Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was suprised when I read recently that the 350 is going to the wayside so that FP can focus on the flagship GT500. Personally, I think this will do two things (1) Help the existing gt350s keep their value a little longer than if they kept produicing them and (2) make Ford look silly for abandoning such a greta car in this, very reasonable, price range. 525+HP N/A car for a price tag with a $50k handle.

Anyways, just nursing an injury and thinking/typing out loud whhile shopoping for my 1st GT350 (previous cards include AMG, Camaro 1LE, Stage 2 BMW M6 Gran Coupe). Want to spend in the mid/upper 40k's for a 2016/17 with low mileage.

About sage advice from the peanut gallery regarding my upcoming purchase or the retirement of the model?

Cheers,
Thadius

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every Ford person I have spoken with feels if they 350 is produced it will take sales from the 500, although dealers are on Crack for the $$$ that are putting on their 500's. Also losing both the Bullitt and the 350 kinda opens the door for stronger sales of the newly introduced Mach 1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I LOVE the GT350 and plan on buying a used one this coming fall, so what I have to say is not sour grapes because I'm not an owner, or anything else to try and be a GT350 downer.

But, the new Mach1 with the handling pack will pretty darn close in performance to the GT350, without the image of reliability issues the Voodoo "seems" to have. The Mach1 gives up the Voodoo's amazing sound and 45hp, but gains close to that in torque, has bigger tires than the standard GT350. It shares the same transmission and rear "swing" has all of the GT350 oil coolers and adds all the updated electronics, and the availability of an automatic, which some of us older guys with bad knees might appreciate.

It will be interesting to see how the GT350 fairs when the Mach1 is out there, and where the Mach1 ends up price wise. I think the GT350 is an awesome car, and the GT350R always be the purist's road track Mustang model, but they keep adding gadgets, bells and whistles every year to justify the yearly price increases.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I LOVE the GT350 and bought one. Could not go on without the Voodoo and a manual transmission. It's lovely. Drove it today in some snow. Love it best on the track, but love it everywhere. Favorite car of the 30 or so that I've owned. Better than the Porsche 911 and 911 Turbos that I had. Better than the Trans Am, or the Alfa. Better than the BMWs or the Audis. Better than the Corvettes that I've borrowed and rented. Better than the Camaro with barn burning power and an Automatic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad I was able to implement my plan to find a specific GT350. 2019, very low miles, Kona Blue/white stripes, very good price. Not even a smudge on the car. With Ford shutting it down it will absolutely assist in maintaining value. Every aspect of the car is excellent, especially focused around the "Ferrari" engine. Only comparable engine will be in the forthcoming C8 Corvette Z06, but it won't be anywhere near the current pricing of 2019/20 GT350's, probably something like double, or most likely more than that in its first year or two due to similar popularity in its space as a result of its engine.

Longer term I think it will be a "lower level classic" since eventually there will be nothing but "horizontal elevators" on the streets. Don't care how fast they'll be, they'll still be boring - no smoke, fire, and exciting sounds. My prediction is based upon my experience:

a) 1965 GT350 - very, very early hand built one (Venice), SAAC Gold Concours, w/original NOS (unheard of) black wall tires very early cars were delivered with (not Blue Dots)
b) 1965 GT350 - later version (LAX), SAAC Gold Concours, in KONI's SEEMA booth
c) 1967 Corvette - roadster, black/black/red stinger, side pipe, 435 hp, concours restoration, won every award
d) 1969 Corvette - coupe, black/black, side pipe, L89 aluminum head 435 hp, 6,800 never restored

Also have a famous 1968 Corvette IMSA/Trans Am race car w/L88 engine. Amongst other successes, received the Coca Cola Award at Daytona in 1973 for achieving the top qualifying speed of 222 mph. A phenomenal accomplishment for a non-light, non-sophisticated car compared to today's race cars, many of which cannot get to 222 mph, even on the 3+ mile straight at Le Mans, including tube frame, Hilborn injected, thin body shell (sort of like a Funny Car body).

All cars are original everything. Never mind strongly recommending that my family buy a Cobra Daytona coupe in 1971 for $27,000. They thought I was an idiot when I predicted it would be worth a fortune. Add three zeros today.

Guess I can now go back to enjoying cars. Life is definitely too short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts