Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new Shelby GT350 is leaking gear oil at the cooler line that's at the back, bottom of the differential. The bolt is tight. Could possibly be that 90° angle bung. Anyone else experience this? I didn't find anything with a search.

TIA,
Adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, have the same issue with my 2018 Shelby GT350. 125 miles and in the shop. Line is back-ordered 3 weeks. Dealer is telling me, there are 53 of these lines on order in their system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's the actual line that's bad? I assume it's leaking where the rubber meets the metal?

Are they telling you to just drive it? Mine doesn't leak much, and it just started at 200 miles. At least not leaking much while parked and there's not a ton of fluid around the area that I can see. But I'm wondering if it gets sprayed more when that pump is running.

Does anyone know when that pump runs? Is it always running or is it on a thermostat switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine looks to be leaking where the line goes inside the fitting on the diff cover. I was told I can keep driving it but after another 125 miles the leak has gotten considerably worse while parked. I bet I have collected and wiped up 1/2 a quart of gear oil in the last two weeks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, mine also looks like it's leaking at that fitting where one end moves freely into the threaded bolt.

1/2 a quart? really? that's a lot. I find that leaks on the floor look much worse than they are. Take a table spoon full of oil and pour it on the floor and come back in an hour, I bet it looks like a gallon. Take a gallon and put it down and you'll think you struck black gold in your garage and will be rich one you pump it all out and sell it to Exxon!

But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I have cardboard under mine now in the garage to help me monitor it (and clean it up). I also don't drive it daily. Plus, it's going in to the dealer for a new splitter anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you have a part number? I'd like to give my dealer a heads up to order it early.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh MAN! that's a lot. Is that one day? I would not keep driving it without at least topping off the fluid level. OR, if the part is back ordered, put in a regular drain plug so that the pumpkin stays full. That way you can drive it normally. Don't track it like that, but regular driving is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The oil on the mat is from one day and the plastic container is a week. Dealer told me to stop driving the car last Monday, when I asked them to top of fluid level. Had a 30* temperature difference between the trans and diff, which made me think the fluid is getting low. I thought about plugging both cooler lines, but didn't want to cause damage to pump. Going to wait for the part before driving anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please keep me posted as to long it takes for the parts to come in. I'll do the same when I bring it in next week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I only have 90 miles on my 2018 and don't see any leaks yet. I'll keep watching it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My brand new GT350 differential is leaking. I am probably the biggest Ford fan here, but I can't help but state the obvious. I have never purchased a new vehicle in my life that I couldn't drive because the POS is broke down for 3 weeks for a backordered part. The morning after just driving it home from the dealership I noticed a small puddle on the ground under the differential.

If there are any Ford or Shelby employees on this forum I want to say that I have owned a large number of fast cars in my time and I believe in solutions and not insults or just complaining.

There are those of us that don't have any desire to take our GT350 to a road coarse style track to race. I might do it one time to drive the car by itself around the track one time, but I have no desire to race it. I care more about the 1/4 mile times, pulling away from a Challenger, Charger, Camaro and reliability.

I am aware of why the differential cooler was added to these cars for racing purposes. I would suggest for us drag racers and regular street drivers that don't ever road race (lap after lap, etc..) an option to disconnect the differential cooler and just plug the holes on the differential. The differential cooler would still be there (for the next buyer or if the owner decides to race it), but not connected. In a regular street driving situation and/or a rare or one time 1/4 mile run the car would in no way need the differential cooler. For people like myself the car would be 10000 more times more reliable without it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking we can use simple drain plugs in place of the lines on the diff cover and just drain out the fluid in the cooler. I don't know how / when the pump comes on, but maybe just unplug that. This is my thinking for a temp solution if the part is back ordered for any extended period of time and my leak gets worse. Otherwise, there will be hell to pay for me to have this brand new $65k car sitting in my garage doing nothing BUT LEAKING! Hell, I traded a `64 GTO for this, and that car didn't have any reliability problems!

·
Registered
5 Posts
just took in my 2018 Shelby gt350 380 miles on it. Rear diff cooler line return leaking oil. No word on parts from Ford. So now my brand new Snake has to sit. Kinda sucks. Guess this is kinda a big problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What are you saying, that it's in the dealership and sitting there awaiting parts? I'm not having any of that! My leak is slow and I want to keep driving it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is disturbing news to hear. These are brand new vehicles and they are supposed to be above the average Stangs. I was so enthused when 18Venom went and picked his up. After 3 years in production, I would figure these nuances have been addressed but SVT is failing in this department big time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is disturbing news to hear. These are brand new vehicles and they are supposed to be above the average Stangs. I was so enthused when 18Venom went and picked his up. After 3 years in production, I would figure these nuances have been addressed but SVT is failing in this department big time.
What about the 20,000+ other GT350s that aren't having problems?

·
Registered
90 Posts
As long as Ford is addressing the issues that's the best they can do. If you don't want a mass produced product that has a failure rate, then go find custom shops and have them build you one from scratch.

I'm sure people have encountered any number of products in any category that have had issues because of mass production. That's the way it works. Let the company fix the problem. I understand frustration, but that's how capitalism works. You aren't guarenteed a perfect product with 0 defects. Completely unrealistic.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts