Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t stand the Alantara (faux sh....) on the steering wheel, especially when I sneezed on it and it took 10 minutes to get the stain out of it.

I found this alternative at CJ Pony parts, a Full Perferated Leather Wheel. No Alantara, Red center stripe and cheaper that OEM or Carbon Fiber wheels. If you look on site I asked for fitment to my car (2107) and answer was Yes! Order Placed. I will post pic once I get installed.

7CDB3FBB-F8B2-4CB7-AB5A-1EE7F345A615.png

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steerin...black-stitching-red-stripe-2015-2017/p/STW81/

·
Registered
757 Posts
Another option, that I am looking at, is going with carbon fiber & leather.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90657

But for the price, CJ's leather steering wheel is attractive.
Dave, I'm part of that group buy and still awaiting my wheel. Most of the group got their wheels a ways back but their are 6 of us left waiting. The original company supplying DCTMS had QC issues and they had to switch production facilities. Should be here soon and Terrance aka Hans Solo/50 Deep has been very good about keeping us updated. The ones who already got their wheels were VERY happy with the quality and they do appear to be nice wheels. You might check with 50 Deep as they do have a few wheels (last I heard) from the original batch that folks backed out on after ordering...

·
Registered
757 Posts
JT, please keep us updated on your new wheel and pics once mounted would be fantastic, thx!

One way or the other I will have a new wheel, the faux suede isn't so much getting dirty as wearing quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I couldn’t stand the Alantara (faux sh....) on the steering wheel, especially when I sneezed on it and it took 10 minutes to get the stain out of it.

I found this alternative at CJ Pony parts, a Full Perferated Leather Wheel. No Alantara, Red center stripe and cheaper that OEM or Carbon Fiber wheels. If you look on site I asked for fitment to my car (2107) and answer was Yes! Order Placed. I will post pic once I get installed.

View attachment 7314

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steerin...black-stitching-red-stripe-2015-2017/p/STW81/
LOL Im imagining you wiping snot off of your wheel. Dying.

Let us know how it looks. Im eager to see.

·
Registered
757 Posts
JT, we have two excellent upholstery guys here in Simi. I was thinking as my faux suede starts to wear I'll likely have him replace the center faux suede seat panels with nice perforated leather panels and leave the upper "GT350" area of the seats (that don't get wear) and the bolsters in the faux suede and cloth to tie in the rest of the interior. Hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JT, we have two excellent upholstery guys here in Simi. I was thinking as my faux suede starts to wear I'll likely have him replace the center faux suede seat panels with nice perforated leather panels and leave the upper "GT350" area of the seats (that don't get wear) and the bolsters in the faux suede and cloth to tie in the rest of the interior. Hope that makes sense?
Thanks Brad, I have a few Dealerships up here that use Leather services. Classic Fine Trim is one of them (Hayward,CA). Do you have any idea of cost? I have replaced many factory covers (Hog Rings and all) and it’s far from hard. I guess cost would be the answer.

·
Registered
757 Posts
OMG, you didn't say "Hog Rings" did you? Painful memories, I redid the interior on a 1973 Mustang Convertible and it was a nightmare. The originals were rusted, matter of fact I still have the hog ring pliers in my toolbox, LOL!! Now it's all plastic panels that clip to the seat frames (and zippers in some areas) even easier.

I haven't checked on our seats but a neighbor had his leather seat panels (bottom cushion) replaced in premium leather for under two hundred. Upholstery guy removed seats and covers and re-sewed the new panels in and it looked factory... I'm thinking a nice premium perforated leather (so it will breathe a bit)... Coming home from Knott's Berry Farm this past Sunday, it was a warm day and the seats were definitely heating up. I had windows down and no AC going though (how can you muffle the wondrous sound of 4 GT350s cruising in formation :)) The underpasses were AWESOME ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my new Steering Wheel today, Looks awesome. Took about an hour to install, easy-peasy. Great buy, highly recommend.

ACDE2B26-E201-467B-8D6C-909F1691B332.jpeg

CJ Pony parts performed a little overkill in packing the steering wheel for shipment... lol. :rolleyes:

C357231C-EF7E-4231-9D0F-D72B72781938.jpeg

Nothing like a 3’ box for a steering wheel, trust me, a lot of air in that box! I am very pleased with this purchase.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Jim, that looks fantastic!! Can't wait to get mine...if for some reason they don't get produced, this will be the route I take. I like the perforated leather and the red stripe! Thank for sharing!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim, that looks fantastic!! Can't wait to get mine...if for some reason they don't get produced, this will be the route I take. I like the perforated leather and the red stripe! Thank for sharing!!
Took a mountain drive this afternoon, the sculpturing of this steering wheel body is so superior to the OEM wheel, feels real good to hold on to. Slip grip of the wheel around corners now feels natural, that Alcantara catches in my hands, put on Racing gloves and no way. Yeah Brad, this is the answer if your CF vaporizes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got my new Steering Wheel today, Looks awesome. Took about an hour to install, easy-peasy. Great buy, highly recommend.

View attachment 7426

CJ Pony parts performed a little overkill in packing the steering wheel for shipment... lol. :rolleyes:

View attachment 7434

Nothing like a 3’ box for a steering wheel, trust me, a lot of air in that box! I am very pleased with this purchase.
Nice! I just received my 3rd set of floor mats from CJ's. I have 3 different sets of floor mats for changing seasons. I also got an extra chin splitter. Stocking up for down the road, just in case. I figure I will try to get as much out of the stock alcantara as I can before making any changes. Thanks for sharing the pic. 20180515_154400.jpg

·
Registered
757 Posts
To each his own right, but I think that’s the point.
Galaxy, pretty sure you're correct; however, I'm (personally) just not a fan of Alcantara (anything) and I'm not even convinced the stuff Ford is using is genuine Alcantara? But worse to me is the way it's wearing, mine is clean but already starting to look a bit threadbare at 5K miles. I checked out a 2014 Boss 302 and his Alcantara/faux suede wheel looked awful. I'm going to replace it now before it's totally worn out and if I ever sell the GT350 I'll swap it back in and sell the aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
757 Posts
JT, looks like the "final 6" of us aren't going to be getting our CF/Leather wheels from DCTMS. Unfortunate as they are a nice wheel and the other 40+ recipients seemed to really like the quality of the wheels they received. I have one last inquiry in to them and if no progress then I'm getting the CJ wheel you did. Just checked out CJ's site and they have a Carbon Fiber/Leather wheel as well as full leather - see below:
(Note: the pics are not the best as the side leather looks like suede, but it's actually smooth leather)

CJPP-CFandLeather wheel.jpg

CJPP-full leather wheel.jpg

·
Registered
757 Posts
At first I'm liking the CF but it has red stitching and no perforations in the side leather...I'll likely get the same one you did.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At first I'm liking the CF but it has red stitching and no perforations in the side leather...I'll likely get the same one you did.
You’ll like the all Leather. I have a problem with the Carbon Fiber getting hot in the sun. Lexus used them and received customer complaints over high heat in the CF sections. Still no complaints on my new. Worked well at the track.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts