Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I simply can't believe Ford put a $15 oil drain plug in a $25,000 engine. UPR now offers a billet aluminum replacement for the plastic piece ( UPR: 3025-01).
What say you, good upgrade or unnecessary?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Though it sounds cheap, I haven't heard of issues with the plastic one, so it could be unnecessary. On the other hand, for Peace of Mind, it might be a good investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPR: 3025-01
I'd stay away from that plug. Had it blow out of the pan and nearly cost me the motor, presumably due to the extra vibrations of the engine itself. This was after a couple of track days and several hard laps at Daytona, so clearly was seated properly at installation. It just doesn't have sufficient tension for the voodoo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I simply can't believe Ford put a $15 oil drain plug in a $25,000 engine. UPR now offers a billet aluminum replacement for the plastic piece ( UPR: 3025-01).
I went with the Ronin plug. I would post a picture but this forum isn't allowing me to add it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Considering the pan is also plastic, I'd rather have to replace a plug once in a while instead of having a metal plug that might damage the pan. I don't want the weak part of the system to be the pan, the plug is a much better weak point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m thinking about the thermal expansion and contraction of the metal plug versus the plastic, if both items are of similar material they should expand and contract at the same rate.If the plug fails

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with the Ronin plug. I would post a picture but this forum isn't allowing me to add it.
The Ronin plug is a permanent replacement that remains in the drain hole. It has a cover that is removed and a piece is the turned in the permanent plug that controls the flow rate of the oil coming out of the pan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had my plastic plug replaced at 3800 miles (2nd oil change ever) because it was weeping by when the engine was at temp. I would gladly buy a metal oil pan if someone offered one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd stay away from that plug. Had it blow out of the pan and nearly cost me the motor, presumably due to the extra vibrations of the engine itself. This was after a couple of track days and several hard laps at Daytona, so clearly was seated properly at installation. It just doesn't have sufficient tension for the voodoo.
Which plug, plastic or metal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stay away from which plug, plastic or metal and why?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts