Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange GT350R, 2020 Grabber Lime Green GT500 CFTP, 1965 Backdraft Cobra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver front tpms sensor needs to be replaced. I can hear it banging inside the whee when driving so I have the car parked until I get it fixed.

The dealer I bring my car to cannot do the work - they don’t have a tire machine that can be used with carbon fiber wheels.

Anyone in here have any suggestions? I have spoken with Victor Ford, Schaumburg Ford, Gillespie Ford, all cannot.

I also spoke with the local Ferrari & Mclaren dealership but they haven’t gotten back to me with an answer even though I know they can absolutely help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have had good luck with Firestone / they have a new machine with the guards on it and they let me stand next to the manager and watch - plus they use black weights - I have two sets with combined 27k and at least - few sets of SS and Cup2 each

·
Registered
152 Posts
The local shop I found is a German car specialty shop. You might look for a Porsche shop around Chicago.

Frankly, I'm surprised the dealerships don't have a subcontractor setup for dealing with the wheels. They have some responsibility.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That’s funny because I rolled into our biggest ford dealer yesterday and was to that their machine couldn’t align 350’s or R’s if they had Ford Performance springs and castor plates -yet FP worked with RPG to save my 00350 5.2 to a sleeved -1500hp race block

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange GT350R, 2020 Grabber Lime Green GT500 CFTP, 1965 Backdraft Cobra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback - was surprised to see that my ford dealer, the largest in Chicago with the largest Shelby allocations cannot work on this wheel - disappointed ford would sell a product and not service it.

I’ll let you guys know what I come up with!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are only 6 shops in my county that have the correct machine to work on carbon fiber wheels. Additionally, those machines need a special adapter to fit into the lug hole to secure the wheel to the machine and prevent it from spinning.

The standard adapter is for wheels with standard length wheel lugs. Unfortunately this won’t work for the 350R wheels due to the extra long studs and barrel length in the wheel.

Out of all 6 there were just two who had the equipment and willingness to do it.

So for all you 350R guys, plan ahead when looking for a shop to replace tires and or repair tpms and valve stems.

All in all it took about an hour and everyone was afraid that they would damage the wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it turned out that the TPMS sensor literally broke off of the valve stem into four separate pieces.

I’ve never had this happen unless I hit a pothole and blew the tire out at the same time.

Ford won’t warranty it and couldn’t work on it so I bought the correct sensor and brought it to the local shop who did the work.

All in it cost about $204 for pets and labor.

There is no damage to the wheel inside or outside. The white streaks in some of the photos is the grease used while removing and reinstalling the tire.

Glove Safety glove Textile Sleeve Orange

Outerwear Automotive tire Road surface Textile Wood

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

Orange Grey Wood Personal protective equipment Metal

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Supercharged362 - I too am from Chicago's NW Suburbs, who did you finally decide on to do the work. My office is next to Victor Ford, they have sold a few of these and have done oil changes with great success, seem to be very knowledgeable. I've had Wickstrom Ford perform service in the past, great people to deal with. When the time comes I'd like to know who best services these wheels. The video available on You Tube -
- makes it seem pretty basic providing care is taken by the operator. Maybe its time to buy one and start a side business in the Chicago area

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol - love the side business idea - I ended up using Berry Tire in Libertyville - they have the machine, we’re super cautious, and even wanted me to be next to them watching so I could see what was happening - I drive to Schaumburg ford for all dealer services but will only go here for wheel and tire service…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts