Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently on the search to buy my first GT350, been doing a nationwide search, I'm aware prices are VERY inflated right now (25-30% over true market value/TMV) but I'm willing to pay a little above TMV in order to secure one of these beasts before prices really skyrocket and supply becomes scarce.

Here is my conundrum, I've had a hard time finding GT350s that are reasonably priced even with inflation. I'm seeing 2017 GT350s with higher than average mileage (30K+ miles) going for $55K+. I've located some sub $50K GT350s, namely one in TX BUT it has 74K miles on the ODO.

Mechanically the vehicle checks out, has stayed in the Houston, TX area its whole life, been serviced only at Ford dealerships, and sold/bought through Ford dealerships. Everything indicates it was taken care of, serviced regularly and thoroughly, BUT it's prices right below $49K. I've tried demonstrating to the dealership that their competitors are pricing GT350s with 30-40k less miles for around the same price if not $1-2K more ($51-52K). I've managed to talk them down to $48K flat, but they won't budge further and SWEAR the car is actually worth $54K and is already discounted....despite the 74K mileage.

My ask is, is this deal worth it? Again, the car is mechanically sound, interior and exterior looks to be in factory condition too (comes with heated/cooled comfort seats). I have a trade in and a down payment ready to go that would bring the price to about $27K after it's all said and done. Just want to get my money's worth and having a hard time finding an extended warranty provider for this vehicle as it's a MUST at this high mileage despite the car never having a single mechanical issue (no oil consumption, no engine replacement). Looking to negotiate starting prices no higher than $52K for a 2017 GT350 as that's already incredibly inflated (seeing some going for MSRP 2019 GT350 prices with low miles...insane).

Would it be worth it to wait until next year? Are things going to get worse in terms of GT350 supply and prices? Is this the absolute best time ti buy before mid-2023?

What would you do in my situation?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will tell you this, in July 2020, i bought a used 2018 with 2,700 miles for less than you're being offered right now.

Take a minute, consider that really hard, before you pay nearly that for a motor that is well beyond 1/2 life.

Reactions: AM350R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will tell you this, in July 2020, i bought a used 2018 with 2,700 miles for less than you're being offered right now.

Take a minute, consider that really hard, before you pay nearly that for a motor that is well beyond 1/2 life.
Gotcha, however; the market is not looking like it is going to get better until WELL into 2023. My concern is two fold:
  1. The prices of GT350s will continue to climb due to market willingness (prices people are paying inflated now) combined with scarcity (2020 last production year, people buying up little used inventory because they don't like the GT500 or because of ADM)
  2. Scarcity of used GT350 supply: I'm afraid all good examples of the car are going to be bought up by mid-2023 and then all that will be left are problem children with mechanical issues or still overpriced 2019/2020 models at best.
July 2020 was over a year ago and certainly before the market effects fo the chip shortage on new inventory generated the now used inventory squeeze and hyper-inflation. I've been searching for months and it seems the prices are averaging about $54K for used mid-mileage 2017/2018 GT350s and around $62-66K for 2019's. I don't see the prices getting better next year....

I think these engines are actually fairly reliable given it was broken in correctly, serviced regularly, and the driver pays attention to the oil level and pressure under load. I truly believe they are 200K mile vehicles easily, however; I think $48K for a 74K miles 2017 GT350 is high, even with the convenience/comfort package.

So far most dealers I've talked to just laugh in my face when I run the numbers of how over-inflated the values are on this car right now and tell me to go fly a kite if I want to debate price. Seems like it's a seller market and people like me are getting screwed with no end in sight...

Would love to see a sunrise out of this....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don’t think anyone would go out on a limb and say the voodoo is reliable. There are years of motors just letting go, and there is so little data to go off of before Ford discontinued the motor. You’re convincing yourself if you believe the there is enough data to substantiate that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t think anyone would go out on a limb and say the voodoo is reliable. There are years of motors just letting go, and there is so little data to go off of before Ford discontinued the motor. You’re convincing yourself if you believe the there is enough data to substantiate that.
Sure, fair point, but I think the underlying architectural components of the block lead me to believe it is not a wholly unreliable platform either, just like how the Coyote isn't as bulletproof reliable as many claimed initially, nothing is without weak points/faults.

I'm more concerned with dealer pricing around these cars as there's another GT350 with 68K miles and a dealer thinking $48K before TATV and fees is a "deal/discount" when in reality the vehicle is overvalued by $10K easily.

Personally, I think dealers are dreaming and sure, some will buy at these prices, but overall no one forced them into overvalued auction sales on performance vehicles, but what power as the consumer do we have to negotiate or pressure prices before mid to late 2023? We have used Gt350s with mid-mileage (20-35K) going for the MSRP of brand new GT350s from 2019/early 2020 (2018 used Gt350s averaging $65K in pricing). That seems ludicrous and downright greedy on the dealer's behalf.

Anyone have any luck negotiating with dealers on their GT350 and if so, how much were you able to talk them down? I feel that a 2-3K reduction in pricing is a reasonable request given I'm still overpaying for the real market value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 GT350 Race Red/White Stripes- Handling and tech packages, Recaros, Carbon Fiber IP
95 Posts
I was lucky enough to score my 2020 for MSRP in March of 2021. Late arrival.
I'm glad to see the pricing climb for my sake. But I feel for prospective used buyers.
If you really want one then keep searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was lucky enough to score my 2020 for MSRP in Mach of 2021. Late arrival.
I'm glad to see the pricing climb for my sake. But I feel for prospective used buyers.
If you really want one then keep searching.
I am going to continue searching. I figured this wasn't a good deal and it's an expensive PIA to find someone willing to provide an extended warranty to a GT350 with this many miles.

I already located a comparably priced GT350 with less than half the mileage, CPO, with existing manufacturer warranty and an extended warranty. Might not be the exact color I want but she still looks great, hopefully by this time next month I'll be joining you fellas on the road in my dream car :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently on the search to buy my first GT350, been doing a nationwide search, I'm aware prices are VERY inflated right now (25-30% over true market value/TMV) but I'm willing to pay a little above TMV in order to secure one of these beasts before prices really skyrocket and supply becomes scarce.

Here is my conundrum, I've had a hard time finding GT350s that are reasonably priced even with inflation. I'm seeing 2017 GT350s with higher than average mileage (30K+ miles) going for $55K+. I've located some sub $50K GT350s, namely one in TX BUT it has 74K miles on the ODO.

Mechanically the vehicle checks out, has stayed in the Houston, TX area its whole life, been serviced only at Ford dealerships, and sold/bought through Ford dealerships. Everything indicates it was taken care of, serviced regularly and thoroughly, BUT it's prices right below $49K. I've tried demonstrating to the dealership that their competitors are pricing GT350s with 30-40k less miles for around the same price if not $1-2K more ($51-52K). I've managed to talk them down to $48K flat, but they won't budge further and SWEAR the car is actually worth $54K and is already discounted....despite the 74K mileage.

My ask is, is this deal worth it? Again, the car is mechanically sound, interior and exterior looks to be in factory condition too (comes with heated/cooled comfort seats). I have a trade in and a down payment ready to go that would bring the price to about $27K after it's all said and done. Just want to get my money's worth and having a hard time finding an extended warranty provider for this vehicle as it's a MUST at this high mileage despite the car never having a single mechanical issue (no oil consumption, no engine replacement). Looking to negotiate starting prices no higher than $52K for a 2017 GT350 as that's already incredibly inflated (seeing some going for MSRP 2019 GT350 prices with low miles...insane).

Would it be worth it to wait until next year? Are things going to get worse in terms of GT350 supply and prices? Is this the absolute best time ti buy before mid-2023?

What would you do in my situation?
Be patient and wait for "your" car. I would not be comfortable with that kind of mileage (anything over 5K). But, then again, I just bought a 2017R with 1500 miles in May, had it certified for $600 for extra year which included an oil change too, then spent $1,800 on warranty till 2024 or 60K miles (which it will not see). I'm about lower mileage, and at least a year warranty for a piece of mind. Be patient and check out vin # at a local dealer for details on the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be patient and wait for "your" car. I would not be comfortable with that kind of mileage (anything over 5K). But, then again, I just bought a 2017R with 1500 miles in May, had it certified for $600 for extra year which included an oil change too, then spent $1,800 on warranty till 2024 or 60K miles (which it will not see). I'm about lower mileage, and at least a year warranty for a piece of mind. Be patient and check out vin # at a local dealer for details on the car. Good luck.
Thank you @AM350R much appreciated advice. I'm okay with what folks here consider "higher mileage" aka anything above 15K miles. The one I'm looking at currently still has it's powertrain warranty at just under 33K miles with 2 years left to spare. I'm definitely going to purchase an extended Ford warranty on at least the powertrain, might splurge for PremiumCare unless it's a total waste of money, but I'm also aware other components of the car are expensive to repair or replace (Magneride components, ECU, A/C, etc) so might be worth the total coverage.

I will continue looking but nothing in my projections shows a market slowdown until at least late 2022, likely Q1/early Q2 2023 where prices now will rise and stabilize. Great for current owners, SOL for folks like me looking to snag one of these beauties without paying the equivalent of sticker price for a new GT350 for a used one (hope that made sense). 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you @AM350R much appreciated advice. I'm okay with what folks here consider "higher mileage" aka anything above 15K miles. The one I'm looking at currently still has it's powertrain warranty at just under 33K miles with 2 years left to spare. I'm definitely going to purchase an extended Ford warranty on at least the powertrain, might splurge for PremiumCare unless it's a total waste of money, but I'm also aware other components of the car are expensive to repair or replace (Magneride components, ECU, A/C, etc) so might be worth the total coverage.

I will continue looking but nothing in my projections shows a market slowdown until at least late 2022, likely Q1/early Q2 2023 where prices now will rise and stabilize. Great for current owners, SOL for folks like me looking to snag one of these beauties without paying the equivalent of sticker price for a new GT350 for a used one (hope that made sense). 🤷‍♂️
Look at Bringatrailer.com. They have 2019 right now. If you don't care for Recaro's, may be a good car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts