Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual and cannot believe that 150lbs is the right torque spec for our wheels.

I come from high performance BMW's (88 ft/lbs) and a Tesla (129 ft/lbs), so reading and applying 150 ft/lbs seems awefully dangerous and unbelievable.

When I pulled the wheels off, I bet there wasn't 90 ft/lbs of torque applied to any lug, so is the manual wrong?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why would the manual be wrong? It’s correct and yes I’m doing it. It also does not “feel” like it’s too much. You know how a nut or bolt has that feeling when you’re about to go tooo far?? This doesn’t. It’s solid. You’re good bro, trust it. Disclaimer...I know my torque wrench % error is to the tight side, so I set mine at 140 and go to town.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I torqued it to the min spec of 135 and it was a chore to get there. I just kept thinking, "no way is this right". My mechanic friend (who also races) suggested I ask the community if they too are going all the way to 150 as it feels unbelievably tight.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was reading the manual and cannot believe that 150lbs is the right torque spec for our wheels.

I come from high performance BMW's (88 ft/lbs) and a Tesla (129 ft/lbs), so reading and applying 150 ft/lbs seems awefully dangerous and unbelievable.

When I pulled the wheels off, I bet there wasn't 90 ft/lbs of torque applied to any lug, so is the manual wrong?
Excuse me but, hell yes. And check them regularly if you performance drive the car, they can loosen. And yes, a new torque wrench that doesn’t max out at 150 ft lbs. (like most cheapo’s do) is a good idea. Engineers aren’t wrong on this one. In fact I think they got a lot right on this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did 120, just don’t trust the stock 2 piece lug nuts. Will be replacing and try 150 then.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did 120, just don’t trust the stock 2 piece lug nuts. Will be replacing and try 150 then.
I am all about replacing them, but in the mean time use a 13/16" socket and never an impact wrench and they'll be just fine for quite a long time. IMO, low threat, and certainly not a reason to avoid torquing to spec.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lugs

This is the car that I drove at Track Attack
If I zoom into the right front wheel you can see the lug bolts have been replaced with really long & beefy lugs.
I noticed it when I was standing next to the car and didn't get a chance to ask about it but I just assumed it's because they are replacing tires constantly and the longer bolts make it easier taking the wheel on/off..? and stronger I'm guessing as well.
I just noticed..no center caps either :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do 140 for daily pounding, but 150 for the track. I tossed the OE nuts 2 years ago and we rock the one piece Gorilla nuts now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I do 140 for daily pounding, but 150 for the track. I tossed the OE nuts 2 years ago and we rock the one piece Gorilla nuts now.
I replaced my lug nuts with the one-piece Gorillas too, and torqued them to 150. The OEM nuts look pretty flimsy compared to the appropriately-named Gorillas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts