Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been noticing increasing sounds of clicking in my front wheels/tires. It initially was just the right front (at least the way it sounds in the car), but now is starting on the left front as well. It really does sound a lot like a small pebble/rock in the tire tread but every time I pull over to check; no rock, no nail, screw, or object in the tires. Very bizarre. Drive away and it is still there and I have checked numerous times. Another characteristic is that it sounds even with tire speed and rotation and greater/louder with harder/sharper with turning of the steering wheel. Furthermore, rather than a rock or nail sound, almost sounds like metal clicking much like the sound when you hear metal about to break/crack under pressure.

I plan to remove my wheels this weekend. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? Any clues, tips, or hints would be greatly appreciated. VIR happening in 2 months, so would like to get this resolved if it is an issue.

Please and thank you!
Dr. Vudu

~5k miles, 2017 GT350

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It sounds like mine is coming from the left front and only when turning right. It used to only do it after driving it awhile and only at certain speeds, but now even driving at slow speeds turning right. I'm hoping that I don't have to take it to the dealership, I would rather fix it myself warranty or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you mean this sound ?

[video=youtube_share;5mk3yT_icvU]https://youtu.be/5mk3yT_icvU[/video]
Thank goodness no!!! I would have gone straight to Ford with that issue. What is causing that issue? Loose lug bolts, brake pad not secured and positioned correctly?

The good news is that I took my wheels off today, not as heavy as everyone seems to complain about, as my new torque wrench arrived. I searched everywhere for something abnormal but to no avail, no abnormalities. This is good of course. Bled the brakes and replaced with high-end DOT-4 fluid, no air which was impressive after 5k miles. Typical inner tire wear secondary to negative camber and definitely no nail, screw, or rock in the tread. Replaced the wheels and torqued to 135 lbs which is greater than what they were before (yes, I know recommendations are 150lbs). Went for a drive and no more ticking. Odd. Could it have been lugs not torqued to spec?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do not know exactly what the problem is.
But there are dozens of people with the same problem !!! Many have this problem.
Unfortunately I'm in a dispute with the garage because they do not want to fix it on warranty (i live in Europe)
The tick noise will come again ... Aafter every a tire change, I did not hear anything for a while, then it comes again.

PLEASE, tell me what your garage has said. (Solution etc)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m avoiding the garage. I torqued my lugs to 140 lbs and haven’t heard it since. If you haven’t at least gotten your bolts torqued to spec, I would do that first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m fairly certain that what you are hearing are small movements of the free floating brake disk hub.

It is an unusual design that allows heat to escape quickly from the brake disk and not migrate to the wheel hub.

When it heats up and cools the spokes sometimes make a slight “, each in succession as the wheel turns.

Nothing to worry about! It’s actually one of the features that makes this a great track car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just checked mine after removing and cleaning/waxing wheels/hats/etc.. Came here to find out the correct lug torque. There is no way the lugs were tightened to 150 ft lbs from the factory. Easily removed all with a lug wrench. Now they are at 150 all around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts