Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am just curious if any of you purchased the factory add-on car cover. Is it simply a dust cover or does it provide weather protection? My garage is not yet complete and my ride is sitting out in the weather which kills me. If you have recommendations for a weather cover please share.

Thanks!
Doc

·
Registered
247 Posts
My $0.02....I have it and love it. No, I would not use it outside. Main reason? I know you guys don't know me from Adam, but I would consider myself an above average detailer. I have that eye for perfect paint and finding and fixing defects and such. Detailing is my 'thing'. I've been using the cover for several months now and with all the on-and-off, I have yet to find any marring or light scratching from it. However, I would not risk it flapping in any kind of wind. While the material has been great and will keep dust and maybe even light rain off the surface, I don't think it would fare as well in a full time outdoor environment. Any constant flapping around and I think you would start to see some light marring/swirling/scratching of the paint. There are better covers available for full time outdoor duty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Agree the cover that comes with car works great as long as its either inside or in my case a carport. I used one on the 16 I had and now with the 17 I have and never any rubbing or scratching of paint. I do run a dustbuster over it every time before removing it so its not holding any grit when put back on even though that should be on the outside of cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not receive a cover... did the dealer supply it or did it come with the welcome kit?

I bought the CarsCover ultrashield black cover. Its fleeced lined and made to be outside (feels sturdy and like it would hold up well outside)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did not receive a cover... did the dealer supply it or did it come with the welcome kit?

I bought the CarsCover ultrashield black cover. Its fleeced lined and made to be outside (feels sturdy and like it would hold up well outside)
On my 2017 Canadian specification GT350, the car cover was listed on the window sticker under "Optional Equipment/Other" as "Full Veh Cov *Dlr-Instld-Accy", $475.00. So it was an option.

Tim

·
Registered
249 Posts
On both the 16 and the 17 I have now it was also listed as optional equipment but it was in a box in the trunk with both cars (of course was added to sticker price of car)

·
Registered
247 Posts
On my 2017 Canadian specification GT350, the car cover was listed on the window sticker under "Optional Equipment/Other" as "Full Veh Cov *Dlr-Instld-Accy", $475.00. So it was an option.

Tim
On both the 16 and the 17 I have now it was also listed as optional equipment but it was in a box in the trunk with both cars (of course was added to sticker price of car)
Yup! I think for some reason the option is added to the sticker during production but then the dealer has them and throws it in the back when it gets there.

Also, this factory cover is a CoverCraft. It's one of their normal covers they make for Ford for this car (stripes, etc). There's been more than one person on the forums that decided to forego the factory cover only to order a CoverCraft cover and end up with the same dang cover! Minus the bad ass stripes/labes obviously.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is a very well fitted cover and looks great. However, it will not keep the dust out. I live in a somewhat dirty environment, but the car stays in the garage. I decided to try out the cover after doing a full clean because it was going to sit for a few weeks. 3 weeks later I pulled the cover off only to find it dirtier than before I cleaned it weeks earlier - Not just around the lower areas but the roof, glass, hood, and trunk had an even layer. Frustrated to say the least - The cover hasn't come out of the trunk since. Just thought I'd share.

I'm glad to hear people are having luck with them though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Odd mine is in a carport so was my 16 before I got the 17 and I've never had dust collect under it. And yours being in a garage I would think would be even more less likely. My 17 is white/blue so obviously show dust less But my 16 was blue/black and it didn't show dust either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is a very well fitted cover and looks great. However, it will not keep the dust out. I live in a somewhat dirty environment, but the car stays in the garage. I decided to try out the cover after doing a full clean because it was going to sit for a few weeks. 3 weeks later I pulled the cover off only to find it dirtier than before I cleaned it weeks earlier - Not just around the lower areas but the roof, glass, hood, and trunk had an even layer. Frustrated to say the least - The cover hasn't come out of the trunk since. Just thought I'd share.

I'm glad to hear people are having luck with them though.
I’m thinking your self disclosed living in a dirty area is a factor and dust is blowing up from underneath. Has to be, because nothing is permeating through the cover. Certainly not that much dust/dirt. Surprising though, cause it does fit great and certainly snug around the bottom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Surprising though, cause it does fit great and certainly snug around the bottom"

That's what I had a hard time wrapping my head around - Pun intended :)

We'll see how the car capsule works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys, I am just curious if any of you purchased the factory add-on car cover. Is it simply a dust cover or does it provide weather protection? My garage is not yet complete and my ride is sitting out in the weather which kills me. If you have recommendations for a weather cover please share.

Thanks!
Doc
I have the cover. I tried it once. The GT350 badges incorporated into the cover are made of some hard plastic material. I personally will not use a cover that drags anything stiff like that over my car while putting it into position. It's sitting in it's bag unused. It might look cool but I'm not risking taking that thing on and off of my car. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Others have commented about the rough feel of the black stripes and badges. But all that I've read that have said that that even though that part feels rough its on the outside of the cover and the cover does not scuff the car what so ever because of that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What Johnny said. The material that composes the stripes that creates the stiff feeling material is 100% on the outside. The stripes and such are layered over the other material that creates the cover, such that all of the interior of the cover is the same material, even under the stripes and stiff area. The stiff feeling stripes are not against the paint. This has been mentioned several times and it’s completely unfounded. Trust me, if there were any negatives to this cover as anal and picky as I am about paint quality, I would NOT be using it. The threat to your paint from the stiff stripes is not even a remote risk. The wrinkly noise is more disturbing than anything, but trust me...all bark, no bite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car Cover the dealership gave me was just a dust cover, would have scratched my paint job. Threw it in the trash. I use a all weather cotton lined car cover that I have from my former GT 500, weather resistant and keeps my paint job scratch free.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Thanks!
Doc
Yeah my car lived under its factory cover for almost 6 moths till I made room. Good quality cover, pulled off when it rained.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mr .Kim you should have researched on forums about the cover before just throwing it away. You could have easily sold it and made some good money. You paid for it when you bought the car at least you could have gotten that amount back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Car Cover the dealership gave me was just a dust cover, would have scratched my paint job. Threw it in the trash. I use a all weather cotton lined car cover that I have from my former GT 500, weather resistant and keeps my paint job scratch free.
Mr .Kim you should have researched on forums about the cover before just throwing it away. You could have easily sold it and made some good money. You paid for it when you bought the car at least you could have gotten that amount back.
Based on his description, I'm tending to think he was not given the proper Shelby car cover that comes with the car as a sticker option. This cover is not just a dust cover and would not have scratched anyone's paint. They must have thrown in some locally acquired cover with the deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts