1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !
im new here and am french from québec so
Excuse my english please!
Just bought a manual 2016 gt 350 with trackpack and 14 000km Last friday.
I have done 600km this week-end.
Im getting better in driving it : it’s good news
First I want to know if It’s ok for the car to do some accelaration 0-100 to test and show the car to all my friend one by one during sometimes about an hour or two ...
it will happen during the next few weeks because it’s new. And it stress me a bit.

Second: I want to know at what rpm it’s the best to shift in a 0-100 situation?
thank you

·
Registered
2020 GT350 (L0898) - Velocity Blue w/ no stripes, Recaros, carbon fiber IP
5 Posts
As long as all the drivetrain fluids are up to their proper operating temps, let 'er rip!

The big item to watch for is the engine oil temperature. After driving for about 10-15 minutes, it should be getting close to where it needs to be, which is around 190-210* F, depending on ambient air temperatures. If it's really hot outside, it may be higher, and if it's relatively cool out, say 65* F or less, it may be a tad lower than 190* F.

As far as what RPM to shift at: Peak power is made around 7500-7600 RPM and redline is at 8250, so just after the tach needle sweeps past 8000 is around when you'll want to shift without having to worry about the engine hitting the rev limiter.

Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as all the drivetrain fluids are up to their proper operating temps, let 'er rip!

The big item to watch for is the engine oil temperature. After driving for about 10-15 minutes, it should be getting close to where it needs to be, which is around 190-210* F, depending on ambient air temperatures. If it's really hot outside, it may be higher, and if it's relatively cool out, say 65* F or less, it may be a tad lower than 190* F.

As far as what RPM to shift at: Peak power is made around 7500-7600 RPM and redline is at 8250, so just after the tach needle sweeps past 8000 is around when you'll want to shift without having to worry about the engine hitting the rev limiter.

Enjoy the car!
Thx man ! Can’t wait to drive it tomorow !

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you've not taken the car up to 100 by yourself, your first time probably shouldn't be with others in the car. Which is what you imply when you say you don't know shift points.

But hey, you do you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've not taken the car up to 100 by yourself, your first time probably shouldn't be with others in the car. Which is what you imply when you say you don't know shift points.

But hey, you do you.
Hi ! I went to about 160 km/h once
This week-end by shifting between 5800 6500 rpm
Just wanted here infos to make sure i can go further.
And what is the best rpm...
my last manual car was in 2013 with a subaru legacy. I have a lot to learn ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ! I went to about 160 km/h once
This week-end by shifting between 5800 6500 rpm
Just wanted here infos to make sure i can go further.
And what is the best rpm...
my last manual car was in 2013 with a subaru legacy. I have a lot to learn ...
This car is definitely too hot for me ... i dont have de skill to give it what it deserve ... but i realized that only this week after ive bought it.
But to come back to manual driving and road feelings .... i think i have something in hand.
Don’t worry ill go slowly by taking experience ..
If u have advices and tips ill take them.
What should i do and what i shouldnt do.
Dont forget im in km/h

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
12 Posts
This car is definitely too hot for me ... i dont have de skill to give it what it deserve ... but i realized that only this week after ive bought it.
But to come back to manual driving and road feelings .... i think i have something in hand.
Dont forget im in km/h
Don't count yourself short. It's just that you're used to driving regular manual cars. When I first got mine, I drove it shifting like my F150 does, 1,500-2,000 rpm. Going higher just felt wrong at first, But you soon realize, this car wants craves high rpms. Now, normal, relaxed driving around town, I'm shifting at around 3,500-4,000 rpm, and barely getting past 3rd. Spririted driving at 6k+.
And I just did the GT350 track attack this past week. On the track, we're normally in the 7k rpm range, and in 3rd gear the whole time around the inner road course. Speeds between 40-80 mph. And once on the oval and straightaways, we'll shift to 4th briefly, still in the 7k-8k rpm range, hitting 120 mph. You immediately realize, that this car lives in the high rpm range, and is built for that. Now that I'm home, I drive it in the higher rpm range, even around town, with the exhaust wide open of course. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont forget im in km/h
If you can find a SCCA Autocross, or SCCA Drivers Edge course, spend the money and attend one. If you go the Autocross route, let them know you are new, and want an instructor. They will put someone in the car with you while you drive around the track, giving you tips and tricks, things to look out for, etc... The drivers edge course is similar, but down here, it's a two day course. The instructor will drive your car, show you what it can do, then let you do the same. Both courses, you will never leave second gear. It's an awesome way to test the limits of (most likely) yourself, and then once you max those out, the limits of your car. All while keeping speeds "down". Typically below 50 mph.

The nice thing is, if you spin out, you are on a track or a giant open parking lot, and there will be no damage except for your hurt ego. I highly recommend attending one of these, because you will be blown away by what your car can do. I started with a Focus ST, went to a Hellcat, and now am in a much more track focused GT350. I was blown away with what both the first two cars could do, and this weekend is my first autocross, and I am looking forward to the new limits of the GT350.

I apologize if my first post came across rude. There are way too many stories out there of people testing the limits of their cars before they know then own limits. Kevin Hart comes to mid, along with Paul Walker. While those two were perfectly capable of handling the cars they were in, they allowed inexperienced drivers behind the wheel, with fatal consequences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can find a SCCA Autocross, or SCCA Drivers Edge course, spend the money and attend one. If you go the Autocross route, let them know you are new, and want an instructor. They will put someone in the car with you while you drive around the track, giving you tips and tricks, things to look out for, etc... The drivers edge course is similar, but down here, it's a two day course. The instructor will drive your car, show you what it can do, then let you do the same. Both courses, you will never leave second gear. It's an awesome way to test the limits of (most likely) yourself, and then once you max those out, the limits of your car. All while keeping speeds "down". Typically below 50 mph.

The nice thing is, if you spin out, you are on a track or a giant open parking lot, and there will be no damage except for your hurt ego. I highly recommend attending one of these, because you will be blown away by what your car can do. I started with a Focus ST, went to a Hellcat, and now am in a much more track focused GT350. I was blown away with what both the first two cars could do, and this weekend is my first autocross, and I am looking forward to the new limits of the GT350.

I apologize if my first post came across rude. There are way too many stories out there of people testing the limits of their cars before they know then own limits. Kevin Hart comes to mid, along with Paul Walker. While those two were perfectly capable of handling the cars they were in, they allowed inexperienced drivers behind the wheel, with fatal consequences.
Nice ! Thx for all this
I will take a track experience with an instructor.
It’s called icar circuit in montreal.
It take place in the unafected airport mirabel !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice ! Thx for all this
I will take a track experience with an instructor.
It’s called icar circuit in montreal.
It take place in the unafected airport mirabel !
You will love it. It's tough to stretch your car's legs on the road (legally), and not put others in danger. But once you open up your car and realize the potential, your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

Oh and check the oil. Like every trip. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Lasek, welcome to the GT350 family! The more track time you can spend in your car the better you'll like it! As Wlto TX has said the car is really happy over 4000 rpm. If your fluid temps are up, don't be afraid to rev. And yeah, do regular fluid checks, especially engine oil! On the right track and with some experience, 230kph is easy. Work your way up and understand how your machine works at speed and under different track conditions. But most of all, have fun! Alle vite mon ami!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts