Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have started my shopping for a gt350 and have come across a 2016 beauty. It has less than 2000 miles and is a Hennessy supercharged beast. My questions are as follows:
1) is an out the door price of $74,000 a decent number?
2) are there any significant pitfalls with the 2016?
3) does the fact that the car was purchased and modified by Hennessey Performance detract from the overall future collectability of a beautiful gt350?
Thank you for any guidance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be eyes wide open with a supercharger. The car, as a flat plane crank engine, was not designed by Ford to ever have one.

I would assume you have no Ford original warranty on the engine after that modification. I would see what warranty Hennessey provides.

I have no idea what that engine set up means for your clutch and transmission warranty. I would also assume that warranty may be in jeopardy also. You should be able to contact Ford and ask them that question also.

If you are willing to pay $74,000 for this set up, have you priced what it costs to buy a 2022 GT-500 for similar performance but get a new car under full factory Ford warranty? You might be looking at being in the $95k range or so and get a new car under warranty. I have not talked to my local Ford dealership for about 2 years on new GT-500 prices so I may be under the market prices. The other thing to consider is what questions will a person have that may want to buy this car from you later? Do you want to have them go through this decision process or would you be leveraging sell a 2022 (or 2021 model) GT-500 that you could order that get the colors you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hennessey is known for being a corner cutting, numbers only - reliability be damned, crap shop.

As said above, the design team said straight up front that the motor was not designed to support a supercharger. So add that together with 'Hennessey' and you're asking for problems.

Run...

Reactions: BierGut

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thank you all for the advice. I didn't know about the engine not being built to withstand a supercharger, especially in today's market of turbo and supercharged everything.
I kind of had my reservations of 850HP and what it would mean to the stock clutch and Trans. I was always under the impression that Henny was a very reputable company, I do know that this car was purchased new by Hennessey and modified and has their warranty, but for such a beautiful car I think that you're all 100% correct in your evaluations. Thank you again to all that took the time for your advice. I may just look at GT350R if I'm going to spend 75k on a car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A blown GT350 is a very fun machine - if you are not going to beat the snot out of it and live at 8250rpms you will be fine - I would ask if they updated the oil pump in 2016 as it was a weak point - I drove 25k on a blown 2018 - pulled the motor over the winter and swapped to a sleeved race 5.2 - no issues - drove from Omaha to Road America and to Shelbyfest in Missouri plus piles of events - no damage to the motor on dissemble - with the low miles - I would assume it wasn’t beat to death. It’s an extra amount of power that really is fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As others said. Hennessy makes fun cars, but pretty well known for poor workmanship. I've heard lately they have gotten more reliable, but I don't know anyone that owns one. I live 15 min from the Hennessy shop (just west of Houston), and I rarely see Hennessy anything here in Houston. We've done drag nights, track days, and hit all kinds of car shows. Not a single Hennessy vehicle.

Bottom line, I wouldn't drop nearly 80k on a car from them. Especially if they touched any internals.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all. I have started my shopping for a gt350 and have come across a 2016 beauty. It has less than 2000 miles and is a Hennessy supercharged beast. My questions are as follows:
1) is an out the door price of $74,000 a decent number?
2) are there any significant pitfalls with the 2016?
3) does the fact that the car was purchased and modified by Hennessey Performance detract from the overall future collectability of a beautiful gt350?
Thank you for any guidance.
I understand the Hennessy upgrade is outstanding, a friend of mine sent his 2020 Gt 350 there last year and it ended up with 868 HP. He loves it. That upgrade was about $20,000 so $74,000 is not a bad price if you like the modification. I don't know about issues with the 2016. I am sure some people would rather have the car with no modifications but others would love the addition.
Kenneth

·
Registered
57 Posts
You asked for other pitfalls of the 2016. The oil filter is known to unscrew itself. I don't know what the solution to that was.

If it's the convenience package, it doesn't have the trans, diff, and oil coolers. The car is well known to overheat at the track, and a lawsuit has been filed on that one. In fact I think Ford lost. If it has the track pack, it will have the coolers. You can look under hte rear of hte car to see if there is a cooler back there. If so, that is the diff cooler, and you have the track pack. Or someone installed it aftermarket (Which I would be wary of)

Being a 2016, it's already 6 years old. High performance cars do not age well if not maintained well.

The car will be collectible for the right buyer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts