Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a whole ago almost a year i asked about an intermittent issue with the car not wanting to start randomly. Seemed at the time no one really had this issue. About a month has gone by since the last visit to Ford and overall about 2k later issue seems to be resolved. In short and in order of how my repairs played out. New battery since oem original had a bad cell this however didn't fix it. Next was the alternator since Ford claimed the original was starting to go bad, as you guess, didn't fix it. Gave it back and said fucking find the issue and call me before replacing anything fully and charging me. 2 week's later i get the call. New starter and so far no issues after repeatedly attempting to reenact it. Gave the guy the guy the go ahead to take it out and get her hot for a choke test tries to see if being at operating temp did anything. Get a call it's good to go. So far this issue seems resolved. Heard someone else had a similar issue but was just a loose wire on the starter. If you have this issue, check the starter first. 2016 convenience pack with creeping in on 30k miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, new to the forum, but I joined as this is the exact issue I was going to ask about. My 2016 GT350 (convenience package avalanche gray) only has about 1500 miles on it (purchased with 300 miles "used"). So far I absolutely love the car, but about once every two weeks it will randomly not start. The car will crank over but no dice. I cannot figure out a pattern for when this happens. The car can be 12 hours cold or parked ten minutes ago. Then if I let the car sit 1-2 days after the problem occurs then it resolves itself. The first time it happened I took it to ford, and it sounds like the same things as you they replaced the battery because of a bad cell. They sent the car home with me as a check engine light never came on, and then about two weeks later the problem happened again. Everytime it has happened since I take it to ford then they cannot recreate the problem...does my problem sound a lot like yours? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there, new to the forum, but I joined as this is the exact issue I was going to ask about. My 2016 GT350 (convenience package avalanche gray) only has about 1500 miles on it (purchased with 300 miles "used"). So far I absolutely love the car, but about once every two weeks it will randomly not start. The car will crank over but no dice. I cannot figure out a pattern for when this happens. The car can be 12 hours cold or parked ten minutes ago. Then if I let the car sit 1-2 days after the problem occurs then it resolves itself. The first time it happened I took it to ford, and it sounds like the same things as you they replaced the battery because of a bad cell. They sent the car home with me as a check engine light never came on, and then about two weeks later the problem happened again. Everytime it has happened since I take it to ford then they cannot recreate the problem...does my problem sound a lot like yours? Thanks!
Sounds like mine, it started with the battery fix, then the alternator then the starter. It was a result of one of the connection wires is "U" connection from my understanding instead of an "O" where it wouldn't be able to rattle loose. Sorry been rather busy with life and on the road driving. Since the fix car has been flawless and even went to a track day without any issues. 2 hour drive 1 way and the track event itself and it would've tossed that wire loose easily with the track set up. So get that looked into.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issue. I will have to look at the service report to see what they diagnosed to be the problem. It was a challenge and was at the dealer for almost 2 months.
Mine was at the Ford dealer nearby and i had a guy i was in touch with the full 2 weeks it was in because they tried, and the same day i got it back it did it again, dragged it back to the dealer, left it running and had them come out and we rolled the call back some, turned it off while a mechanic was out there, went to turn it on and car gave me the finger. Like i said to the other guy, mine was a result from a connection of a wire to the starter but it originally stated the troubleshooting as a bad battery, then the alternator was showing it wasn't in the greatest shape and then the starter got discovered. Have them check the starter and it's connections. Again sorry i was gone so long, got busy with work and life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you say you were at the track with a 2016 gt350 tech pack with no tranny cooler or differential cooler and experienced 0 issues at the track? out of curiosity, how many laps, any breaks in between laps or sessions, how long was the session, and many thanks ahead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you say you were at the track with a 2016 gt350 tech pack with no tranny cooler or differential cooler and experienced 0 issues at the track? out of curiosity, how many laps, any breaks in between laps or sessions, how long was the session, and many thanks ahead.
Not a really big track like you might be thinking, this track at my best took about 42 seconds to complete, never left 2nd gear once i got in it, traction control off and in sport mode. Was a very harsh throwing back and forth in my size car though, it really shows it's weight but it handles it well. 2016 tech pack without the extras stuff correct. 130 miles driving the car there, i managed to get 3 runs before we had to call it due to rain and drive 130 miles back after having it on the track. Breaks between your rubs depended on the section. I had about 10 cars in my group so it got a good cool down but not a long one. Car has about 30k on it. Let me go find a link to that day, i know a guy that runs it in 30s and it's on a heavily modified car so it'll do the track justice. Link is to the same day i raced, that's an S2000 so you could imagine the size difference we are talking about here and he's cut a lot of weight from that car.

https://youtu.be/34TYBndu65Y

·
Registered
152 Posts
'My 2016 GT350 (convenience package avalanche gray)'

Wut? There was no convenience package. They made a base model, a tech package, and a track package.

I have the tech package.

·
Registered
2016 Shelby GT350
1 Posts
Mine was at the Ford dealer nearby and i had a guy i was in touch with the full 2 weeks it was in because they tried, and the same day i got it back it did it again, dragged it back to the dealer, left it running and had them come out and we rolled the call back some, turned it off while a mechanic was out there, went to turn it on and car gave me the finger. Like i said to the other guy, mine was a result from a connection of a wire to the starter but it originally stated the troubleshooting as a bad battery, then the alternator was showing it wasn't in the greatest shape and then the starter got discovered. Have them check the starter and it's connections. Again sorry i was gone so long, got busy with work and life.
So I am having a very similar issue I have a 2016 Shelby GT350 with 6500 miles, never modified, mint....sometimes is starts but rarely, so I took it to a Ford Performance dealership. They had it for like 3 weeks, they replaced the PCM, power control module. I drove it 2 times, and after a trip to meet a friend for lunch, no go, so it went back to the dealer. They replaced the control module for the fuel pump, they said all is good, I went to pick it up, the service guy tried to start it and no go. Then they worked on it for another week, said it started, I went to pick it up and they guy started it. I drove it home, parked it, and tried to start it again, once again no go. The next morning after cooling off, it started. So WTF is going on. Should I check the starter, wires, should I put a heat shield around it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts