GT350.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife tells all of her friends that my GT350 is my "mid-life crisis" car and at the age of 58 I'm too old to be driving a sports car like this. I told her she's crazy any I seriously dought you will see very many 20-year old drivers of this car. If the purchase price doesn't kill them, the insurance premium will. Am I right or wrong? Any other slightly silver hair owners out there? Please share as I'm very curious to know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
rob-w
You aren't the only "mature" individual out there with a GT350! I will be 67 soon and have one plus a 2009GT-500. I regularly do 20+ days on the track a year (HPDE) and am completing the process to become an instructor. So you aren't alone! Take your car to the track and enjoy--isn't that why you bought it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm 56 and am replacing my 2004 GTO with this. It is light years ahead of my 1970 428CJ Mach 1. I do some track days and have a 24 Hours of Lemons Mustang as well. I would hardly call this a mid life crisis. Maybe you could say that about my HHR SS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rob,
Tell wifey that age is a state of mind!
I'm 60 and successfully competing in SCCA road racing against drivers a third my age. Currently in 3rd place in GT2 class points.

Better yet, 79 year old Kenny Bupp beat "the kids" and WON the 2016 SCCA Trans Am Sebring event last month. As "the kids" took themselves out of the race with ridiculous moves, old age and treachery prevailed over youth and vigor:

Kenny Bupp collects first-career Trans Am Championship win, tops all-Chevrolet podium

P.S.: My "R" arrives next Friday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rob
Plenty of men and a few women your age and older are driving serious cars on track and off. Just don't tell your wife she is crazy. Maybe if she sees that the folks at HPDE's tend to be mature people she will lighten up. Fact is that I, like a lot of guys could not afford track ready machinery when we were kids or even through raising our families/college expenses, etc. and have been making up for lost time for a couple of years. Tracked my '15 991 TTS for the past two seasons and have done several other HPDE's, including the amazing basic two day and the masters two day at Barber Motor Sports Park in AL with the Porsche folks. Want a '17 GT350 and will try ASAP to order one if the dealer allocations ever open up. Probably get a street version, but possibly an R. Funny thing about the allocation situation with Ford is that I can get anything I want from my Porsche dealer and am #1 on the list for the 991.2 GT3, which I guess will be out within a couple of years. For that matter, if I wanted an ACR, no problem from Dodge. Wish Ford would get real and would tell its dealers what production runs and allocation are planned. The sales folks at Ford dealerships and their managers should save all the BS about having to talk to the regional rep or fleet manager. Ford is making a big mistake allowing ADM's. Maybe it should just up the MSRP, as the GT350 is a good deal at $5k over current MSRP, but not more. Would be nice to have a GT350, but no way will I pay a premium or just buy out of inventory, unless it is close to my specs and at a discount. Much as I want one, I can be patient and can do without. After all, I have spent most of my life without such great cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife tells all of her friends that my GT350 is my "mid-life crisis" car and at the age of 58 I'm too old to be driving a sports car like this. I told her she's crazy any I seriously dought you will see very many 20-year old drivers of this car. If the purchase price doesn't kill them, the insurance premium will. Am I right or wrong? Any other slightly silver hair owners out there? Please share as I'm very curious to know.
Rob, tell your wife it keeps you young! Age is a state of mind!

I guess I've always been in mid-life crisis mode. Since high school I've always been into various fast cars & motorcycles, so it's no surprise when friends or family see me with a new toy. But certainly with age comes wisdom, self control, and for most of us, the means by which to get the car we pined for in our youth. Mine was a friend's GT500KR. At 56 I'm full circle now and able to buy the hottest Mustang ever produced (IMO).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob,
Tell wifey that age is a state of mind!
I'm 60 and successfully competing in SCCA road racing against drivers a third my age. Currently in 3rd place in GT2 class points.

Better yet, 79 year old Kenny Bupp beat "the kids" and WON the 2016 SCCA Trans Am Sebring event last month. As "the kids" took themselves out of the race with ridiculous moves, old age and treachery prevailed over youth and vigor:

Kenny Bupp collects first-career Trans Am Championship win, tops all-Chevrolet podium

P.S.: My "R" arrives next Friday!
Good luck on delivery of your R. Just ordered mine and I have months of anticipation to look forward to.

S.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the post! Mid-life crisis, just for fun or whatever, run with it whatever it is. I am just north of 50 and it was my wife's idea for the GT350! Agree with the others who make very good points. In solidarity...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rob!! I am 59 and haven't even hit mid life, let alone a crisis. My wife loves the car and is very happy that I spend some time driving it rather than chasing anything else! There are guys on the forums in their 70's driving GT350's and my reply to your wife is you aren't old till you are DIRT!! Have fun and tear it up on the track. These cars keep us young and, if that isn't enough, get your testosterone checked;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Who cares if it makes you happy! If when you get behind the wheel you are all smiles, that is what matters. Take her friends for a ride, shut them all up!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Trust ME! There is no midlife crisis involved with the GT350 . . . I have been waiting 40 years for a car like this. I'm 60 and at this point in my life it is the perfect car for me. It fits the current family well, and it provides my needs for daily driving and weekend racing all wrapped up in one vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 48 and my wife and both jokingly call the (soon to be arriving GT350) my mid life crisis (that I have been planning and saving for years). At one point I almost gave up on the idea and her input was "don't give up on your dreams", God I love that woman! So we are both looking forward to the "date night car" and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the hell out of that thing!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm 48 and my wife and both jokingly call the (soon to be arriving GT350) my mid life crisis (that I have been planning and saving for years). At one point I almost gave up on the idea and her input was "don't give up on your dreams", God I love that woman! So we are both looking forward to the "date night car" and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the hell out of that thing!
Seeing that a true crisis cannot be planned for, I guess you're safe from the 'mid life crisis' accusation!! Also agree life is so much better when you find the correct spouse (or they find you)!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts