Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Madlag’s 2018 GT350R

I thought this would be a good place to put to document my mods to the car as I make them. I’ve ordered a few things...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And some Lloyd red logo floor mats. Very impressed with the quality of the mats. They’re two or three times as heavy as the factory ones and look amazing. Still waiting on the damn shift know to arrive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do some homework on that CAI; I think you'll find they're pretty much worthless on this car. Do nothing for you. I think I want the hood struts too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do some homework on that CAI; I think you'll find they're pretty much worthless on this car. Do nothing for you. I think I want the hood struts too!
I’ve read folks were seeing some good results with the bigger intake, the headers and a prof tune. Around 35HP on the dyno which seem decent to me. In either case it was far enough out or unknown enough for me to put a high flow filter on it for now.

The hood struts are really nice. I was sweating putting them on and the first couple of hood closures but they work flawlessly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over the weekend I added the Roush quarter window scoops. I thought they were the closest to the cars styling and classic sixties styling with a modern twist. The black is a perfect match to the mirrors and wing. Best picture I have for now. I’m OCD about fit and finish of things in general; these are top notch products.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Over the past few weeks I have some goodies in the garage just begging for install. Diode Dynamics led rear markers, sequencers, LED interior light upgrade, Steeda jacking rails and an MGW shifter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys the shifter showed up last week. First impressions just handling it: WOW. Precision Mech Tech. Here’s an update from tonight.

Car is up on all fours via jack stands. Original shifter completely removed and ready to drop the new MGW in. This took approx two hours. I think if you’d done it before it would take an hour or less for disassembly. I was up early this morning so I figure I’ll finish it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Very excited. For those that were concerned about doing it on the floor, so far its a breeze. I’ll post up some pics and the tools used when I’m done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey guys the shifter showed up last week. First impressions just handling it: WOW. Precision Mech Tech. Here’s an update from tonight.

Car is up on all fours via jack stands. Original shifter completely removed and ready to drop the new MGW in. This took approx two hours. I think if you’d done it before it would take an hour or less for disassembly. I was up early this morning so I figure I’ll finish it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Very excited. For those that were concerned about doing it on the floor, so far its a breeze. I’ll post up some pics and the tools used when I’m done.
I'm interested in whatever you want to share about the MGW install. I'd be doing it with jack stands or wheel cribs so that perspective is helpful. I just bought four Raceramps wheel cribs and I need to try them out. ;-)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm interested in whatever you want to share about the MGW install. I'd be doing it with jack stands or wheel cribs so that perspective is helpful. I just bought four Raceramps wheel cribs and I need to try them out. ;-)
Will do brother. I'll get some pics and my thoughts on it as soon as I'm finished. I saw a lot of folks with the shifter but few who had done it themselves and even fewer who had some commentary on it. A picture is worth a thousand words they say. -I've only done the disassembly and it was a breeze. I'm OCD/methodical in my approach to things (which is why I do it myself) and it only took two hours to remove.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shifter completely installed, adjusted and tested. What an amazing upgrade. An even shorter throw, super precise and feels great. I love it. Pictures and thoughts tonight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're going to track your car a lot, get you some Vorshlag bits for camber and alignment adjustments, and Caliperfexion studs. 'Cause you will be changing pads and tires pretty often. (Worth every penny)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok @<a href="https://www.gt350.org/forum/member.php?u=5761" target="_blank">ringmaster</a> , here are my thoughts on the MGW shifter install. It could have went faster but I'm meticulous (read OCD) and really take my time. No need to rush...

Tools used for interior disassembly:

I put the car up on 4 jack stands in my garage and used a creeper for sliding around underneath. The picture will give you an idea of approx height:

Interior components pulled out for discard. One thing to note here is that rather than beat the roll pin out of the shifter handle, I used vice grips to grab and pull. It seemed easier and less stressful to components.

What it looks like once you're done with disassembly on the inside of car:

Underside disassembly was a breeze, taking no time at all. Here's an updated tool shot with everything that was used (including interior tools)

Big hole:

Side by side arms:

Linkage and arm installed. its the only part I thought was tight. Getting that long front bolt lined up and installed took a minute.

Dropped in the new unit:

I adjusted the shifter as advised. Mine was not in calibration from the factory as the video states. IT WAS WAY OFF EXTREMELY TIGHT. This is the allen key that I sacrificed to adjust it:

Another thing I saw folks mentioning was a that there wasn't enough loctite. I had more than enough! Enough if not, its just standard BLUE found at any parts store.

Overall, I enjoyed the install and give it a 2 out of 5 on install difficulty. It took less than 5 hours total and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the floor vs a lift. I encourage everyone to get the MGW. Its so much of an upgrade it makes you wonder how you've never had one before...

edit to add: I followed the directions on the MGW install video located here:
[video=youtube_share;alLaeI8ZTBY]https://youtu.be/alLaeI8ZTBY[/video]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good commentary and great photos. Very informative, especially the equipment used, and thanks for including that most important piece of equipment, the bottle cap. Love it. I take it the instructions that came with the shifter were ok? Thanks for posting this!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts