Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well two consumption tests at dealer show it using 4 quarts in 500 miles. It’s a 2018 bought in May and has 8550 miles on it. No tracking just backroad fun and 110 highway cruising. No mods and always used Motocraft oil. Debating a buyback now, or get new motor and get rid of it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well two consumption tests at dealer show it using 4 quarts in 500 miles. It’s a 2018 bought in May and has 8550 miles on it. No tracking just backroad fun and 110 highway cruising. No mods and always used Motocraft oil. Debating a buyback now, or get new motor and get rid of it.
Wow, sorry to hear that, bad news for sure! Do they know why it's using oil or just that it is. If it were me, I'd talk to Ford about the buyback process and likely go that route (depending on how long it takes and if Ford is going to fight you or take dealer's word for it and just do the right thing). I'd imagine you'd have to disclose the engine replacement, and that would likely decrease your resale value. JMO, but if I were in the market for a used GT350, I'd not be interested in one with a new engine. Engine replacement will be a part of the cars warranty record on OASIS...Good luck, really sorry to hear that, just getting over knee joint surgery and finally able to drive the GT350 again and it is one sweet ride...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was bought in Va, so I have to let them fix it before a buyback can be forced. I can ask for one now I suppose. It had the bores scoped, compression test, and leak down tests and all thst came back normal. Ford must know what the problem is by now, but they are not talking.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It was bought in Va, so I have to let them fix it before a buyback can be forced. I can ask for one now I suppose. It had the bores scoped, compression test, and leak down tests and all thst came back normal. Ford must know what the problem is by now, but they are not talking.
Wow, sounds like they did a comprehensive check, are you running an oil separator and if so, is the oil collecting in it anything abnormal? Shouldn't be (based on the above tests)... I have the JLT oil separator (passenger side) and get about .5 - 1.0 oz every 5K miles...bummer for sure! Please keep us updated as you work through this...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Minimal amounts in them. I hope I don’t have to wait till 10k miles for new motor. It’s not going to get better.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Perplexing for sure, if it's not getting past the rings, nor leaking anywhere, where else could it be going? Not sure how the valve seals work in the Voodoo, but are you noticing more than normal smoke or oily deposits out the tailpipes?

Good luck, feel for ya!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I’m an engineer and I’ve worked on many types of systems to find and solve interference to weather, satellite, ATC and other multi million dollar systems. We eliminate the obvious ones first and determine what’s possible or not. I have no oil leaks and my tests showed no borescoring, no oil on top of pistons, passed leakdown and compression tests. All that shows when it’s not hot, it’s all in spec. The oil is not leaking out, it’s getting into the cylinders and getting burned up. Only way for the that to happen is getting by the rings or the valve stem seals in the cylinder head. I very much doubt it’s a head gasket. I think when it’s running and warm the tolerances get bigger between the valve stem seals and the guides. One is steel and the other is typically a bronze alloy. They expand at different rates when hot. When that happens oil leaks by. I suppose it might also be the oil ring. Usually you have a oil ring and two compression rings on pistons, and if the oil ring is bad or the tolerance is loose, oil gets by and gets into the combustion chamber. Ford does not make any of these items, somebody makes it for them to some spec....for a size and material composition. Something is off. Now these are hand assembled engines but I’m guessibg they get the parts in and then put it together. So the Ford assemblers are not checking these things. They are assuming it being made with tolerant parts. I’m on furlough so I’ve got time to think about all kinds of things.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I’m an engineer and I’ve worked on many types of systems to find and solve interference to weather, satellite, ATC and other multi million dollar systems. We eliminate the obvious ones first and determine what’s possible or not. I have no oil leaks and my tests showed no borescoring, no oil on top of pistons, passed leakdown and compression tests. All that shows when it’s not hot, it’s all in spec. The oil is not leaking out, it’s getting into the cylinders and getting burned up. Only way for the that to happen is getting by the rings or the valve stem seals in the cylinder head. I very much doubt it’s a head gasket. I think when it’s running and warm the tolerances get bigger between the valve stem seals and the guides. One is steel and the other is typically a bronze alloy. They expand at different rates when hot. When that happens oil leaks by. I suppose it might also be the oil ring. Usually you have a oil ring and two compression rings on pistons, and if the oil ring is bad or the tolerance is loose, oil gets by and gets into the combustion chamber. Ford does not make any of these items, somebody makes it for them to some spec....for a size and material composition. Something is off. Now these are hand assembled engines but I’m guessibg they get the parts in and then put it together. So the Ford assemblers are not checking these things. They are assuming it being made with tolerant parts. I’m on furlough so I’ve got time to think about all kinds of things.
I think you make a great point about Ford receiving parts and not inspecting them. I too am an engineer...rotating equipment specifically. It is not uncommon for parts from the factory to come out of tolerance. We try to check what we receive when we can. You would think in this case Ford would make them mic everything they get before putting the engine together, but I doubt it. Even my own milwrights will skimp on it if they can get away with it. Best of luck in the process.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I’ve not heard back from my dealer yet. So I’ll call her tomorrow and get an update. My concern in that a second motor could go bad. Given that they won’t make them after next year, what will happen if my second motor or others have problems and they don’t have any left to send out?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have a 5yr. 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I'm sure they have a lot of the voodoos around but even so if a problem and still under powertrain warranty that will be Fords problem and they have to make it right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m sure they will. My concern is them having enough motors on hand for replacements in the future. But maybe the new ones have fixed the problem. For the second motor I’m giving it the Italian break in, not the Ford one. I used to race WERA and CCS motorcycles long ago, and we would get new bikes and run the snot out of them out of the box on a race weekend and none of them ever had a problem with oil usage. So the second motor is going to be flogged bit more then switched to Amsoil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As one who has had their motor replaced by ford I can say my second engine doesn't seem to be burning oil,
But I have been back in four more times with leaking oil pan gaskets and the variable timing rod replacement and now with a leaking gasket by the oil filter? I don't know what is going on anymore, really they seem to be incompetent.

So my advice is to make sure they replace the variable timing rods or what ever they are called. Because you only get a short block as your replacement, not the entire engine.

Also everytime they need parts, they are back ordered for a couple of weeks at least, which sucks even more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
Well it’s been a week and day since it was confirmed I was using a quart every 125 miles and I’ve heard nothing from the dealer. I’ll call them again Friday and drive over and see them and talk to the service manager. I’m sort of stuck with it till it’s new motor. If I dump it at carmax as is, I’d probably be in legal trouble as Carmax makes you sign forms saying you are disclosing any known defects when you sell to them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A new from Ford Voodoo lists for ~$25,000, I had one replaced under warranty. Assuming your warranty is in effect, get a new engine and keep the car. I'm sure Ford is tired of replacing one of the most expensive domestic engines on the road. It took 5 weeks to get my blowed up Voodoo replaced (oil pump gear failure to full seizure in an instant). Contact your local Ford District Service Manager in the loop IMMEDIATELY, they can expedite the replacement engine and get you a loaner. My engine was a boat anchor, no local dealer rebuild available, I'd fight hard for a new bullet direct from Ford, not allowing the dealer to rebuild locally. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ford does not make any of these items, somebody makes it for them to some spec....for a size and material composition. Something is off. Now these are hand assembled engines but I’m guessing they get the parts in and then put it together. So the Ford assemblers are not checking these things. They are assuming it being made with tolerant parts. I’m on furlough so I’ve got time to think about all kinds of things.
Me thinks you are 100% spot on. 😊 Porsche on the other hand...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts