Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I appreciate the video and please don't take my suggestions or questions the wrong way but soley a way to educate myself or save you time in the future.
1) I noticed you used an air compressor along with the paint brush to clean the wheel from brake dust.
My thoughts: Was it really necessary to do that? I would have gone straight to the waterless wash and the microfiber cloth. I'd use the brush but my car does get wet and collects dirt on the wheels.

2) I noticed while you were cleaning the calipers with the waterless watch you were avoiding the rotors.
My thoughts: Why was it necessary to avoid the rotors. They can get wet correct? All of my detailing experience have been from watching Junkman2000 on YouTube and I don't believe he ever has removed the wheel to detail the wheels on his corvette. On my other vehicle, I've waterless washed the wheels and sprayed it directly where the rotors could get contact and had no issues with braking.

I thought it was interesting to see that the rotors actually can be rotated. Do they rotate with the wheel when it's moving? I thought it was always standstill. I appreciate your time in making the video. I will not change my methods primarily because I don't have those tools nor the space to fit an air compressor and jack.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I noticed you used an air compressor along with the paint brush to clean the wheel from brake dust.
Was it really necessary to do that? I would have gone straight to the waterless wash and the microfiber cloth.

2) I noticed while you were cleaning the calipers with the waterless watch you were avoiding the rotors.
My thoughts: Why was it necessary to avoid the rotors. They can get wet correct?
yeah no worries, ideas always welcome.
1) necessary? No, but it's a bit more thorough getting as much of the dust and dirt blown off before applying liquid, especially in the corner areas.
2) I'm sure they'd be fine if you didn't care if they got wet, but I do, my car never see water, I don't want to introduce any of the rotor areas to moisture if I don't have to. There's no reason to spray them down but if you do be sure to blast them out with an air compressor thoroughly.

There's no "right" way to clean your wheels but this is the way I do it and it may help someone who doesn't have any idea which direction to go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I liked the entire process racer172 showed on the video he created. I wish my car didn't see rain, but it is a daily driver. I like the brush technique. That will help me when car is clean and I am just trying to get rid of brake dust.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Every 2 weeks, Wheels come off and I use a sponge with car soap. (Old fashion) Gotta be done.

·
Registered
82 Posts
racer172...I'm grateful you took the time to produce the "how-to" video. Nice work, very thorough and clever methodology! I especially liked the tips about (1)the plastic coated socket; (2)the waterless washer brand; (3) the tire dressing brand. I had always used an air compressor but never considered the paint brush trick. Would suggest a respirator mask too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So someone asked me to make a video showing my method for cleaning the wheels, so I did.
Thought I would share, might be useful to someone out there..
video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4MoTMguoY&feature=youtu.be
Love this video, thanks for the post. I've been using brushes and compressed air since I got my car, they are ceramic coated as well...my gripe is all that work and 5-10 miles down the road the dust has returned :( When I went to the show I had to sit on the ground and use ceramic safe detail spray and a towel. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
"I thought it was interesting to see that the rotors actually can be rotated. Do they rotate with the wheel when it's moving? I thought it was always standstill......."[/QUOTE]

The rotors definitely turn with the wheel. Until the calipers clamp down and stop them. Just FYI , NoXiDe.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my gripe is all that work and 5-10 miles down the road the dust has returned
I know! sometimes after I've detailed the wheels I'll drive really sloooow so I'm light on the brakes just to keep the wheels clean longer.
well that slow driving usually doesn't last very long :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the link, x1000. Just commented on your YouTube channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts