Mustang GT350 Forums banner

New GT350R electrical gremlins

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Voo Doo Dave 
#1 ·
Hello all. New here and happy to be so. So I took delivery of a brand spanking new GT350R about 3 weeks ago, delivery miles only. Got delivered by transport in the evening and all was well getting off the truck into the garage. The next day I want to take it out and when I start the car, the dash fails to illuminate. Car runs well though. Suddenly it comes on, only to have a bunch of error messages display and then shuts down again. Called the local dealer to get advice and they claim they are booked up for a week before they can look at it.
I run the car the following day to try it out, everything working well. I’m like WTF??? The next day start out well but after 5 mins entire dash goes dark and then the engine starts to misfire! Now even turn signals don’t work.

Got the car to the dealer the following day (2 mile drive) and car works perfect until I hit the dealer entrance when it begins to badly misfire and dash craps out again. The wait begins. 4 days later I get a call that all is fixed and well. The misfire was caused by a poor pin connection in the harness and was a straightforward solution. They believed the dash issues were a similar problem but they never really found anything. I was immediately skeptical. Nevertheless, they said they took it our for multiple test drives and it was perfect. Consistent with my luck, I show at at the dealer to pick up the car, get in, push the START button, and the dash dies in 3 seconds. Back to the drawing board.

They subsequently remove the entire dashboard and go through the wiring inch by inch. They hit paydirt when they notice some metal spike or pin as part of the chassis welding process under the dash which was not removed before the wiring was installed. Apparently the wires were shoved over this spike, which pierced the insulation of at least one of the wires and was shorting out the dash power module. Absolutely nuts, BUT... kudos to them for finding what was surely a needle in a haystack. Mercedes took a month to figure out a much simpler problem on my S-Class.

Anyway, since then, car is freaking perfect. Looks great, drives great, sounds great. Praying that was it as far as major issues. Not sure what conclusions to draw from a brand new car having 2 separate critical electrical problems out of the factory and how it was not picked up before, but in the interest of not losing any more days from my life I will refrain from thinking about it.;)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello Kesiro! I’m have an issue with a ‘random misfire’ on bank two. I’ve had it into the dealer and they replaced the coil. It came back in the same location. I put a new coil in and it’s still doing it. I’m thinking it’s a connection like yours. Do you know where your bad connection was? Was it the connector at the coil? Thx!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.