Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m just curious to know if general around town use of sport mode and above where Magna ride is engaged would cause premature wear and tear and loss of longevity to these shocks? We all love sport mode for good reasons but are we reducing shock life? Should we save it for the track (in which I intend for casual track use - not competitively). Sure, of course we should get used to using what we have and how the vehicle handles, this I know, so no real need to address this.

Thanks! Dr Voodoo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello all, I’m just curious to know if general around town use of sport mode and above where Magna ride is engaged would cause premature wear and tear and loss of longevity to these shocks? We all love sport mode for good reasons but are we reducing shock life? Should we save it for the track (in which I intend for casual track use - not competitively). Sure, of course we should get used to using what we have and how the vehicle handles, this I know, so no real need to address this.

Thanks! Dr Voodoo
Well Doc, I don’t think there would be any added damage to the shocks in Sport (maybe your kidneys though). Magna Ride only changes the fluid viscosity using electrical current (pretty cool chemistry). The week link in a shock,is the shaft seals which will fail under different reasons, usually machining irregularities during production. An increase in fluid viscosity (which is what’s done in a split second as you drive) only applies increased pressure on the sealing surface which tends to limit any premature leaking. I say, enjoy Sport mode (if it doesnt piss off the neighbors). I haven’t read any posts which point to shock or Magna Ride failures.
Remember, Magna Ride is sold to other manufactures too, like the Tremec Trans. Good strong stuff. :eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting someone else had this in mind as well. I also thought about this issue too. But, as JimT said, you're probably okay running sport mode around. You would have to determine if the system adjusts more times per second in sport vs normal. Then you might have a case for using normal over sport during regular driving in that situation, but even then, I would guess it's not that much in terms of wear. I'm slightly paranoid, so I run normal on the street and sport on the track. I also do that because my guess is that ford engineers designed the car with those driving situations in mind. So I would say...do whatever you want. I don't think it really matters. Shiny side up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run sport mode nearly 100%. It would be 100% but sometime I briefly forget to set it ....

My plan is to buy the extended warranty when the factory warranty expires and enjoy my GT350.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I change the exhaust to sport, but keep the magna ride on. I changed it to sport mode a few days ago and my kidneys hated me for it. I live in Midland, TX and we have the worst city streets of any place I have ever lived. Rough streets like magna ride.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I drive in Sport Mode nearly all the time except when I’m approaching specific overpasses with every uneven surfaces. I switch to Normal Mode and then return to Sport Mode to save the fillings in my back teeth!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well Doc, I don’t think there would be any added damage to the shocks in Sport (maybe your kidneys though). Magna Ride only changes the fluid viscosity using electrical current (pretty cool chemistry). The week link in a shock,is the shaft seals which will fail under different reasons, usually machining irregularities during production. An increase in fluid viscosity (which is what’s done in a split second as you drive) only applies increased pressure on the sealing surface which tends to limit any premature leaking. I say, enjoy Sport mode (if it doesnt piss off the neighbors). I haven’t read any posts which point to shock or Magna Ride failures.
Remember, Magna Ride is sold to other manufactures too, like the Tremec Trans. Good strong stuff. :eek:
Nice explanation JimT. I didn't know there was any other driving mode. ;-)

Reactions: JimT

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting someone else had this in mind as well. I also thought about this issue too. But, as JimT said, you're probably okay running sport mode around. You would have to determine if the system adjusts more times per second in sport vs normal. Then you might have a case for using normal over sport during regular driving in that situation, but even then, I would guess it's not that much in terms of wear. I'm slightly paranoid, so I run normal on the street and sport on the track. I also do that because my guess is that ford engineers designed the car with those driving situations in mind. So I would say...do whatever you want. I don't think it really matters. Shiny side up!
No difference in adjustment times, just the amount of current applied to the shock fluid. Look into the DSC Sport controller for improved ride on the street as well as better performance on the track.Superb system that is programmable and user friendly.

2016 Magnetic w/ blue stripe Tech pkg, DSC controller, MGW shifter, OEM trans and Diff cooler kits, FPP shocks.
Love this car!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I change the exhaust to sport, but keep the magna ride on. I changed it to sport mode a few days ago and my kidneys hated me for it. I live in Midland, TX and we have the worst city streets of any place I have ever lived. Rough streets like magna ride.
Dude, I live in Odessa, so I can relate. Check out DSC Sport for a nicer ride around town that does not sacrifice handling. My car is way smoother but also better handling
And for all you who complain about the ride, my son drives a Focus RS, great car but it pogos like a mother!! Will be putting a DSC controller on it since reviews have praised the smoother ride with improved track times.

Also, come out to Cars and Coffee on Oct. 13 at Mission Dorado Baptist Church. See you there!

·
Registered
141 Posts
You’ll save a little bit of money if you buy it before it expires. I’m not sure but Ford could require an inspection if you wait until just before the factory warranty expires. You probably should give them a call to verify this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No difference in adjustment times, just the amount of current applied to the shock fluid. Look into the DSC Sport controller for improved ride on the street as well as better performance on the track.Superb system that is programmable and user friendly.

2016 Magnetic w/ blue stripe Tech pkg, DSC controller, MGW shifter, OEM trans and Diff cooler kits, FPP shocks.
Love this car!!!

Good info for me as well. I had an RS and loved the DSC for that ride. Will look into their GT350 product now. I also need to figure out how to stop my wheels from following every nook and cranny on the streets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts