is a beauty and I love the color. My one requirement that I wanted was no stripes. Saw stripes coming off in a dealer. So no stripes was a must, and I loved how the black roof makes the car appear lower to the eye. To each their own, we all buy what we like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You were right, you do have to get a Smog even on a new car. Simple enough, 1 hour at Ford Dealer for them to Smog it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts