GT350.org banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Remind your service manager that the transmission and differential are also part of the drive train and have new gears that should be given at least a few hundred miles to smooth in together. I have known of a few people with performance cars with the same mind set of just get in it and let her rip because as stated most modern engines can handle that but later complaining of whining from the rear end and don't know why, because they didn't just give those gears a little while to mesh in smooth together. Duh!!
Dead on, the bearings also need to “seasoned”. This is the mating of ball bearing with riding surface. High stress too soon will compromise the bearings. I have seen many differential builds go back due to overuse prior to seasoning of the bearings. We paid a lot for these cars, give them a fighting chance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hahahaha...yea...clearly someone took my post to heart (not you). I posted that in jest, but maybe not, LOL. I do get a kick over how much stock most people invest in that though. Break in periods are all liability bro. That engine is already broken in. It's the manufacturers way of easing you into the car in case there is something wrong; a sort of shake down period if you will. When you buy a new crate motor or something, how do you think they've been broken in?? Wide ass open on a dyno! Yes, there are, and have always bee, two schools of thought on this topic. I subscribe to breaking it in the way you want it to run. Now don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I flog the holy crap out of it straight out of the garage, cold, first thing in the morning. It's completely warm before I engage the silliness...but I don't avoid X rpm just because. I drive it the way I want to. Have done this with any new vehicle or engine I've ever owned and it has served me very, very well. Everyone has different tolerance levels and different devils speaking in their ear. You'll just have to make your own educated decisions. Most people nowadays are so warranty averse always it's ridiculous. I wouldn't own a darn new car if I was as scared of the warranty as most folks are.
This exactly. I don’t dog my cars anyway but if I did, it certainly won’t hurt them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does LC do anything other than hold RPM at set number line a 2 step rev limiter?

I assume you also want to go into drag mode to use line locks to launch using that feature, no? Otherwise, how are you all launching?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I do know that in our manuals it says that line lock (possibly LC too) will not engage until the coolant temp is over 170 degrees. Also something else interesting is the fact that the rev limiter is dropped to 8000rpm until the car hits normal op temp.

On the subject of break-ins, the manual's recommendation is 100 miles before "Prolonged or frequent periods of WOT use", and basically don't track it until 1000.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea and those new gears in the differential and transmission need some mileage to seat properly. Those that complain about hearing differential whine after awhile on new cars are usually the ones that drove the **** out of it from day one. Exactly why I won't buy used cars either.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts