Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the Ford Performance oil separators (L & R) on their car? I'm thinking of adding both the left and right to mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have one on the drivers side and a JLT on the pass side. The JLT is easier to empty, the canister simply screws off. Very handy as the pass side fills much faster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Unless you run your car 100% on the track, you really only need the right side separator. If you install both you will find the left side collects no oil for a daily driver or occasional track car.
That is the way the PCV system connections work, a drivers side separator is a waste of money and unnecessary clutter under the hood.
The Ford separator is a nice addition, factory look and fairly easy to use. I use a brake bleeder to remove the oil. 4 screws and 30 seconds to clean it out about every 3000 - 4000 miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installed mine on passenger side only. As previously mentioned, unless you are logging a lot of very aggressive track time, driver's side is unnecessary. I went the JLT route as the install was incredible simple and removing caught oil is a snap. The Ford cans are not that "user friendly."

·
Registered
247 Posts
I concur with all of the above. Every video I've ever seen on a drivers oil can has been bone dry; and I do mean zero mist, film, nada...bone dry. I've seen the other cans, but you just can't beat the "it's supposed to be there" look of the Ford can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering about what kind of pain it would be to empty the FP separator. I have a JLT separator on the passenger side of my 2015 GT so that sounds like the way to go. Thank you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I like the look of the FP separator too, but it sure looks like a pain to empty. The JLT separator on the other hand look a tad odd but it's a snap to empty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The FP separator does look like it's supposed to be there and thanks to everyone who responded I've decided to put a separator on the passenger side only. Thank you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car will only see occasional track use, but it's not really a daily driver because my other two ponies have to get their turn. Sounds like the Ford separator on the passenger side is the way to go. I might trade out the JLT I have on my 2015 GT for a Ford separator. It does look much nicer. Thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, the Ford separator is the most complicated of the lot to drain, but “complicsted” is such a relative term. If the two hose quick disconnects and the two pins on the valve cover are more than you can bare, thence.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Important fact, the Ford Seperator is the only Emission Certified Part. Makes a difference for many when bolting anything on your engine. If not, save your old hose to sell with car. Use of anything is a most though. I would stay with Factory part.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Important fact, the Ford Seperator is the only Emission Certified Part. Makes a difference for many when bolting anything on your engine. If not, save your old hose to sell with car. Use of anything is a most though. I would stay with Factory part.
Man...you are one solid, warranty averse dude, LOL! HaHa!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have FP ones on both sides. The left side does get moist but no measurable oil in it usually. I just unscrew the tops and use a syringe to clean them.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Jim, good point, I have the JLT (which works fine) and it takes all of 5 seconds to remove/replace the hose assembly...definitely keep the stock hose!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Jim, good point, I have the JLT (which works fine) and it takes all of 5 seconds to remove/replace the hose assembly...definitely keep the stock hose!
I ended up with the the FP version (warranty averse?....). Does the JLT (can) secure to anything? The FP unit has a bracket to the valve cover. Seems relevant if I Track the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ended up with the the FP version (warranty averse?....). Does the JLT (can) secure to anything? The FP unit has a bracket to the valve cover. Seems relevant if I Track the car.
The driver side JLT oil separator comes with a bracket that mounts to an existing hole on the strut tower. The passenger side doesn't. I spoke to JLT and they set me up with a bracket and longer hoses so I could mount my passenger side oil separator.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went with the FP separator, installed it a couple of days ago. It looks much nicer than the JLT I have in my GT. May switch that out for an FP one of these days purely for esthetics.

Reactions: JimT

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went with the FP separator, installed it a couple of days ago. It looks much nicer than the JLT I have in my GT. May switch that out for an FP one of these days purely for esthetics.
I agree, looks a lot better too. The way it attaches to the valve cover makes me feel much better.

(BTW, love the orange!).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree, looks a lot better too. The way it attaches to the valve cover makes me feel much better.

(BTW, love the orange!).
I don't like the way the JLT has no attachment point(s) except for the hoses. Wasn't sure I'd like the orange based on photos I saw but it really pops in the sun. It certainly sparks conversations at the gas stations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts