Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great document! I'm still scarred from my youth when I changed the oil in my first car.. it was up on ramps and I moved around to get the filter in.. and then put my head straight back into the oil drain pan.. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great info & fotos, that is a STRANGE plastic drain plug.

FOOTNOTE: BE SURE TO TORQUE THE OIL FILTER TO SPEC of 16-18 Ft Lbs, (see page 36 of Owner Manual Supplement)! (VIBRATION & REVS CAN CAUSE IT TO LOOSEN & CAN BLOW A MOTOR.)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great info (if I had the spin on filter...). I think Ford owes everyone with a spin on filter the conversion to the Canister!

The plastic oil pan plug? Really? I just saw it pop up as a replacement part on a few web sites, obviously not a lifetime part!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nothing wrong with the spin on oil filter as long as you oil the gasket and torque it to proper specifications. And those that have converted to the canister have said its expensive. Ford ain't gonna pay to do that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anyone have the torque specs for the 2017 <later model> canister type. I'm going to change my own oil very soon. Lou you out there, I think you did your own as well?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I kinda like the idea of the plastic drain plug, no way for it to damage the metal threads it's going into from over torquing.
And the OP mentioned it's a hand-tighten till it locks in, looking forward to checking that out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That plastic plug looks like something I want to keep an extra of. Saw LMR is offering them in maintenance items now.

10 quarts of oil is a pain for me to cart to local recycle. I usually let a shop do this work, but I’d have that extra plug for the one that breaks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anyone have the torque specs for the 2017 <later model> canister type. I'm going to change my own oil very soon. Lou you out there, I think you did your own as well?
Always do my own, period! It's in the owners manual BTW. Not being a jerk, just didn't have it to memory, in case you didn't know it was in there. And I'm pretty darn sure it's the same as the spin on filter anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great guide. There are several YouTube videos on changing the oil in the GT350. The best I've seen is at [video=youtube;wltbLPK8nUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltbLPK8nUU[/video]. Take care to get the right filter for your model year.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation for a lift or ramp set?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Great guide. There are several YouTube videos on changing the oil in the GT350. The best I've seen is at [video=youtube;wltbLPK8nUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltbLPK8nUU[/video]. Take care to get the right filter for your model year.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation for a lift or ramp set?
That looks like the vid from Auto Fanatics...he's got some great vids for our rides!! Of note, next change I'm definitely going to remove the driver's front wheel for better access to the filter canister...was a pain last time and made a mess!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts