Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

5K miles on my 2017 GT350...the car is incredibly fun to drive, but I'm getting tired of trips to my local Ford house.

Trip 1 - Slow leak in RR tire.

Trip 2 - Same slow leak in RR tire.

Trip 3 - Breather tube keeps popping out of valve cover.

Trip 4 - Same slow leak in RR tire (finally fixed).

Trip 5 - Decklid stripes bubbling up and peeling.

Trip 6 - Rear bumper gap.

Also, I guess I'm going to sell my leather GT seats with power and intact bags, because there appears to be no consistency in the online reports of what it takes to install these things instead of Recaros. There are several reports of them "plugging in" or "only needing 12V added" but mine trigger an airbag light no matter what I do. I cannot waste any more time on the project, I work too many hours.

So, as much as I love this motor and trans and diff and body style...I am actually considering trading it for something else. Thinking about an M4 or a CTS-V. Thoughts?

Also, I'm starting to be annoyed at Ford concerning the programming of the electronics in this car. They produced a budget supercar which takes a pretty sizable income to afford, but they programmed it for 16 year olds...I have electronic exhaust valves, but I cannot actually select a quiet mode? WTF? The fact that the valves open at 1/3 throttle no matter what is just asinine. Sure, that's a fun mode...but add one more for the 5 speed traps I have to pass on my way to work. Dammit, Ford.

So, yeah, I may be jumping ship.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Then go. Why ask us? I’ve had two last gen CTSV, great cars but heavy and don’t handle as well as the 350. Plus latest ones are auto tranny only. I’ll never drive any M car due to the d bag bros that drive them. Take it to Carmax tomorrow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also, I'm starting to be annoyed at Ford concerning the programming of the electronics in this car. They produced a budget supercar which takes a pretty sizable income to afford, but they programmed it for 16 year olds...I have electronic exhaust valves, but I cannot actually select a quiet mode? WTF? The fact that the valves open at 1/3 throttle no matter what is just asinine. Sure, that's a fun mode...but add one more for the 5 speed traps I have to pass on my way to work. Dammit, Ford.

So, yeah, I may be jumping ship.
If the valves open at 1/3 throttle there must be a reason they programmed it that way or you must have a heavy foot. Let's forget the heavy foot comment but let's discuss why it has to open at 1/3. They probably figured it was best for the engine. Have you considered the Tesla? That may suit you better as it's quiet 100% of the time. I'm confused how the speed traps are relevant to the conversation or if you're throwing it in there as sarcasm. Either way, you were given obstacles; face them or move on.

I will end with one note and that is that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BMW M cars, here in DC they are D-Bags, its jut the way it is.
I've owned several M cars and some of those folks are interesting. :)

I just sold my M4 and it wasn't any better than my '18, just different. If the OP doesn't like the electronics on the Mustang, he sure will not like the I-drive.

The mistake the OP made about his leaking tire was not taking it to Discount Tire. ROFL.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm glad you pointed it out that he was taking it to ford who aren't tire experts.... however, Ford should be able to figure it out but not as quickly as Discount Tire. Then again, I can't tell if that was sarcasm but DT actually is pretty good. It's literally what they do all day. Their TIRE EXPERTS and nothing else. I'd have no issues bringing my GT 350 in granted, I'd want to pull the car in although it's not going more than 20 ft into the stall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
just have to say with the exception of the sagging bumper which the local dealer took care of I've had zero issues. Just love this car and pretty much anyone that gets near it does also..... Only one thing better than a F250 and its sitting right next to it.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seems like you just got a slight lemon man with very slight problems, no biggie. Sell it and get another model year. 2018 or 2019. Make sure your get the seats you want in this model. I got the leather heated /cooled seats. As much as I love my new gt350 the recaro's would of been a deal breaker for me, so thank God for the other seat option. I do like the looks of them however I find them disgustingly uncomfortable after about 10 minutes of driving, and I'm not a big dude (5'10'' at 165)...not sure how big dudes rock those seats.
Very thankful leather was an option... IMO with these seats and the options the car offers it's the perfect blend.

Beamers are cool but not much different looking from any other luxury sedan or coupé in my opinion (in other words boring ...).. And you definitely won't get the driving experience you get in the 350, even with a M car.
Good luck...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since I have much experience on this subject (and apparently too much time), I’ll give you my thoughts.

The M4 is fine but you have to buy the competition package or the car isn’t worth while. Stick or auto, your choice. More low-end torque, but engine “note” sounds like it is grinding up bolts compared to the nice muscle car wail of the 8250 rpm redline. Turn-in is sharp but you have to apply throttle and use the rear diff to help rotate the car or it understeers a bit. The GT350 just sticks and rotates, although neither have much feedback. Electronics are good, stereo much better than GT350.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. An M3 with a better chassis and steering feel/feedback. Boost comes in about 700 RPMs higher than M3, so it drives a little more boosted around town, but it is deceptively fast and handles almost like a mid-engined car. I didn’t believe the reviews and Car of the Year accolades until I drove it myself several hundred miles. My new favorite all-rounder.

Cadillac. The ATS-V has the driver’s car chassis. The CTS-V would be ok, except it is ~400 lbs heavier than the Giulia and ~600lbs heavier than the M4, and it feels like it. With good engineering a heavier car doesn’t have to feel that way, just like the Giulia feels lighter than the M4. Also, the wheelbase is longer than the M4 and Giulia, which adds to the heavy, large-car feeling. If you are frustrated by electronics and quality bull****, I would skip Cadillac.

Lexus. RC F is a cool car if you like the look. Sounds great. A little slow compared to the GT350 and especially all of the previously mentioned cars since it is NA. Auto only. It’s a decent box but definitely not a manual. Chassis is decent and handles well for what it is, but it also is a heavy car at ~4000 lbs. GS F is supposed to be the better car in the lineup, but I haven’t driven one. LC 500 is really a sporting GT car, but man is it beautiful and cool. Sounds incredible, not very fast, interior like none other, one of the best sounding stereos I’ve heard, not many on the road so cool factor is high.

Corvette. If you don’t need rear seats and want a manual sports car with a removable targa top (or vert), nice stereo, good ride, plenty of power, great exhaust note and killer looks, this is it. A front-engined Ferrari for 300K less. The Grand Sport is the sweet spot in the lineup.

Mercedes. Toward the other side of the luxury/sport continuum, so not my cup of tea. No personal experience, but I’m sure they’re fine.

Audi. Probably looking at the RS5. Probably nice, but haven’t driven one.

Porsche. A lot to be said here. They arguably make the best sports car on the planet, but they know it, and so the price of entry for a reasonably spec’d Cayman S is ~80K, a GTS ~90K plus, and for a 911 >100K. Let me know if it’s on your radar, and I’ll give you my opinion.

Tesla. P100D with ludicrous. Now also ludicrously expensive at 150K. I love the giant iPad in the dash, interior build quality has improved over the years, 0-60 feels the same as a 911 Turbo S with launch control. However, no sound is a complete deal breaker for me, and so after doing the party trick launch many times it starts to lose meaning and emotion with no sound.

Ford. As HELLFIRE already mentioned, maybe just get another GT350. I can tell you that the rawness of the exhaust note can’t be matched by any of these other cars. And, you’ll be driving one of the last of a dying breed. I had an epiphany while driving one of these other boosted cars. Over the next 3-5 years we are going to see these naturally-aspirated cars phased out in favor of (mostly) turbos or hybrid drivetrains to help meet emissions and fuel economy standards, and they just don’t drive the same. And even as the dynamics get closer to the NA experience with hybrid assist or electric turbos, they will never sound like these NA engines. Remember how Ferrari’s used to sound? Go listen to a 488. If Ferrari can’t get it right, we are screwed. So, whatever you decide, make it a good choice. Get good electronics, quiet mode, reliability...just make sure several years from now you are not wishing you still had that loud exhaust and those uncomfortable seats, cause this may be one of your last chances. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I almost a got a V8 RS5 a few months ago. Found a nice black one with the updated seats, stereo, and exhaust. Great car and the DSG was really fast! But its not a sports car, its a luxury GT cruiser. It would be a nice compliment to the GT350. If I retire next summer and move to MN, I will need a AWD car, perhaps I will pic one up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tesla. P100D with ludicrous. Now also ludicrously expensive at 150K. I love the giant iPad in the dash, interior build quality has improved over the years, 0-60 feels the same as a 911 Turbo S with launch control. However, no sound is a complete deal breaker for me, and so after doing the party trick launch many times it starts to lose meaning and emotion with no sound.
Just so you're aware, there is actually an app that enables the "engine" sound to whatever you want it to be.

https://insideevs.com/app-tesla-model-s-sounds-like-muscle-car/

This was a comment that was actually made to me from a Tesla owner after I told them one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Tesla was because it didn't have an engine noise and it would have put me to sleep. lol. Anyways, I'm still satisfied with my GT350 purchase. No looking back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exactly. A great compliment to an incredible muscle car / sports car. None of the usual car choices can match the visceral nature of the GT350. Very happy with mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LMAO! If that’s their honest reply, then there can be no conversation to get them to your point of view. The merits of a car like the GT350 speak for themselves. It’s a very visceral/emotional driving experience, almost primal. You either drive it and say, “yes, I need this in my life” or “meh”. If you’re in the “meh” crowd, that’s fine, it just doesn’t speak to you on that level. I have a friend that bought a Porsche and after a year of ownership I asked him randomly during a conversation, purely out of curiosity, how often he drove the car in sport vs regular and sport plus modes. He stared at me blankly and then asked, “what is sport mode”. Correct, he had never used it nor did he know what the button did. Clearly he didn’t need the capabilities of the car he had, and would never buy a GT350. (I know cause I took him for a ride one night and he got a ride back from someone else cause he wasn’t sure he could handle the G forces). Everyone gravitates toward what speaks to them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just so you're aware, there is actually an app that enables the "engine" sound to whatever you want it to be.

https://insideevs.com/app-tesla-model-s-sounds-like-muscle-car/

This was a comment that was actually made to me from a Tesla owner after I told them one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Tesla was because it didn't have an engine noise and it would have put me to sleep. lol. Anyways, I'm still satisfied with my GT350 purchase. No looking back!
I thought of this when the first Tesla year model came out and my buddy was one of the first to get one. They owe me royalties.
Still remember to this day test driving his car a few year back now I guess it would of been saying how I liked the car and how impressed I was with it's off the line acceleration but how I could never own one cause of the zero sound. That and it's just another boring sedan to me. I said it would be awesome if there was a feature where you can pick the exhaust note. Fast forward to this thread and now it has been brought to my attention there is such a thing. Them SOB's owe me my money... Lol lol

Still would never want a go green, granola eating Tesla, haha.. That and there is only one sedan, thats the hellcat!
🙂
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Hood

·
Registered
123 Posts
Porsches are fun, but over priced. I've had two of them. Most of them never really get driven much or very hard (new ones). Its just a thing to have. i have no interest in a Tesla, a few times I've had them...try....to follow me on a backroad, only to see them a bit off in the grass or in the gravel and the wife smacking hubby's head. Bet Hubby got froze out that night.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Porsches are fun, but over priced. I've had two of them. Most of them never really get driven much or very hard (new ones). Its just a thing to have. i have no interest in a Tesla, a few times I've had them...try....to follow me on a backroad, only to see them a bit off in the grass or in the gravel and the wife smacking hubby's head. Bet Hubby got froze out that night.
😂 😂

1 - 20 of 27 Posts